Victory Points

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Devonport

Victory Points

Post by Devonport »

Is there a straightforward way to see what goes into making up the VPs?

In particular I have -1 for U.Boats (Sept 43) for the turn but can't find an undamaged U-Boat factory laboriously searching through the city list. Is there a simpler way?

Also, how do I find out which hex's have city points attached to them, either ones I have or ones I should target?

Thanks.
marion61

RE: Victory Points

Post by marion61 »

25.1. Campaign Scenario Victory Conditions-this is the rule that cover's the calculation for SBP's and city victory points. There's also city control points, which you get every turn for the towns, urban, and capitols you own as the allies.

As for seeing which hexes actually have points attached to them, I'm not sure there's a page for that. If there is it's in the CR under locations.
Devonport

Post by Devonport »

Thanks meklore61, I found the U-Boat factories under locations in the CR (only trouble is it confirms all have some damage, so not sure why I have a negative point each turn). Still doesn't seem to have a filter for areas that generate city points.
Beruldsen

Post by Beruldsen »

Even more bothersome are the "Other Losses" ... I have no idea how they are being incurred and what to do about it.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

Most of your other losses will come from shipping troops by sea. In the next patch I believe there will be a message that say when a transport is hit and how many men you lost and how many were returned to the pool.

As far as city points you really need not worry about all the little towns so much. Go for urban and capitols, and industry in Germany when you get there. You can get some huge points when you get into Germany cause all the vp industry you capture counts for bombing. So really most of your city objective will be urban or capitols, and look for huge rail yards to take and rail choke points.
Kronolog

Post by Kronolog »

The reports on factory damage are subject to fog of war, so they might not be so damaged as you might think. "Other losses" are manpower losses suffered by all nations except the USA.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I forgot to add, that if your only getting -1 point a turn you'll waste bombers trying to stamp it out. Once you suppress the uboats, start hitting vp target industry for a few turns and when the uboats go back to -4 (cause in another 4 turns you should be getting 10 points just from bombing), hit them again to suppress them. You only have to scratch the uboat factories to suppress them for the points so don't waste bombers and bombing points trying to put them all at 100% damage.

Did you hit Danzig? There's 19 uboat factories there. It's way across the map and may not have been obvious.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”