Mistral 1 MANPAD never fires

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

armonica

Mistral 1 MANPAD never fires

Post by armonica »

In the ''First Contact 2016'' scenario the 4 P960 Skjold of the Norwegian Navy get sunk by the Russian
SS-N-9 Siren (or SS-N-26 Sapless)anti ship missiles extremely easy.
They don't seem to have any defense against the SS-N-9 except a 2 rnds burst from the 76mm/62 Super Rapido HE
and some DUAL TRAP chaff/flare, and that almost never stop a 2 SS-N-9 salvo.
Shouldn't their Mistral 1 manpads work against those Russian anti ship missiles?
Luidzi

RE: Mistral 1 MANPAD never fires

Post by Luidzi »

There are two versions of Mistral missile. One shoulder-launched and one used in automated weapon mounts (Simbad, Tetral, Sadral). The hand-held variant has 20% less PK and can't target missiles. Skjold ships are equipped with this one.

Question: is it possible IRL to use MANPADS as a last-ditch antimissile defense? I've never heard of it.

Hypothetically they could do it, and it would be implemented. Their performance would be pretty bad anyway. MANPADS start with low basic PK, incapability against seaskimmers counts as -27% (give or take), speed penalty (for example Stinger is designed for up to 700kts) would also be high, result is just a few percent hit chance total.
Basically just a thing to entertain your sailors until their death.

EDIT: SAM-2 Kin-SAM is in the database as MANPADS capable of targeting missiles. Actual combat performance? As expected:

SS-N-9 Siren: Sea-skimmer -11,27%. Speed -24%. Signature 0%. Final PH: 20%
MM.38 Exocet Blk I: Sea-skimmer -30,48%. Speed -17%. Signature -0%. Final PH: 7%.
RGM-84L Harpoon II: Sea-skimmer -30,48%. Speed -9%. Signature -1%. Pop-up terminal manouver - PH reduced by 25%. Final PH: 11%.
armonica

Post by armonica »

Thank you Luidzi, so those Skjold are really in bad shape vs the Russian corvettes and Nanuchkas,
I wonder if there is any way for Norway to win this scenario.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Here's a "winning" AAR from the Norwegian side: http://www.rjlee.org/blog/2014/07/19/nice-ice-navy/
armonica

Post by armonica »

Thank you Sunburn, that's a beautiful presentation, very nicely done!
Gneckes

Post by Gneckes »

I have, in the "Battle of Latakia" scenario, taken down SS-N-2 Styx missiles with the 40mm Bofors. Granted, I got some really lucky dice rolls.

Return to “The War Room”