Good to know !

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

Ronald Wendt

Good to know !

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello,

in this thread there will be some hints that might come in handy while playing Germany at War.

First hint:

If you want to know how you have to solve a map, press 'O' to get to the objectives.

In the objectives you find an explanation text and in it some underlined names of objectives like towns or units.

These underlined expression work like a hyperlink - clicking on them will execute a jump to the location of the objective on the map. This only works, if the location is known, e.g. units may not be seen due to fog of war so there won't be an underline.

The image shows what happens if you seek Mogilev this way:

Attachments
Objectives.jpg
Objectives.jpg (412.72 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Ronald Wendt

RE: Good to know !

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Germany at War offers a combat protocol so you can analyse the battles.

Did you know all fights of a mission are stored ?

You can access all battles of all turns by clicking on the flags. So you can review the opponents and your own actions as well as all results.

Attachments
Combatprotocol.jpg
Combatprotocol.jpg (316.61 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

For those who play multiplayer:

Did you know you can start a multiplayer game with a custum map ?

You simply have to place your map in C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Germany at War\ in a folder you call 'Multiplayer' .

Then the map can be found where you create new challenges.

The oppenent will not have to posses the map on his computer as all necessary data will be uploaded to the server.

Attachments
Custommul..yermaps.jpg
Custommul..yermaps.jpg (271 KiB) Viewed 722 times
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

Thanks.

New purchaser here and this was helpful.

Question on part two of the AGN campaign, there is no German airfield so how do planes rearm?
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello,
ORIGINAL: comsolut

Thanks.

New purchaser here and this was helpful.

Question on part two of the AGN campaign, there is no German airfield so how do planes rearm?

good to know this thread helps.

Yes in the Tallinn area you can only rearm after you have taken the Tallinn airfield. So airstrikes have to be placed wisely.

Regards,
Ronald Wendt

Good to know ! - Modding: 2d maps

Post by Ronald Wendt »

For modders and those who prefer 2d maps you can add an png-image that is named like the scenario with .2d.png at the end. If your map is named Finland.scn, you would need Finland.2d.png to get such a background instead of the 3d environment:

Attachments
WesternRussia0000.jpg
WesternRussia0000.jpg (548.08 KiB) Viewed 725 times
sillyflower

RE: Good to know ! - Modding: 2d maps

Post by sillyflower »

Question:
How can one resupply a unit without also adding replacements? If can't currently, I submit that that's worth adding in.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Ronald Wendt

RE: Good to know ! - Refit options

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello sillyflower,
ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Question:
How can one resupply a unit without also adding replacements? If can't currently, I submit that that's worth adding in.

Germany at War offers three different modes of supply you can play choose from. In each of them strength, ammo and fuel can be handled seperalty. e.g. you could just add one ammo to a unit in a turn and nothing else. Depending on the mode this is could be madness, still you can do it.

There is a picture attached that shows some more details on refitting:

1) shows how the game communicates with the player. If you hover over single elements like a red jerry can, the game will show tooltips with additional information. e.g. if an element is grey, it shows why (e.g. no resources for this). This also works for the refit button as you can see in the picture where you also are informed about the experience points the unit is going to loose.

2) the area right of the symbols can be used to set each line to maximum. The red (empty) ones are highlighted to show they will be green after a click.

3) you can leave out or include anything you wish. Here only some ammo and some fuel will be added.

Attachments
RefitDetails.jpg
RefitDetails.jpg (298.64 KiB) Viewed 722 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

good afternoon, just learning to play game using different tactics etc, love the game btw,

a few questions if i may, from the manual,

could you explain how to get supply , FOW and weather disabled for the russians only

i have played all the small campaigns and have started now on the main one, have played it a few times through now using different tactics upto mission 10/12 etc

but see a few thing i can't find answers for in the manual, wonder if you could shed some light on them, hope its not me just being picky :)

as im still learning the game, mind you i have played the type for over 35+ years in different formats etc, i have selected to have to start to play, learning mode only mind you to have turned off supply, FOW and weather, but after a few turns i also believed it gives the same advantege to the russians as it gives to me, my examples being,

1, russian artillery piece says for example it has only 5/6 ammo, but in any turn i has seen it do more than 1&1/2 more support shots than that.

