VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Horschdt

RE: VERSION 2.0 RELEASED! Star Trek The Picard Era mod for DW:Universe

Post by Horschdt »

thanks for fast reply, yes, in fact the game didnt allow me to build the default ones at gas planets because it had no gas extractors, i manually build those there and didnt really look into it.. until i ran auf of ´gas´. I use these ´fast-select´buttons (no idea how they are called) at the planet at the start of the game cause u only have ur starting tech and it makes no real sense to design new ones .. and apparantly the gas mining station wasnt available at this point and i did build normal mining station ... sry for screaming.
dejagore

Post by dejagore »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

ORIGINAL: Horschdt

Hi,

is there a reason for NOT including gas extractors in the default mining stations???!! I mean.. aarrghh..!!

fresh game start, just downloaded the mod from this very website.
There are gas extractors in the Ship DesignTemplates for Gas Mining Stations. So you're saying your
default gas mining station design doesn't have any?

If not for a workaround, just design a new station. Very soon we will be providing a mod version update to
Universe 1.9.5.11. I'll make a point to look into it then.

ehsumrell1 - is current version of mod compatible with 1.9.5.11 ? Also, when do You plan to upload updated version of mod that You mentioned in post above ?

Also - many thanks for hard work on that mod. It's marvellous!
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: dejagore

ehsumrell1 - is current version of mod compatible with 1.9.5.11 ? Also, when do You plan to upload updated version of mod that You mentioned in post above ?

Also - many thanks for hard work on that mod. It's marvellous!
Hello dejagore;

Thanks for the kind words! [&o]

Currently I'm on a traditionally mandated mini-vacation (Tax season just ended). My team members
are currently testing the mod using version 1.9.5.11. So far, my first early preliminary report says
no crashes and all is well and compatible, but I know there are some tweaks to be done. Most of the
new changes/additions Elliot put in the update affect only the DW game executable file.

I'm not pressuring myself to provide an upload date for STPE Version 2.5 yet. I've just decided that
I felt one was necessary. Also, in the meanwhile, work is progressing on our Star Trek The Kirk Era
mod Version 1.0
. I haven't discussed with the team yet as to any release date target for either yet,
although I can speculate and say that the Picard Era Version 2.5 release will be foremost on my
schedule to complete for release. Thanks for the continued support of our efforts!
[:)]

Attachments
SpockLLAP.jpg
SpockLLAP.jpg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 294 times
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
draugluinfv

Post by draugluinfv »

Was looking over the tech list and noticed that you have the Federation blocked from researching Stealth. However this also blocks the Federation from researching Deep Space Arrays and Directional Jump sensing. This also blocks the Federation from building Spy academies. Is this intentional? It seems weird to have the Federation blocked from getting the best scanners and sensors.
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Hi draugluinfv,

For game playability, all core races have their strengths and weaknesses. The Federation has strengths to offset these banned techs.

Note, the federation can still research long range scanners, just not the best one.

Enjoy! Live long and prosper.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
DWSignature.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 294 times
zoommooz11

Post by zoommooz11 »

Just a quick question, in my last four games (random, huge, long research) I have noticed that the borg (and only them) never get more than one planet, even though I checked and there are plenty of their type, and also plenty of borg independents near them. Also, their home world (only world) has about 80 troops stationed on it. I remember in version one games they expanded fine, so is there an issue here? Has anyone else seen this?
zoommooz11

Post by zoommooz11 »

ORIGINAL: draugluinfv

Was looking over the tech list and noticed that you have the Federation blocked from researching Stealth. However this also blocks the Federation from researching Deep Space Arrays and Directional Jump sensing. This also blocks the Federation from building Spy academies. Is this intentional? It seems weird to have the Federation blocked from getting the best scanners and sensors.

I changed this in my own game, as I always thought the fed had some of the best tech/scanners. Of course they are my favourites so I am a bit biased.
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Hi zoommooz11,

The Borgs in my own game (see below). Borgs are brown, 10 colonies in 8 systems at game years 25.

You could chalk up your games to the luck of the draw. The Borgs are aggressive and if they tread on the wrong neighbors too early in the game, they can be seriously curbed. The Borg's are weak at the start.

Wait in your game, you might see a Borg resurgence.

Enjoy! Live long and prosper.

Attachments
20150420_053204.jpg
20150420_053204.jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 294 times
Knickers

Post by Knickers »

I don't mean to be that guy, but the plural form of borg is borg. Sort of like a sheep, and the sheep.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Knickers

I don't mean to be that guy, but the plural form of borg is borg. Sort of like a sheep, and the sheep.

Please members, let's not open the opportunity to derail the thread with negative banter due to these kinds of unnecessary posts
that have nothing to do with the mod or its playability.
Shadow43

Post by Shadow43 »

I have this strange error and I am not sure what is going on, however I have a feeling I know what is causing this error, but not sure how to fix it.

When I start a new game and use the UFP Milky Way Galaxy Map, I get this error "This is not a valid Distant Worlds game file", then I get a Microsoft (dot)NET Framework error, after that game file error.

