Best Civilization (like) games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

RE: Best Civilization (like) games

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: map66

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

ORIGINAL: Josh

+1 here, thoroughly enjoyed CIV II and III, not so much IV and V maybe the graphics got too flashy[&:]
There is no successor to Call for Power if I'm correct. Recently I tried some 4x magic games, empire building with some sorcery/magic in it. Like Fallen Enchantress and Endless Legend, where the first is the better imho.

I haven't gotten into Endless Legend yet, thinking about getting it someday. Look interesting, but wasn't sure if I will like it.

I did pick up Endless Legend over last weekends Steam sale (it was also free to play then). I gotta say I haven't been this hooked on a game of the genre in a long, long time. All the concepts are turned on their head in interesting ways that once you get the feel for them, one can't imagine why they weren't doing it like that all along. For example, as far as units go, you don't research new units. Rather, you research weapons and armor, and then create blue prints for your units with the improved equipment. It leads to a much more natural upgrade flow then any other game I've seen in the genre.

One could go on. Short answer is the game is amazing, but maybe not for everyone, and has a somewhat steep learning curve for those even familiar with the genre.

Does it have tactical battles or just civlike battles on the main map?
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

Endless Legend has fairly simplistic tactical battles. When two armies engage, they split into their composite units, and you maneuver them around the terrain. You have fairly limited control (positioning, targeted unit, and posture primarily), but it does allow you to make use of basic tactics (favorable terrain for example, or targeting a specific sub unit with a unit with an advantageous counter.) Honestly, I rather like it, as it's both quick, but doesn't collapse into the the Stack of Death vs. Stack of Death combat of Civ 4. In a a way, it's as if in Civ 4 when two armies met, they broke the armies up into units and you fought it out in a more Civ 5 style, if that makes any sense.

Honestly, it's kinda a best of both worlds solution, and that I'm going straight back to playing the game after this post is probably the highest recommendation I can give.

Edit: And maybe I'm not explaining it well enough. It's a system unlike any other 4X game I've seen. The tactical fights are much shorter then say Fallen Enchantress, and you basically just give generalized directives to your forces on a limited version of the world map. Again, it both combines some tactics with quick resolution of battles, and I find very elegant. It's kinda one of those you gotta try to understand, and it's unique as far as I'm aware. And good.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

thanks for the quick reply I may check it out next sale. [:)]
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

thanks for the quick reply I may check it out next sale. [:)]

No problem, and check out the even quicker edit...:)
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Cool, I will look into it when its on sale.
fodder

Post by fodder »

bump
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I'm now through Colonization and I consider tackling one of the Civilization games next. I consider CivIV: Complete. Does earlier games in the series have anything of significance IV doesn't have? Any good mods/stuff to reinforce IV: Complete?

How does FreeCiv 2.5 compare with Sid Meier's series?

[edit]
Civilization (based) games I have played so far:
Sid Meier's Civilization (the original from MicroProse)
Colonization
Alpha Centauri
FreeCiv 2.5 (+ some earlier version, less than 100 turns each time)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Here is the first expansion for "Civilization - Beyond Earth" and it is "Rising Tide", a must buy for me [:)], despite all the haters of this game. [8|]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Look for a remake of Civ game online called "CEVO" it has one of the best ai's I ever played against.
Has anyone actually found that game available anywhere? I haven't [:(]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
bayonetbrant

Post by bayonetbrant »

GrogCast episode 2 talk a LOT about the Civ series and the things we do/don't like about the different incarnations

http://grogheads.com/?podcast=the-grogcast-episode-2
=+=+=+=+=
BayonetBrant
Editorial director ~ www.armchairdragoons.com
Host/Producter ~ Mentioned in Dispatches podcast
All around awesome dude & more handsome than I deserve to be with such a sparkling personality

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Look for a remake of Civ game online called "CEVO" it has one of the best ai's I ever played against.

I have it. Did you try googling?
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have it. Did you try googling?
Yeah. I found this

MekWars
Josh

Post by Josh »

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

That's one of the hardest Civ games I've played on a lower level like Prince.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

That's one of the hardest Civ games I've played on a lower level like Prince.
Which of the Civ games?

MekWars
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

If we can include Civ "like" games i have got to go with Master Of Magic, even after 20 years i dont think its been bettered its just incredible, its always been my goto civ type game, even recent additions to the genre feel a little stale in comparison to me.
If your looking for something that strips out all the diplomacy and city building and focuses on map control and war have a look at Dominions 3 or 4 they are phenomenal games also, they aint pretty but the depth is off the scale, truly epic in ever other sense of the word.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have bought, downloaded, and installed Civilization IV: The Complete Edition. Would anyone in here be interested to play cooperative multiplayer by e-mail?

MekWars
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

I have bought, downloaded, and installed Civilization IV: The Complete Edition. Would anyone in here be interested to play cooperative multiplayer by e-mail?
Have you been to http://www.civfanatics.com/ ?
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Here's you another one Matti: http://store.steampowered.com/app/338810/ It's being made as a stand alone in the Roman times. Looks like you can play lots of nations and the resource system is even different than I've seen before in a turn based game like Civ. More like an Age of Empires resource gathering and build system. It's FREE as well. [:)]
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

As far as Firaxis's CIVs go I would go with CIV III just because it makes you goto war over resources you don't have that the AI has and won't trade with you. They took that out in CIV IV and beyond and it made me really sad as it was the best feature in a CIV game I think.
Why do you say that? I played CivIV: Beyond the Sword just last night (one more turn...) for the first time. I couldn't build anything cavalry becouse I hadn't horses, and I couldn't get axemen either becouse I hadn't copper nor iron [:@]

MekWars

Return to “General Discussion”