What classic wargame do you wish would be remade?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Any other games peoples? What about future games? Are you anxious for Creative Assembly's Warhammer?
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Now, how did you get down here. [:D]
JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

ORIGINAL: Orzel Bialy

Personally I think if you grew up playing the Squad Leader board games, you instantly loved SPWAW. From there it took off because of the immersion value of the game...different nations, different time periods, varying size of battles (quick small scenarios to large brain hurting ones...then the campaigns) and the ability to mod OoB's , build scenarios.

Frankly it had it all for a lot of people. [:)]
For me, it wasn't ASL because I could not afford to buy it.

I was passionately in love with the original AH Tobruk, and spent countless hours during high school & college on a redesign of it in greater detail.

To me, SP:WaW is pretty close to what I was trying to acheive with my redesign of Tobruk and that is why I love SP:WaW.
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

SSI's Battles of Napoleon - still an absolute gem and good challenge -

iMagics 'North vs South' - another one lost in teh cracks, its system of play is like the Great Battles series so its perhaps an odd fit to the civil war, but i like it and i think its maps and graphics are nice.

another one and i hope someone else here remembers these the KOEI strategy games

in particular L'Empereur - quite hard this one is too
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

SSI's Battles of Napoleon - still an absolute gem and good challenge -
+1
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Orzel Bialy

Personally I think if you grew up playing the Squad Leader board games, you instantly loved SPWAW. From there it took off because of the immersion value of the game...different nations, different time periods, varying size of battles (quick small scenarios to large brain hurting ones...then the campaigns) and the ability to mod OoB's , build scenarios.

Frankly it had it all for a lot of people. [:)]

Which game would you say is closer to Squad Leader:SPWAW? Close Combat?, Combat Mission? Mark Walker's Stalingrad? or some other rendition?

I've always felt SPWAW came closer to Squad Leader too.
ArmyEsq

Post by ArmyEsq »

STEEL PANTHERS.

And can you imagine if we could play it on a tablet?
Too cool.
ArmyEsq

Post by ArmyEsq »

I think in terms of depth of detail and feel, SPWAW is closest to ASL.

An update would be very appreciated (but not much is needed--keep it the same!)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: ArmyEsq

I think in terms of depth of detail and feel, SPWAW is closest to ASL.

An update would be very appreciated (but not much is needed--keep it the same!)

Just a graphics update, OS update and some AI tweaks. Yeah then keep the rest pretty much the same.
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Yep, it would be great a remake of SPWAW [:D]. If not possible at least a SPWAW II.

Classics deserve everything. [&o]

Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Jafele

Yep, it would be great a remake of SPWAW [:D]. If not possible at least a SPWAW II.

Classics deserve everything. [&o]

Yeah, we've been waiting so long too. Who's your favorite nation to play or fight against? I enjoy the conflicts with the Japanese.
JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

My favorites have been the North Afrika campaign, and the Russian front.
There is a North Afrika mod in case anyone here doesn't know, check my sig for the Enhanced forum, where it is located.
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
operating

Post by operating »

What I really liked : Were the stand alone battle games put out by Sid Meyers like;

Austerlitz, Waterloo, Antediam, Gettysburg

The way those games were programed was unique. Never could understand why he did not do more battles in that vain. Whoever took over that game engine just let it die.

Waterloo was my first pc game ever, bought it at Circuit City, turned out to be my all time favorite. I would still be playing it, but on the newer computers it just CTD every time...
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

There's Norbsoft's Civilwar series now that's kinda like Sid's old games.

Now if we could just get a remake of STEEL PANTHERS! [&o]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I liked Steel Panthers because it has so many nations you can play. Love fighting against the Japanese.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

There's Norbsoft's Civilwar series now that's kinda like Sid's old games.

Now if we could just get a remake of STEEL PANTHERS! [&o]

Did a research article for Norb several years ago a little after he put Mad Minute games behind him and started up Norbsoft, it's still posted there: http://www.norbsoftdev.net/articles-mai ... ifications
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: davidshq

What wargame did you play at some point in the past and really wish would be redone?
Empire Deluxe
Found it!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

The UI counters showing question marks and fading out was in CMx1 aswell.

Personally I find CMx2 a big improvement over CMx1 and it gets better with every release. I play WEGO only. It certainly isn't for kids, it's one tough game to learn and you have to use real word tactics otherwise your wasted. You need to learn how to play the game learn actual tactics. Also don't play on the highest difficulty setting as you have friend;y FOW aswell. I play at Elite. The issue you have with the game is that you don't know how to play it or use tactical concepts o find and pin the enemy. I suggest reading some AAR's. Describing it as an RTS sounds like you've never actually played it.

Anyway..Lets hope Tigers on the Hunt comes good and makes up for the last few mediocre WW2 tactical wargames Matrix has released (COH,LnL). I have high hopes and am pretty confident it's going o be good.
ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

CMx2 became a game for children. RTS and all that. But, it took so much away imho. Oh sure the graphics are nice enough when you can see something actually happening. I thought the old school graphics were fine myself. If they had just worked on the ai which is still quite braindead as the same ole tactics work in the CMx2 as in the first one.

But, at any rate this is a What classic wargame do you wish would be made.
I have a new one: War of the Lance! as well as STEEL PANTHERS. [&o]
Yeah it's really too bad you can't play CMx2 turn-based anymore ... oh wait

Yeah and you see nothing in turn based just like in the RTS side. Just a bunch of square faded grey squares and question marks. This was not a problem in old school.

But enough about games that **(K an forward and onward about STEEL PANTHERS remake? Maybe Age of Rifles too?[&o] Afterall this is a thread about "What wargame would you like to see remade" I'd like to see CMx1 remade in its like where I can see something when I play. Some real action not just red tracers going off.
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

Yawn, I know this is a boring answer by now...but Steel Panthers! I mean, I don't even need it (or want) it changed much, just modernized for true color, large resolution and modernize the UI a bit.
Kind Regards,

Harry
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Computer Ambush by SSI (1980)

Western Front Squad combat with individual soldiers as units.... Each square was only 9ft.

The graphics were really basic a letter G for a German soldier and an A for an American. Each Soldier came with a bio. Windows , Doors, and
interior rooms were all calculated. (I have tried to recreate this map in CM:SF but have fail)..... I love the idea of this game so much that I still have the map and bios booklet 35 years later.

Attachments
ComputerAmbush2.jpg
ComputerAmbush2.jpg (264.25 KiB) Viewed 73 times
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

Return to “General Discussion”