Airbase and air-supply house rule discussion

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

mktours

Airbase and air-supply house rule discussion

Post by mktours »

I want to play the GHC and I am thinking about using these house rules against airbase and air-supply:
1)airbase could only move at the end of the turn, after all air missions have been done.
2)airbase could not enter newly-conquered & converted hexes in the current turn. It could only enter those hexes which are already under friendly controlled at the start of one’s turn.
3)after a unit receives air-supply, it must stop moving that turn.
I think that by adopting these rules, which are more reflecting the reality, the advance of GHC would be significantly slow down, so SHC should make some compromise as well, maybe setting the transport level at 75%?
I want to play 1:1=2:1 and old blizzard, is transport level setting at 75% a fair trade in that case? I think that with these airbase and air-supply house rules and 1:1=2:1, the GHC must be careful to advance.
Any suggestions are very welcome.
Numdydar

RE: Airbase and air-supply house rule discussion

Post by Numdydar »

Just so you know, the 'mild' blizzard setting is much more historical than not using it.

If I were you I would just put the AI on Challenging as that setting seems to help the Russians quite a bit. At least in my play [:)]

If you do that you really don't need to use the suggestions you have in the OP.
mktours

Post by mktours »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Just so you know, the 'mild' blizzard setting is much more historical than not using it.

If I were you I would just put the AI on Challenging as that setting seems to help the Russians quite a bit. At least in my play [:)]

If you do that you really don't need to use the suggestions you have in the OP.
Thanks for the reply.
I am a capable player, and having played against some good players and win all the games, so AI is not challenge to me.
I prefer the old blizzard as I think it is more like history, however, the soviet side must make other compromise, otherwise the game is too in favor of the soviet side.
I am now thinking that with 1:1=2:1 and old blizzard, and with those above airbase & air-supply house rules, the transport level must be set at 50% ( for both sides), that would be a fair game, 75% would be still too high.
The transport capacity in the current game is obvious too high comparing with historic reality.
For a week/turn, it is reasonable to downsize the transport capacity significantly, just like the airbase advance is extremely unlikely.The new airbase need 1-2 weeks to be established before it can function properly, also it need supply and material to be stocked before it could function.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

The +1 rule really owerpower the soviet side in 1941.
And the old blizzard rules still kills the german. Personally I agree with the mild wizard, and no +1 rule, if the german can't rush on early (2-8) turns.
mktours

Post by mktours »

ORIGINAL: Callistrid

The +1 rule really owerpower the soviet side in 1941.
And the old blizzard rules still kills the german. Personally I agree with the mild wizard, and no +1 rule, if the german can't rush on early (2-8) turns.
Thanks for the reply.
From my experience of my game against Saper222, I believe that without 1:1=2:1, I could not enjoy the fun of fighting forward. Saper got about 1 million POW alone in his T1 pockets (extend-lvov opening), so Soviet are under troops shortage from start. I think I would have to trade land for time then, that is not historical at all. In history, Soviet troops make a stand everywhere in 1941, and Germany advance is slow.
Without 1:1=2:1 means Germany side could do whatever it like without any significant contest from the soviet side. Also, defending Leningrad would become a big problem, as the most effective way to defend the city is to make counter-attacks, as what Zhukov did in history. The distance is short, Soviet have no space to trade for time for defending Leningrad.
As to the old blizzard, I want to play because I haven't defend it yet, it is true that it is a monster, but fighting monster is fun.
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

Extended Lvov is killer. I have a HR that is prohibiting Axis player to do it. Though normal Lvov opening is ok for me.
mktours

Post by mktours »

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

Extended Lvov is killer. I have a HR that is prohibiting Axis player to do it. Though normal Lvov opening is ok for me.
But I have defended it and win in 1943. I think Soviet should be able to rally from this scale of loss, since it is still far less than historical loss. I myself won't against that opening and will do it myself, otherwise it would not worthwhile to borrow 2 Pz corps from AGC.
Thanks for your reply.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

When I played against Sapper, he survived several pockets, because the +1 attack gives the soviet side huge bonus.
Sapper is one of the most tough player, with who I ever meet, and only his experience, and knowledge gives any change to survive my offense.
Against non highly experienced player, his southern front (PZ Army 1, and 11th Army) would be eliminated around T08-10, losing 200-300 k men, what could be bigger then Stalingrad was.

So I understand the madness of german panzer rush, but let's take care on soviet side. Dealing with the german exploit posities doesn't mean, the soviet must be overpowered.

I believe the point is to slow the transport and supply capacity for both sides.
mktours

Post by mktours »

When I played against Sapper, he survived several pockets, because the +1 attack gives the soviet side huge bonus.
Sapper is one of the most tough player, with who I ever meet, and only his experience, and knowledge gives any change to survive my offense.
Against non highly experienced player, his southern front (PZ Army 1, and 11th Army) would be eliminated around T08-10, losing 200-300 k men, what could be bigger then Stalingrad was.

So I understand the madness of german panzer rush, but let's take care on soviet side. Dealing with the german exploit posities doesn't mean, the soviet must be overpowered.

I believe the point is to slow the transport and supply capacity for both sides.
I read your AAR, and I believe Saper made big careless mistakes in the game, otherwise he would not set himself into the pockets, which you formed. After that you are a bit underestimating his ability, otherwise you might not lose the game in 1941.
Playing against Saper offered wonderful game experience and I think I learn many lessons from him, he is a worthwhile opponent.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Was more then half year of quiet before I did my last turn. And those time, I forgot his supreme panzer concentration on south.
My huge fault.
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

ORIGINAL: mktours

But I have defended it and win in 1943. I think Soviet should be able to rally from this scale of loss, since it is still far less than historical loss. I myself won't against that opening and will do it myself, otherwise it would not worthwhile to borrow 2 Pz corps from AGC.
Thanks for your reply.

No one force you to borrow 2 Pz Korps from AGC. When playing Axis I never do it and still can do the normal Lvov.
mktours

Post by mktours »

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

ORIGINAL: mktours

Thanks for your reply.

No one force you to borrow 2 Pz Korps from AGC. When playing Axis I never do it and still can do the normal Lvov.
I think that normal lvov opening is simply not powerful enough against a very good soviet player, just personal opnion.
mktours

Post by mktours »

Was more then half year of quiet before I did my last turn. And those time, I forgot his supreme panzer concentration on south.
My huge fault.
In wite, we are all possible to make huge careless mistakes, I made many in my games too, :)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”