However if I load the tutorial or a custom game, there is no error and the seems to load file, which leads me to think it is something to do with the map.

I have Distant Worlds Universe Ver. 1.9.5.0
Does anyone have a fix for this problem?
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Sorry you're experiencing problems Shadow43.

First thing I'd try is to patch Distance Worlds Universe up to 1,9,5,10. If that doesn't solve your problem then I'm afraid you have a corrupt copy of Distance Worlds STPE Ver. 2 mod and you will need to download a fresh copy and reinstall it into your DW Customization folder.

Enjoy, live long and prosper.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
DWSignature.jpg (89.73 KiB) Viewed 294 times
Malbek

Post by Malbek »

Thanks for the excellent mod! I am enjoying it immensely. I had a question: the Federation start-up lacks any gas mining bases and the initial design is unbuildable. My first game I didn't notice this for a while and couldn't build any at that point as I lacked the resources, started a new game and re-designed the gas miner to be smaller, worked fine. Late game I've hit a crash that occurs consistently, the Klingons have blockaded Earth, I direct my fleet to attack them, and after a few seconds the game crashes. Could I have too many ships in one system, both my fleet and the Klingons have about 150+ ships combined at Earth and I have an insane amount of fighters present. I know this game is locked at 2GB ram and LAA patch doesn't seem to help so I'm thinking it might benefit the mod in more ways than one to make ships more expensive to build and maintain so the late game fleets of hundreds of ships is reduced to a more stable number.

(edit: I should add that the reason they could blockade earth in the first place is that my starbase there would not finish refitting with a LRS so they just snuck in an unwatched flank. Other bases of the exact same design refit successfully right away but the earth one did not, perhaps that has something to do with the crash)
ravincravin

Post by ravincravin »

Hi Malbek,

Sorry about the glitches.

No starting Gas Mining Base design: Yeah, the starting base exceeds the minimum base size. You did the right thing by modifying the design.

Constant Crash: Oops! that is beyond my expertise. I'll have to bump that to ehsumrell1 who is busy working on the mods new version. I'll bring it to his attention.

Base can't be refitted with Long Range Scanner: First, check the planet building queue. It may be stuck building something else which it doesn't have a commodity to finish. Delete that item and move the starbase refit up in the queue so it's next to be built. Second, if the planet is trying to do the refit than it might be out of a component for the Long Distance Scanner. You can check the planets inventory to see if it has all the components to build the scanner. If it doesn't, then you'll have to wait for a freighter to deliver the mission components.

Anyways, enjoy and live long & prosper.

Attachments
DWSignature.jpg
DWSignature.jpg (89.73 KiB) Viewed 294 times
perrisloquis

Post by perrisloquis »

Hey Guys! Thank you very much for making such an amazing mod! I have a very quick question. I cannot for the life of me find Das's Chrome mod for Star Trek. Did he ever post it?
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: perrisloquis

Hey Guys! Thank you very much for making such an amazing mod! I have a very quick question. I cannot for the life of me find Das's Chrome mod for Star Trek. Did he ever post it?
Hello perrisloquis, and thank you for the kind words. Yes he did post it on Mediafire. Here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/265j6slhvn5opsv/Das_UI_for_Star_Trek_Picard_Era_2.0_Mod.zip

It should be completely compatible for Version 1.0. Not certain about Version 2.0. Just FYI. For any
questions or problems please PM Das123.
[:)]
perrisloquis

Post by perrisloquis »

Thank you so much! I can confirm that it's 100% compatible. Why don't you link to it in the original post? I'm sure people will be very happy to have the option to use it and be able to find it easily!
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Thank you so much! I can confirm that it's 100% compatible. Why don't you link to it in the original post? I'm sure people will be very happy to have the option to use it and be able to find it easily!
It is Darren's (Das123) proprietary mod and we respect that. Being so, it is up to him as to how and
where it is posted, updated, revised, etc. I don't like broken links to mods, so this way (meaning
just mentioning the mod exists) I don't have to keep updating my original post concerning his if either
he updates his mod or I change/update ours, thus affecting his. Also, his mod is an accessory to, not
a part of, our original mod. He does have his own thread containing his numerous DW Chrome UI mods and
may have added this one.
perrisloquis

Post by perrisloquis »

Ok! I got permission from Das to post his Chrome mod for Star Trek in the forums. I'm thinking about making a visual overhaul package including GEM and Sirian modules, but making sure is 100% compatible with DW:Universe and posting it in a different thread. I wanted to ask you. Did you guys change any of the vanilla modules? Would you be willing to copy a link to the visual overhaul thread in your original post?
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

...I wanted to ask you. Did you guys change any of the vanilla modules? Would you be willing to copy a link to the visual overhaul thread in your original post?
You can look into our mods' images/ui/chrome folder to compare against Vanilla and see what we changed.
If your mod relates to our Picard Era mod(s), I have no problem mentioning a link to it.

Return to “Design and Modding”