My Mod is now suddenly showing 2 leaders?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

rjord2021

My Mod is now suddenly showing 2 leaders?

Post by rjord2021 »

Hi

I have been working on a galaxy map for the last 2 weeks for my Star Trek mod and I am seeing an issue where at the very beginning of playing the saved file I have 2 leaders.

In the character.txt file I have only one entry .....and that is showing on the screen.

But for some reason a 2nd leader is being created by the random character generator.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

I have put the mod on hold because I don't want to keep working on the save file if the file is corrupted and not fixable.

Contents of the federation.txt file in the character folder

'Distant Worlds - Characters - DW:Universe Version 1.9.5.7 - Star Trek The Picard Era Mod - FEDERATION

'Each character line below is comprised of comma-separated data as follows:
' - Appearance order: order that this character appears in the game relative to other characters. A value of zero (0) means that the character is present at the start of the game
' - Name: name of the character
' - Role: the type of character, selected from one of the following values: 1=Faction Leader, 2=Ambassador, 3=Colony Governor, 4=Fleet Admiral, 5=Troop General, 6=Intelligence Agent, 7=Scientist, 8=Pirate Leader, 9=Ship Captain
' - Picture filename: optional name of image file used to represent this character. Only PNG image files are supported. The filename should include the file type suffix (.png). The image file itself should be placed in the images\units\characters folder (or customization\THEMENAME\characterImages folder). If no image is specified then the appropriate race image will be used
' - Race override: optional name of the race for this character, if different from the default race for the file. Name must match a race name found in the races folder

'The following skills should be set between -100 and +100. Note that the character's role will determine which skills actually apply (e.g. only a Fleet Admiral can benefit from Ship Maneuvering skill)
' 0=None, 1=Diplomacy, 2=ColonyIncome, 3=TradeIncome, 4=TourismIncome, 5=ColonyCorruption, 6=ColonyHappiness, 7=PopulationGrowth,
' 8=MiningRate, 9=TroopRecruitment, 10=MilitaryShipConstructionSpeed, 11=CivilianShipConstructionSpeed, 12=ColonyShipConstructionSpeed,
' 13=FacilityConstructionSpeed, 14=ResearchWeapons, 15=ResearchEnergy, 16=ResearchHighTech, 17=Espionage, 18=CounterEspionage,
' 19=Sabotage, 20=Concealment, 21=PsyOps, 22=Assassination, 23=MilitaryShipMaintenance, 24=MilitaryBaseMaintenance, 25=CivilianShipMaintenance,
' 26=CivilianBaseMaintenance, 27=TroopMaintenance, 28=WarWeariness, 29=Targeting, 30=Countermeasures, 31=ShipManeuvering, 32=Fighters,
' 33=ShipEnergyUsage, 34=WeaponsDamage, 35=WeaponsRange, 36=ShieldRechargeRate, 37=DamageControl, 38=RepairBonus, 39=HyperjumpSpeed,
' 40=TroopGroundAttack, 41=TroopGroundDefense, 42=TroopExperienceGain, 43=TroopRecoveryRate, 44=TroopStrengthArmor, 45=TroopStrengthInfantry,
' 46=TroopStrengthSpecialForces, 47=TroopStrengthPlanetaryDefense, 48=SmugglingIncome, 49=SmugglingEvasion, 50=BoardingAssault
' - Skill Type 1: 0=None, 1 to 50=specific skill type (see values above and Modding Guide), ?=select random skill appropriate for role
' - Skill Level 1: -100 to +100, ?=select random skill level between 0 and 20
' - Skill Type 2: 0=None, 1 to 50=specific skill type (see values above and Modding Guide), ?=select random skill appropriate for role
' - Skill Level 2: -100 to +100, ?=select random skill level between 0 and 20
' - Skill Type 3: 0=None, 1 to 50=specific skill type (see values above and Modding Guide), ?=select random skill appropriate for role
' - Skill Level 3: -100 to +100, ?=select random skill level between 0 and 20
' - Skill Type 4: 0=None, 1 to 50=specific skill type (see values above and Modding Guide), ?=select random skill appropriate for role
' - Skill Level 4: -100 to +100, ?=select random skill level between 0 and 20

