OT - who are all of these 'guests?'

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

obvert

OT - who are all of these 'guests?'

Post by obvert »

Thinking about the recent WITP2 thread, I stumbled on the main forum page while looking at how dead the WITW forum is now, already ([X(]), and have a question.

Who are the 'guests' shown in the massive numbers at the bottom of the forum here? Are there really so many players not registered in the forum but using it regularly?

Why not sign up and take part? [&:]

Also, does anyone know how many copies of WITP, or WITP AE have been sold? Is there an available end of year report somewhere? I'm just curious.

Attachments
guests.jpg
guests.jpg (290.59 KiB) Viewed 155 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
JocMeister

RE: OT - who are all of these 'guests?'

Post by JocMeister »

Yepp, sadly WitW fell over and died like a cow struck by lightning. Sorry I made you buy it. [:(]

I remember reading somewhere that Matrix never releases the sales numbers for any game? Not sure why though...

Regarding the number of guests that is probably quiet common on most gaming forums. Many people just read but never post. No need for an account for that. [:)]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The forum may quietly logout people who have the forum open in their browsers, but not active for x amount of time and then auto log them back in when they post. Just guessing though. I don't know exactly how the forum software works.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Yepp, sadly WitW fell over and died like a cow struck by lightning. Sorry I made you buy it. [:(]

I remember reading somewhere that Matrix never releases the sales numbers for any game? Not sure why though...

Regarding the number of guests that is probably quiet common on most gaming forums. Many people just read but never post. No need for an account for that. [:)]

I'm fine with the WITW purchase. I'll call it rent for all of the forum server space I'm taking up with my AAR posts! [;)]

You'd think they'd want to publicize that quite a few are still buying this game.

It would make for a more interesting forum if those guests took the leap. I remember when I did, after about two weeks of lurking in guest mode. It was great to finally be able to ask a question, and only then did I realize how many I had to ask!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The forum may quietly logout people who have the forum open in their browsers, but not active for x amount of time and then auto log them back in when they post. Just guessing though. I don't know exactly how the forum software works.

Bill

It seems not to. I've had my window open for hours and still was logged in, though I hadn't done anything in that time.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

It may also be counting bots cruising the forum as guests too. Though I do think that you are right and there are a fair number of people just visiting as guests. I've managed a few forums over the years that were private and could only be seen by subscribed members. The ratio of people subscribed to the number of people participating was usually greater than 10:1. And I have been among the unregistered lurkers on some other forums over the years. It's usually just something I'm casually interested in and don't feel a burning need to say anything, so I just read and lurk for a while and move on to something else.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Bill

It seems not to. I've had my window open for hours and still was logged in, though I hadn't done anything in that time.

I typically keep it open all day at work and have never found myself logged out.
Hans

DD696

Post by DD696 »

One of those "guests" is myself. I rarely bother to log in but have Matrix set as one of my home pages, so I am always "here" whenever I have the computer on.
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I'm guessing in a lot are people reading on the their phones/tablets. I read the forum on my iPhone before I get out of bed in the morning. Although I'm registered and have Bullwinkle cookies enabled in my PC browser I do not on my phone. On my phone I'm a Guest.

For those who do AARs it is important to remember that anyone can read the forum on a phone and be invisible. Even more important to choose an opponent you can trust.
The Moose
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I'm guessing in a lot are people reading on the their phones/tablets. I read the forum on my iPhone before I get out of bed in the morning. Although I'm registered and have Bullwinkle cookies enabled in my PC browser I do not on my phone. On my phone I'm a Guest.

For those who do AARs it is important to remember that anyone can read the forum on a phone and be invisible. Even more important to choose an opponent you can trust.

Good point. I'd forgotten people read on their phones these days. I had assumed they'd do that logged in but I guess not all. I'm logged in on mine but only usually check when something big is going on. I hate reading on that thing.

What shocked me was the relative number of guests to logged-in users. Only 61 forum members and 12,976 guests. That's a hel of a lot more people than I thought would even be on these forums. It's kind of great, but just makes me want to know how many are in the AE forum and playing the game. Thus my question about sales numbers.
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

I only login if replying/posting, a small % of my time on the forum. More to learn than pontificate or pass on...even after nearly five years of play.
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Bill

The damned thing logs me off after about 30 minutes!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

To get an idea on how many units are sold or at least looked at to buy: I keep an eye on:
Buy Commander: The Great War Now!
Redirect Count: 4040

as an example, near the top of each Matrix forum
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: kbfchicago

I only login if replying/posting, a small % of my time on the forum. More to learn than pontificate or pass on...even after nearly five years of play.

Some of your posts are very informed and useful nonetheless. Plus, cool signature. Not enough merchant marine FBs. [:)]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Good point. I'd forgotten people read on their phones these days. I had assumed they'd do that logged in but I guess not all. I'm logged in on mine but only usually check when something big is going on. I hate reading on that thing.

What shocked me was the relative number of guests to logged-in users. Only 61 forum members and 12,976 guests. That's a hel of a lot more people than I thought would even be on these forums. It's kind of great, but just makes me want to know how many are in the AE forum and playing the game. Thus my question about sales numbers.

13,000 guests is a huge number, yes. I think some of them are bots, as was suggested. But more than that, when you look in a lot of Matrix forums, the regulars there often mention AE, often with awe that anyone could play it, let alone be good at it. I think a lot might be Matrix customers or even boardgamers who don't own AE, but like to look through the knothole in the outfield fence.
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Pikers! [:D] Hey Lurkers! Come on in and join the dark side! We have cookies! [:D]
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

13,000 guests is a huge number, yes. I think some of them are bots, as was suggested. But more than that, when you look in a lot of Matrix forums, the regulars there often mention AE, often with awe that anyone could play it, let alone be good at it.

Do we have to be 'good at it' to generate awe? [8D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Pikers! [:D] Hey Lurkers! Come on in and join the dark side! We have cookies! [:D]
They are aliens. Don't irritate them.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: kbfchicago

Some of your posts are very informed and useful nonetheless. Plus, cool signature. Not enough merchant marine FBs. [:)]

I had ten years in the Seafarer's International Union..Does that count as a FB? [;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

13,000 guests is a huge number, yes. I think some of them are bots, as was suggested. But more than that, when you look in a lot of Matrix forums, the regulars there often mention AE, often with awe that anyone could play it, let alone be good at it.

Do we have to be 'good at it' to generate awe? [8D]

Do people watch NASCAR for the race or the crashes? [:'(]
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”