Suggestions: New Player

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

VegasOZ

Suggestions: New Player

Post by VegasOZ »

I just got the game and have about 4 hours into it so far.

I have a few suggestions to propose.

Map Graphic Clutter:

Have the Question Marks disappear after the player clicks on them. They are a nice historical touch but do clutter the view greatly.

Reduce the size of the Red X markers, they are way too chunky looking, ugly really.

Reduce the size of the RED FIRING LINES. Too big, a much thinner line would be perfect and we do not need the arrows embedded in the line.

Movement Hex indicators (the Blue Arrow Hex markers): Why not just Shade the REACHABLE HEXES with a shadow color or small light blue DOTS. The current Blue Arrow indicators with all the different directional arrows are very cluttered and in fact obscure the view of the terrain and other units that are in the area of the REACHABLE HEXES.

Command Radius: Again, why not just a Shaded Hex effect instead of the Thick Red Line.

Frankly I think the Smoke effects in Forge of Freedom are better and BAB should incorporate them.

Interface: Add a Music Volume Slider or check boxes for 100/75/50/25 percent volume. I like the Music but would like to be able to turn the volume down WITHOUT losing the volume for Voice and Sound/Battle effects.

Voice acting: I would dearly like to see somebody MOD these effects. The present ones are somewhat "cheezy" sounding, in my opinion, BUT I do like the purpose and effect of having the voice information.

Comment: I own Forge of Freedom and if I recall correctly the player had a choice or some level of control over what targets the units could fire at. I would like to at least see that the player has the ability to direct Artillery Fire at a chosen target instead of one picked by the Friendly AI.

Lastly, the Musket Ripple sound in Forge of Freedom is much better in my view. I think the Musket fire and Cannon Fire sounds should be improved. The firing sounds in the John Tiller Civil War games is much more effective and appealing. I'd like to hear something more like those sounds.

Thanks.
zakblood

RE: Suggestions: New Player

Post by zakblood »

Question Marks can be removed, just it takes you to edit a file.

and the rest is choice tbh, with some liking it, others not, but all opinions are equal here so thanks for the comments either way, one of the developers may chip in there's as well, and offer comments far better than i can.

just wanted to knock one item at least off the list[&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
marion61

Post by marion61 »

Which file do you edit to take them off? The question marks.
Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

plus one to tuen off ?
Shadow Empire beta tester
valor and victory beta tester
DW2 DLC beta tester
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

that's for the developers to answer, as while i can do it and have the knowledge, i don't have the permission atm either, so plus if done incorrectly the file doesn't work, it's easy to do and easy to change back as long as you back up first, so one of the developers will give a reply when there on, if you wish to have them removed that it's.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: starbuck310

plus one to tuen off ?

it's not a switch where you can have them on or off, it involves editing manually a file in each folder which then will get rid of the question marks in that battle, as there are a few battles, it's not one edit either, it's for each battle, so needs to be done right and a back up made so you don't alter by mistake, and can change back if needed, as each patch will re do what you have edited anyway.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Question Marks can be removed, just it takes you to edit a file.

and the rest is choice tbh, with some liking it, others not, but all opinions are equal here so thanks for the comments either way, one of the developers may chip in there's as well, and offer comments far better than i can.

just wanted to knock one item at least off the list[&o]

Maybe it would be an improvement if the Question Marks (too big, too Yellow) were replaced by a simple icon with crossed swords like is used in some games to mark a spot where a battle was fought. The point is the style of the look of the maps is really well done and gives that Civil War feeling but then there is this HUGE Question Mark cluttering up the countryside. It's like the Tourists left all their lunch trash and plastic bottles all over the battlefield... LOL

In any case the Question Marks should be replaced by something that is less intrusive, or as I suggest simply have them removed after the Player clicks on them so that the Historical Information is transmitted but then dispensed with. I do not need to click on the Question Mark that tells me about Logan's Crossing more than once.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Oh, I see my response about zoom levels wasn't needed after all. I hope you find the zoom levels to your liking!

Yes, you can remove the question marks manually, though one scenario at a time. Just go into the scenario's subfolder (inside the SCENARIOS folder) and open maptags.txt, and delete the X,Y coordinates and accompanying text. (A menu option that turns off the question marks would be a nice thing to have, but of course that's a much lower priority than the other things Eric has had to work on over the past five weeks.)

Several of your suggestions are more long-term things than critical fixes, so please copy your post to the Wish List thread, where ideas can be consulted more easily in the future. Thanks!
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Oh, I see my response about zoom levels wasn't needed after all. I hope you find the zoom levels to your liking!

Yes, you can remove the question marks manually, though one scenario at a time. Just go into the scenario's subfolder (inside the SCENARIOS folder) and open maptags.txt, and delete the X,Y coordinates and accompanying text. (A menu option that turns off the question marks would be a nice thing to have, but of course that's a much lower priority than the other things Eric has had to work on over the past five weeks.)