'The following traits can be set for each character. Note that the character's role will determine which traits actually apply
' - Trait Type 1,2,3: 0=None, 1 to 95=specific trait type (see values below and Modding Guide), ?=select random trait appropriate for role. NOTE: must not specify opposing positive and negative traits, e.g. Paranoid and Trusting
' 0=None, 1=Paranoid, 2=Trusting, 3=PeaceThroughStrength, 4=Pacifist, 5=Expansionist, 6=Isolationist, 7=Diplomat, 8=Obnoxious, 9=Famous,
' 10=Disliked, 11=GoodAdministrator, 12=PoorAdministrator, 13=BeanCounter, 14=Generous, 15=Engineer, 16=Luddite, 17=FreeTrader, 18=Protectionist,
' 19=Environmentalist, 20=Industrialist, 21=InspiringPresence, 22=Demoralizing, 23=Organized, 24=Disorganized, 25=HealthOriented, 26=LaborOriented,
' 27=Spiritual, 28=Logical, 29=GoodStrategist, 30=PoorStrategist, 31=Uninhibited, 32=Measured, 33=Addict, 34=Sober, 35=Courageous, 36=Weak,
' 37=Tolerant, 38=Xenophobic, 39=EloquentSpeaker, 40=PoorSpeaker, 41=Corrupt, 42=Lawful, 43=Lazy, 44=Energetic, 45=Linguist, 46=TongueTied,
' 47=Technical, 48=NonTechnical, 49=GoodTactician, 50=PoorTactician, 51=StrongSpaceAttacker, 52=PoorSpaceAttacker, 53=StrongSpaceDefender,
' 54=PoorSpaceDefender, 55=Drunk, 56=ToughDiscpline, 57=LaxDiscipline, 58=LocalDefenseTactics, 59=PlanetarySupport, 60=GoodSpaceLogistician,
' 61=PoorSpaceLogistician, 62=NaturalSpaceLeader, 63=SkilledNavigator, 64=PoorNavigator, 65=StrongGroundAttacker, 66=PoorGroundAttacker,
' 67=StrongGroundDefender, 68=PoorGroundDefender, 69=GoodGroundLogistician, 70=PoorGroundLogistician, 71=NaturalGroundLeader, 72=GoodRecruiter,
' 73=PoorRecruiter, 74=CarefulAttacker, 75=RecklessAttacker, 76=DoubleAgent, 77=Creative, 78=Methodical, 79=ForeignSpy, 80=Patriot, 81=UltraGenius,
' 82=Uninhibited (Intelligence Agent), 83=Measured (Intelligence Agent), 84=Addict (Intelligence Agent), 85=Sober (Intelligence Agent),
' 86=Courageous (Intelligence Agent), 87=Weak (Intelligence Agent), 88=Tolerant (Intelligence Agent), 89=Xenophobic (Intelligence Agent),
' 90=EloquentSpeaker (Intelligence Agent), 91=PoorSpeaker (Intelligence Agent), 92=Corrupt (Intelligence Agent), 93=Lawful (Intelligence Agent),
' 94=Smuggler, 95=BountyHunter

' Number of Characters = (114) / 101

' Leaders

0, Madza Bral, 1, President Madza Bral_2233.png, Federation, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

and below is the screenshot of what I see in the game

Attachments
2leaders.jpg
2leaders.jpg (216.16 KiB) Viewed 166 times
rjord2021

RE: My Mod is now suddenly showing 2 leaders?

Post by rjord2021 »

The issue has been because when I have been creating the map, instead of loading the dwg file which pauses the game when loaded, I instead went through the select race menu system which does not pause the game when starting.

By the time I pressed the pause button after a few seconds probably a few months of the game had progressed before the game paused.

so after 2 weeks of updating the map and saving the file, what happened was that there was a change in leader.....and when that happens i cannot go into the editor and dismiss the unwanted leader as i get a message telling me i cannot dismiss the leader as there was just a change of leader.

I can go to a backup prior to when there was a leadership change but I will lose at least a week of work I have done on the map.

Any solution would be great.

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Another little set back for my mod.....

When you save the game and reopen it, does the save game look at the modified files in your theme folder as they are today or do they save the files from the time you first created that save file....ie 2 weeks ago prior to any modifications.

To me it looks like the character files etc are being saved in the save file and updates added to the theme folder are not being looked at.

If this is the case this means the galaxy map should be created last, not first.