2, the AI seems to be able to find any unit i have, no matter where it is or how far away it is from any enermy unit.

3, weather has no affect for AI.

1a, just because i have unlimited supply option, i thought it wouldn't also give it to the AI?

2b, FOW means to me that if a unit of either side hasn't been detected it can't be seen? so if i have the option off does this also apply to the AI as it's seems to be able to hit and find anything no matter how i try and keep stuff away from enemy units?

3b, having the weather option on or off makes a difference to me, but i thought it would also do the same for the AI? but can't see it tbh.

played the demo, bought the game, just another one to add to my every growing collection from many many years of happy gaming, many thanks, wish you all the best and hope you success in all what you do, waiting for more of the same to come as we all love them, don't mind if its dlc/missions or more campaigns, new theaters etc, i'll buy them :)
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello zakblood,
ORIGINAL: zakblood

good afternoon, just learning to play game using different tactics etc, love the game btw,

a few questions if i may, from the manual,

could you explain how to get supply , FOW and weather disabled for the russians only

i have played all the small campaigns and have started now on the main one, have played it a few times through now using different tactics upto mission 10/12 etc

but see a few thing i can't find answers for in the manual, wonder if you could shed some light on them, hope its not me just being picky :)

as im still learning the game, mind you i have played the type for over 35+ years in different formats etc, i have selected to have to start to play, learning mode only mind you to have turned off supply, FOW and weather, but after a few turns i also believed it gives the same advantege to the russians as it gives to me, my examples being,

1, russian artillery piece says for example it has only 5/6 ammo, but in any turn i has seen it do more than 1&1/2 more support shots than that.

2, the AI seems to be able to find any unit i have, no matter where it is or how far away it is from any enermy unit.

3, weather has no affect for AI.

1a, just because i have unlimited supply option, i thought it wouldn't also give it to the AI?

2b, FOW means to me that if a unit of either side hasn't been detected it can't be seen? so if i have the option off does this also apply to the AI as it's seems to be able to hit and find anything no matter how i try and keep stuff away from enemy units?

3b, having the weather option on or off makes a difference to me, but i thought it would also do the same for the AI? but can't see it tbh.

played the demo, bought the game, just another one to add to my every growing collection from many many years of happy gaming, many thanks, wish you all the best and hope you success in all what you do, waiting for more of the same to come as we all love them, don't mind if its dlc/missions or more campaigns, new theaters etc, i'll buy them :)

the rule sets apply to both sides. If you experience that the AI does not seem to have the same restrictions as you, we consider it a bug.

If FOW is on, both sides should only see units that are spotted by own units and towns/cities. There were some discussions if the AI is cheating in this respect, which we have to deny. If you can deliver a savegame that shows such a "cheating" or better bug, then please report it. The AI should be strong enough to cope without cheating.

Some goes for artillery that shoots even though it is supposed to be out of ammo, that would be a bug and needs fixing.

In the end it comes down to this: rules are valid for all, anything that seems to bend/break them is most certainly a bug.
To track down bugs we need data in form of logs or savegames. If we get a report or by accident come across them ourselves, they will fixed.
Just sometimes things look like cheating but have a different explanaition. E.g. the AI often recons along roads and towards cities which might feel like it "knows" locations of units as many players place units there for obvious reasons.