Several of your suggestions are more long-term things than critical fixes, so please copy your post to the Wish List thread, where ideas can be consulted more easily in the future. Thanks!

I found the file where the "symbols" page is located and there is an Icon with crossed swords on that "page". Even changing to those crossed swords would be a big improvement over the Question Marks.

I understand that these are Cosmetic issues and are therefore lower on the "to do" list, even if they are adopted.

Thanks.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

Yes, the Zoom issue was solved for me when I took a look at the "online" presentation of the Maps on the Product page. I was able to see that there is a considerable zoom in capability. That sold me and I bought the game.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

question mark removal instructions

tm.asp?m=3865474&mpage=1&key=&#3865477
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

question mark removal instructions

tm.asp?m=3865474&mpage=1&key=�

I think I may be misunderstood about the Question Marks. I DO NOT object to the idea of having the Historical locations pointed out, in fact I LOVE IT. My suggestions and objection is only to the graphic of the Question Mark itself. Either have it removed after it is clicked on --OR-- replace it with a smaller (less intrusive) graphic/icon that is more in keeping with the "flavor" of the Civil War look of the Maps.

I DO NOT suggest that the Historical Interest Points be eliminated, NOT at all...

Thanks
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

on or off is all i can do, to add a switch or one off use would take coding time so may or may not happen and is out of my zone of can do i'm sorry to say,i can alter minor stuff and edit stuff with the editor, but altering code is out of my depth, but did understand your question just gave a option for others if it was needed or wanted.

and you make some good points and raise some good stuff to post in the wish list
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

What zakblood said -- please add the idea of shrinking question marks (which I like) to the Wish List thread. It's the sort of thing Eric might do when the more pressing changes are out of the way.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

on or off is all i can do, to add a switch or one off use would take coding time so may or may not happen and is out of my zone of can do i'm sorry to say,i can alter minor stuff and edit stuff with the editor, but altering code is out of my depth, but did understand your question just gave a option for others if it was needed or wanted.

and you make some good points and raise some good stuff to post in the wish list

There was a similar issue in Order of Battle: Pacific with the Japanese Rising Sun Flag "box" spinning when the AI was "thinking" or making it's move. Some of us Players complained about it because it was like one of those old movie "hypnotic spinning wheel" things and was really quite bothersome. The Devs added a switch to turn the "spinning" off the same day but did NOT remove the Rising Sun Flag in total.

What I am suggesting and requesting (for that matter) is that the Question Mark graphic/symbol/icon simply be replaced by a less intrusive item (use the crossed swords that is on the same symbols page and is there now).

LATER, it would be a nice touch to have the Historical Information Icon (whatever it looks like) disappear AFTER the Player clicks on it. That way the History gets transmitted but the Map retains it's Civil War flavor and style.

I would suggest that over 90 percent of the players in Order of Battle: Pacific are using the check box to turn off the Spinning Rising Sun Flag. I'll wager a dollar to a donut that a similar majority would like to see the Question Mark (mucking up my Civil War Battlefied) replaced by a more stylish icon/symbol.

Thanks
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ask and if it can be done it maybe done, wish list and then it's wait and see and i also agree would be cool and hasn't been mentioned before either[;)]

good to great suggestions as well btw
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ
Frankly I think the Smoke effects in Forge of Freedom are better and BAB should incorporate them.

Lastly, the Musket Ripple sound in Forge of Freedom is much better in my view. I think the Musket fire and Cannon Fire sounds should be improved. The firing sounds in the John Tiller Civil War games is much more effective and appealing. I'd like to hear something more like those sounds.

Thanks for the feedback. The smoke graphics, the code for drawing the smoke, the weapon sound effects, and the code for triggering the weapon sound effects are the same in "Forge of Freedom" as in "Brother against Brother" so there must be some externality that makes these things appear better to you in FOF than in BAB.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

Thanks for the feedback. The smoke graphics, the code for drawing the smoke, the weapon sound effects, and the code for triggering the weapon sound effects are the same in "Forge of Freedom" as in "Brother against Brother" so there must be some externality that makes these things appear better to you in FOF than in BAB.

That is interesting, I think the difference to me may be a consequence of the game not always executing the sound and graphics. I assume that any time there is a "firing arrow" there should be a corresponding sound effect and in most cases a smoke effect. In BAB quite often when there is a firing arrow there is no sound and no smoke graphic. Then there is, then there isn't. In FOF the trigger seems to be smoother and more consistent, at least on my modest rig.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Firing arrows only show when an attack is being considered by a unit, but the smoke/sound only trigger if an actual attack is being made.

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”