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I just tested with another mod...made sure everything was fine and there was one leader. Saved the file as "removed a few stars from map"

Exited Distant Worlds...went back in and loaded the game I had saved and everything looked good.

I then changed the name of the leader that was first appearing in the character folder.....when I loaded my save game the name had not changed.

The only way the name of the leader changed was to create a new game and not link to the saved file.

So I guess the map I have created in last 2 weeks is not going to be much use as the saved file with the galaxy map I created is not looking at changes I make to character files etc after I finish the map ....... and i cannot see any way of using the galaxy map from the saved files and pointing to the updated text files in my theme folder.

If there is a way can someone let me know.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: rjord1

I just tested with another mod...made sure everything was fine and there was one leader. Saved the file as "removed a few stars from map"

Exited Distant Worlds...went back in and loaded the game I had saved and everything looked good.

I then changed the name of the leader that was first appearing in the character folder.....when I loaded my save game the name had not changed.

The only way the name of the leader changed was to create a new game and not link to the saved file.

So I guess the map I have created in last 2 weeks is not going to be much use as the saved file with the galaxy map I created is not looking at changes I make to character files etc after I finish the map ....... and i cannot see any way of using the galaxy map from the saved files and pointing to the updated text files in my theme folder.

If there is a way can someone let me know.
Hello rjord1;
I am the co-creator, author and manager of the Star Trek The Picard Era Mods 1.0, 2.0 and soon to be 2.5 versions. I am also a member of Elliots' Beta Test Team.

First of all, from what I saw in your above posts, it seems that you have attempted to integrate, or model from, some of our mods' base character files.
(i.e. Contents of the federation.txt file in the character folder
'Distant Worlds - Characters - DW:Universe Version 1.9.5.7 - Star Trek The Picard Era Mod - FEDERATION)

If you have began your scenario map from scratch, then the problem is solved by making all of your game files final first, then begin creating your map. Once began though, you MUST complete the entire map without engaging the game until the map is completed and saved. New data file changes, game file updates, etcetera, will not apply to the scenario map.

If you loaded and began making additions to, or subtractions from an already created scenario map, then
you are not only going to have duplicate characters, but possibly crashes as well. That is why I locked
our scenario map after creation since making changes and additions/subtractions to it would cause problems.

One other thing that may be causing you problems also. In your character file example, it shows (at least I assume) that your character file was from a version (1.9.5.7) that might not have been updated(i.e the race character files were reformatted in update 1.9.5.10 and affected via the executable file in update 1.9.5.11). If so, then there is another basis for problems. Especially since the last 2 mentioned updates affected the logic concerning the character files and their contents via the game editor. Also remember, that the logic concerning the character files have new properties since the 1.9.5.7 update (the ability to use the "-" symbol for character appearance as an example).

Although my team is currently working on our own Star Trek The Kirk Era mod to be released soon, I
like your attention to canon and detail in what you are doing. Don't get discouraged! Just remember
that if you create a scenario map, be prepared to be with it until full completion. Updates or new
file changes will throw a kink into things, as you have discovered. Good luck!
[:)]

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Thanks for that..... a quick question....how do I lock the map without engaging the game....to do the entire map will take 4 weeks and I was half way through.

I assume I lock the map by loading the map and in this way the game is paused when I go in to the game and I go straight into the editor, make my changes and then save the game...hence no engaging the game... am I correct by assuming this?

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I am also too happy to start from scratch...... I assumed the way to mod was to use an existing mod and modify......hence DW:Universe Version 1.9.5.7

Will look at how I create the mod from scratch... I assume I just create an empty folder and copy files across from base game and mod those.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: rjord1

Thanks for that..... a quick question....how do I lock the map without engaging the game....to do the entire map will take 4 weeks and I was half way through.

I assume I lock the map by loading the map and in this way the game is paused when I go in to the game and I go straight into the editor, make my changes and then save the game...hence no engaging the game... am I correct by assuming this?

You lock by creating a password upon exiting the map. Just remember though that once exited, any
game file changes will not apply. Also, don't forget the password. There is no remedy if you forget
what is is.
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

oh..ok...thanks for that.......thanks for your help.

Looking forward to seeing your Star Trek The Kirk Era mod........
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Now working...much better. :)

Attachments
working.jpg
working.jpg (136.7 KiB) Viewed 166 times

Return to “Design and Modding”