British 81mm ranges

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Pawsy

British 81mm ranges

Post by Pawsy »

Hi

I noticed that the 432 mounted 81mm mortar has a range of 5,650m which is correct but that the, I assume, 81mm mortar carried in the Inf Coy's only has a range of 1200m? (scenario HM_BS Hells Crossroads).

There was only two types of mortar in the British army, 81mm and 51mm. The 51mm mortar was grouped in the HQ Pl of companies and a range of 750m. From experience coy never had a Pl of mortars. The 81mm Mortar Platoon deployed 8 x 81mm Mortars mounted in FV432, 3 MFCs in CVR(T) and Platoon Commander and Platoon warrant officer also in CVR(T). The mortar line generally worked as 2 half platoon units each of 4 tubes as shown in the game correctly within the Support Coy.

The mortar platoons shown at company level should be removed.

This annoying as I need to drop smoke on my TI Chieftains so they can resupply and fire with impunity under smoke cover from the IR equipped (blind) Soviet forces [:D]

thanks
Shadow Empire beta tester
valor and victory beta tester
DW2 DLC beta tester
CapnDarwin

RE: British 81mm ranges

Post by CapnDarwin »

Thanks for the post. I'll take a look and see what is up. I know we had to make an adjustment for mortars in infantry units and that work-around may be the cause of the range issue (this was done a number of updates ago).
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Pawsy

RE: British 81mm ranges

Post by Pawsy »

I noticed the mouse over calls them 2 inch morta,r that was the WW2 version. The 51mm only had a range out to 750m I just thought the range was strange to show 2600m? In reality it was difficult to see and hit anything over a few hundred metres .

Small beer, enjoying playing the game. Think the orders delay system is ideal. Feels quite realistic.
Shadow Empire beta tester
valor and victory beta tester
DW2 DLC beta tester

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”