BaB 1.05Beta update available for testing

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

Gerry Edwards

BaB 1.05Beta update available for testing

Post by Gerry Edwards »

Hello Everyone

Our newest Brother against Brother patch is available for testing here. Below is the change list for this update.

V1.0.5Beta – May 22, 2015
GRAPHICS CHANGE: Commander radius shown only on edges.  Radius is turned on automatically when a commander's HQ is selected
GRAPHICS CHANGE: Show strength bars relative to unit start and break strength.  (Top of strength bar = full strength; bottom = breaking strength).
In PBEM, chat messages are now instead shown in a popup box at the start of the recipient's turn.
Reduced the maximum levels of zoom a little bit.
Made improvements to the appearance of unit text when zooming.
CTRL+Left-Click now selects a unit without re-centering the map
Routed/disordered units are now marked with R or D (respectively) in the OOB list.
GRAPHICS CHANGE: Increased the opacity of graphical overlays.
New hotkeys:
N go to Next unit (functionally equivalent to the Control Box > icon toggle)
P go to Prev unit (functionally equivalent to the Control Box < icon toggle)
C toggle on/off the Command Radius for the selected commander
M toggle on/off the Moved highlight
D toggle on/off the Disordered highlight
R toggle on/off the Ready-to-Fight highlight
O toggle on/off the Out-of-Command highlight
S toggle on/off the Out-of-Supply highlight
H cycle through Victory hexes

Cheers,
Gerry
Those who came before pave the path of tomorrow.
Gil R.

RE: BaB 1.05Beta update available for testing

Post by Gil R. »

[A private message for Erik Rutins: Hey, Erik, guess what's missing from this patch documentation?[:)]]
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

A public message for all:
I don't think that any of the relatively minor scenario changes in this patch will break saves the way 1.03 did for Williamsburg, but just in case it would be prudent to make a backup copy of the scenario folder for any game you are in the middle of. This is easy to do: just go to the SCENARIOS folder and look for the one of 26 sub-folders that has the name of your current scenario, and just copy that to somewhere safe before you install this beta patch.)

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
oldspec4

Post by oldspec4 »

Some good improvements here..appreciate the continued support.
berto

Post by berto »

Among the changes in this new beta, my favorites:
Made improvements to the appearance of unit text when zooming.
GRAPHICS CHANGE: Increased the opacity of graphical overlays.
New hotkeys:
The game looks sharper now. Appreciating the latest improvements! [&o]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Gerry Edwards

Post by Gerry Edwards »

Hello Everyone,

I will be re-uploading the patch momentarily. There is a small problem in the installer i found during my testing. Please look for my following post letting you know it is ready to re-download.

Cheers,
Gerry
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Thank you very much for this new patch! The unit text is beautiful now, and is a much needed and much appreciated fix. I knew you guys had it in you!!

Question:

- For the display of the new command radius only showing the edges - are the red highlighted hexes considered in command or out of command?

Suggestion:

- I love the new option to ctrl-click to select a unit without the map jumping and centering on it. I will use it ALL THE TIME, and it a hassle to always have to hold down the ctrl key. Could you please make this a toggleable gameplay option, such as "left-click centers on unit / left-click does not center on unit" please? If I want to center on my unit, I can scroll the map. It is just cumbersome to always hold down the ctrl key, and the jumping map is disorienting and annoying.

Thank you again for another great patch!

Gerry Edwards

Post by Gerry Edwards »

OK,

It has been re-uploaded please re-download to and begin testing :).
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

What was the issue? The first patch installed fine for me, and the game is running ok.

Will there be problems installing this new patch over my game already patched to 1.05?
Gerry Edwards

Post by Gerry Edwards »

No there will not be.

Just tell it to install and all will be well .

:)
shoelessbivouac

Post by shoelessbivouac »

GRAPHICS CHANGE: Commander radius shown only on edges. Radius is turned on automatically when a commander's HQ is selected

+1

Agree with others ... the game is visually sharper, better defined. Looks good. Will start a new scenario to review game play.
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours --R. Bach
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Thanks for these further improvements - haven't yet tried or seen them all in operation but the clearer command radius and the highlighting of brigade units are already proving a great help.

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”