Can you change optional rules of a Fast Start scenario?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

juntoalmar

Can you change optional rules of a Fast Start scenario?

Post by juntoalmar »

Hi,

I have tried to start a Fast Start Global War, but because it is basically a saved game I cannot change the optional rules.

Let's say I want to try an optional rule for first time, is there a way to start a Fast Game Scenario and change the optional rules before the first impulse?

Thanks in advance
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
76mm

RE: Can you change optional rules of a Fast Start scenario?

Post by 76mm »

No.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

Hi,

I have tried to start a Fast Start Global War, but because it is basically a saved game I cannot change the optional rules.

Let's say I want to try an optional rule for first time, is there a way to start a Fast Game Scenario and change the optional rules before the first impulse?

Thanks in advance

Maybe Steve could help with that but I have never really tried to do that, it would be a good benefit if it could be done. Non educated guess, do not think you can add an optional rule or change one in fast start. 76mm's answer was a frustrated with the game "no" [;)] He is usually nicer than that [:(]

Bo
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

There has been a discussion in the past, if this could be done. Problem with this is that it is very difficult to do. Imagine a game using divisions and suddenly, one decides that the divisions are out. How to code this? Or you suddenly decide not to play with offensive chits. How to handle offensive chits already on the board? And on and on and on...

This is very, very difficult to do, according to Steve. Therefore it had been decided not to code this possibility.

Peter
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

This is very, very difficult to do

Yes, to change the optional rules. But to create additional FastStart setups for the different Novice/Standard/Advanced default rulesets should be very, very easy to do. Hint.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: bo
76mm's answer was a frustrated with the game "no" He is usually nicer than that

Heh, didn't mean to mean rude, but sometimes a simple answer is best.

Yeah, I'm a bit frustrated with the game but there are players who seem to be enjoying it very much, so that's great, I'm really glad that this game provides what they are looking for. It's when people start claiming that everyone should like it, or that anyone who doesn't like it is being unreasonable, that have I have to disagree.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

ORIGINAL: Centuur

This is very, very difficult to do

Yes, to change the optional rules. But to create additional FastStart setups for the different Novice/Standard/Advanced default rulesets should be very, very easy to do. Hint.

Well, we could always suggest that a sort of "pool" is made in the forums for fast starts for the various scenarios. Picking up a saved setup isn't that difficult. Than everyone here could make fast starts for the various scenarios they like to play with.
Peter
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

To be honest I think the Quick Start scenario is just for beginners - once one got how to play they can go through a setup no problem!
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Yeah, I'm a bit frustrated with the game but there are players who seem to be enjoying it very much, so that's great, I'm really glad that this game provides what they are looking for. It's when people start claiming that everyone should like it, or that anyone who doesn't like it is being unreasonable, that have I have to disagree.
I agree completely. Only some of the people who don't like it are being unreasonable (not meaning you).
Paul
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

NP, Sometimes a short answer is the best as you will notice all of my short posts.[:(]

I personally did not think you were rude 76 but a little frustrated with things here, I just wanted to mention to juntoalmar that you are not like that "no" you posted.

Bo
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Hi,

Thanks in advance
The Fast Start saved games begin late in the "Starting a New Game" process. At that time all the units have been selected and placed on the map. Since numerous optional rules determine whether entire groups of units are part of the game, turning them On/Off after the Start New Game form has been closed, is very difficult to code.

Look at Saved Setups. They can help you get through the setting up units tasks when starting a new game. There is code when restoring Saved Setups that takes into consideration differences in Optional Rule settings [between the saved setup game and the game been newly started].
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Hi,

Thank you all for your responses:

1) I understand now why something that could seem pretty easy to code, has indeed many implications. It can in fact be impossible in some cases
2) 76mm "No" answer wasn't rude to me at all, just concise.
3) I know that once you know how to play you will start a Global War from scratch. But if you want to try a rule for first time (f.e. Oil Rules or 2D10) you have to spend quite a long setting the game.

Anyway, it's not a big issue. Thanks again!
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
Look at Saved Setups. They can help you get through the setting up units tasks when starting a new game. There is code when restoring Saved Setups that takes into consideration differences in Optional Rule settings [between the saved setup game and the game been newly started].

Hmmm. Could we get more alternative saved setups included with the game? Yes we can just do this ourselves, but frankly I'd like to learn from setups provided by experienced players. I suspect others would also. Thanks.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Hmmm. Could we get more alternative saved setups included with the game? Yes we can just do this ourselves, but frankly I'd like to learn from setups provided by experienced players. I suspect others would also. Thanks.
This thread was started, but didn't get much traction, for that very reason.

tm.asp?m=3778997

I posted a couple and have two more I could add. The thread seemed like an excellent idea to me, but just didn't get going. Maybe it could be revived?
Ronnie
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

I would if I considered myself "an expert". [:(]
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

I would if I considered myself "an expert". [:(]
All an expert is is someone who's tried and failed several times AND is willing to learn from their failures. This includes weighing advice from both those that know more and less than oneself.
Ronnie
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I don't consider myself to be an expert also. Different people have different approaches to this game. However, I've put a start of global war in there.
Peter
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958
All an expert is is someone who's tried and failed several times AND is willing to learn from their failures. This includes weighing advice from both those that know more and less than oneself.

I agree with that, but I would add "and he's good at what he's doing". I tried several times and willing to learn, but haven't got there yet to think I'm playing reasonable well... [:D]

Return to “World in Flames”