Mortars Not Firing: "Can't See Target"

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
WHATEVERDUDELEMMEINALREADY

Mortars Not Firing: "Can't See Target"

Post by WHATEVERDUDELEMMEINALREADY »

WTF??? Just had this happen to me. Two mortar teams just refused to fire anymore -- despite well over twenty rounds of ammo left each -- 'cause they couldn't see the target...even though they'd fired just fine a minute or so before!!!

Also, why do mortars, including those on vehicles, constantly decide to stop firing, determining on their own "fire mission complete"?????

For that matter, why don't vehicle-mounted machine guns fire like half the time??? I can't believe that half-tracks were this useless in real life...why the hell did anyone ever bother with them, then, if a little gunfire so totally suppresses their machine gunners????????

A lot of behavior in this CC is so very, very different from the classic Atomic/Microsoft titles....
CGGrognard

RE: Mortars Not Firing: "Can't See Target"

Post by CGGrognard »

Mortar teams, and those on vehicles will fire a "spotting round" (fire for effect) then fire a number of rounds (as I recall the number of rounds depend on the type of mortar) at the target. This feature allows for you to control the mortar teams' rate of fire so as not to expend all their ammunition.
In previous versions of CC, when a mortar team was ordered to fire, they would fire until all their mortar ammunition was expended, or until the player put the team on "defend" or "ambush".
Mortar carriers are subject to infantry ambush, therefore should be kept behind the lines of combat. The mortar carrier crews aren't well adapted at using their secondary weapon (i.e. machine gun) that well. You should notice most "crews" (AT guns, tanks, mortar carriers) don't use their secondary weapons that often.
Hopefully this gives you a better insight in the mortars' role in the game.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

A mortar team shouldn't complain about not being able to see a target until they are out of HE ammo (for a FIRE order) or SM ammo (for a smoke order.) Once the mortar has no valid ammunition the gunner switches to his rifle or pistol. in GtC the 2 inch mortar will do this frequently, as they have only ~10 rounds of each type of ammo, as I recall.

Some vehicle MGs require a crew member to 'go exposed' to man/fire it. Halftracks are almost always like this. If incoming fire is heavy, the gunner may be suppressed or pinned and won't expose themselves to fire the MG. Check the soldier monitor and it should show this.

Steve

pelthunter

Post by pelthunter »

Actually "fire for effect" is after the spotting round is close enough for the target.
I made exceptional effort to understand why one would try to deny existing fact and disclaim well documented history. I failed.
vobbnobb

Post by vobbnobb »

I was the same way enraged.. cc stuff will take a lot of time to get used to, but once you do you will love it.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”