Regards,

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

rule set applies to both is all i wanted to know, thanks, did think it so, but was just hoping that it could be set for one side only, as making the game easier for yourself seems to defeat the object if it also helps the AI, still learning so i'll master it with practice, many thanks for the quick reply and sorry for hijacking the thread and maybe going off topic :)

now i know i can leave most if not all bunkers intacked and just move around them and still get the win without the material loss, i'm learning more each time i play, using combined attacks and air power to mainly protect my artillery / engineers etc i'm doing alot better now.

did wonder why their guns fired so many support rounds, now i know that if i turn off/on supply for myself it also does the same for the artillery mad Russians then i also now have a newer reason to turn it back on or alter my game style
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Many thanks Ronald.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
virtus3

RE: Good to know ! -

Post by virtus3 »

I am having difficulty executing three things in Germany at War: moving trips by train, moving them by plane, and picking up paratroopers. Can you give me some guidance?
Ken Vert
Ronald Wendt

RE: Good to know ! -

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello virtus3,
ORIGINAL: virtus3

I am having difficulty executing three things in Germany at War: moving trips by train, moving them by plane, and picking up paratroopers. Can you give me some guidance?

train movement is not working at the moment, this is a bug we already have found and resolved. It will work fine in 1.05 and there will also be a better display for its function and errors with it (blocked rail etc.).

Air transport is often deactivated in the airports depending on the mission/campaign. It should be mentioned in the briefing then.

Anyway for a test of air transport start the A-A campaign, move an infantry unit on the Fliegerkorps V HQ. The unit needs all action points to use an air lift, so you have to end your turn. As soon as the AI has made its move you can select the unit on the airfield and the cursor will change to an aircraft shape if you hover over the hex of the unit. If you click then, it will be embarked and a Ju modell will appear und you can fly away.
But you need another friendly airfield to disembark.

Same procedure is workimng for paratroops except they can disemabark on almost any terrain without and airfield.

Regards,
Ronald Wendt

Good to know ! - Rail transport

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello,

as there not only a fix for it, but also a new feature to display rail transport, this topic is covered in todays "Good to know!".

Mind you a unit has to be in a city in possession of its full Action Points and you need the resources for the transport.

Then all should appear as shown in the picture below:

Attachments
RailTransport.jpg
RailTransport.jpg (512.04 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Ronald Wendt

RE: Good to know ! - Combat window: data switch

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello GaW players,

did you know you have control over the amount of data that is displayed in the combat window ?

Below you can see two examples of the same fight.
1) shows the details like weather influence
2) shows simply the end result

You can expand or collapse the data with the switches on the left as marked at the bottom of the image.

Attachments
CombatWindowRevealed.jpg
CombatWindowRevealed.jpg (303.13 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Ronald Wendt

RE: Good to know ! - objects with resources

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi guys,

as this was asked today i hereby add a new entry to "Good to know!" to explain if objects may have resources to all players explicitly.

All objects may contain resources, but few actually do. To find those you can hover over the objects on the map and find if and how many resources could be gained by the conquest f a certain city, mine or the like.

It comes down to the designer of a map, which addidional benefits an object could cause, e.g. a certain amoutn per turn, new units etc. Bonuses like this are usually communicated via the message window and at the start of the turn.

Attachments
GainResour..xplained.jpg
GainResour..xplained.jpg (226.06 KiB) Viewed 726 times
saminurmela

Post by saminurmela »

ORIGINAL: Ronald Wendt

For modders and those who prefer 2d maps you can add an png-image that is named like the scenario with .2d.png at the end.

A new player here (found about the game accidentally, played the demo and bought immediately as it just feels RIGHT in so many ways compared to many other current offerings), so I'm not sure if this has been clarified somewhere else, but what is the resolution/hex size of the 2d maps? Tried just resizing the Dugno-Brody 1941.png briefing map by four and it is somewhat close but not quite.

Any change to have a small blank grid say 4x4 as a template, or just the pixel size of the hexside?
Or am I totally wrong in my thinking how the game engine expects to see the 2d maps?

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

welcome to the forum saminurmela

i have no answer for you, but i'm sure the poster and developer will have[;)]
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi saminurmela,

every 2d image you include in the described way will be stretched over the whole map you created. So depending on your hexgrid and the resolution of the .2d.png you will get different results.

Everything else depends on what exactly you want to achieve with it. If this does not solve your problem, please open a new thread in the "Mods and Scenarios" section so we can get deeper into this.

Regards,

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”