WMP required?

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

IronWarrior

WMP required?

Post by IronWarrior »

Is Windows Media Player required to run this game? I uninstalled the program after a bug caused it to suck up all available memory. Google it, it's a known issue which MS says only affects a small number of users and will not patch. Anything I can do to have the game use VLC instead? Would hate to ask about a refund (would be my first time ever actually), but cannot play the game.
IronWarrior

RE: WMP required?

Post by IronWarrior »

So I asked a friend to get Windows 7 and the first complaint was that wmpnetwk.exe is taking too much system resources. In some cases the resource consumption goes up to 90%. According to Microsoft, this was a small bug in RTM release but should not happen in the official public release.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... windows-7/

Just an FYI. This was my issue. If no one wants to offer a refund it's cool, just wanted to point this out. I absolutely cannot use WMP, but perhaps my fault for not making sure it wasn't required?
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

You don't need to have network sharing service running to play the game. Personally I absolutely don't want a media player network sharing service running in the background of my system, sharing "media" with absolutely nobody in the best case and with people down the street in the worst case, so one of the first things I did after installing Windows was killing that service.

What this means is that you can play this game if, instead of uninstalling media player, you simply disable the media player services you don't want.
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll try it sometime, but I had long ago uninstalled WMP after it would turn back on after I tried to disable it. Not sure if I want to bother with it all again, but appreciate the help.

Return to “Tech Support”