WITPAE is trying to kill my laptop (high temperature issue)

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

quertice

WITPAE is trying to kill my laptop (high temperature issue)

Post by quertice »

as I get started witp ae, temperature of cpu gradually increases until over 80 °C (176 °F), while fan becomes really much noising

it's so:

also 185 °F I saw, there usually I shut down cause fear to break all things

but as I click outside of witp window, temperature suddently decreases to normal numbers, even if witp window is just there aside!:

it's not a problem of dust inside laptop, neither of pc requirements, it's a core 2 duo T9300 cpu, amd HD3470 radeon as vga, 4 gb ram, windows 7 64 bit, enough to run witp...

I think cause is in framerate, like pc is running witp too rapidly, too high frame rate.
I tried enabling "wait for vertical refresh" into catalyst driver, but no changes, it may be cause that option is just for 3d application, so useless for witp.

I rember to have the same problem with old 2d videogame, like old fallout 1 of 1997, so surely it's not a problem caused by low pc performances

what can I do to play witp without kill my laptop? it's so strange this overheating [:(]
thanks in advance
Rafid

RE: WITPAE is trying to kill my laptop (high temperature issue)

Post by Rafid »

I also observed high CPU load levels with WITPAE. As you correctly guessed Catalyst is just for 3D Applications and will not affect it. In addition I am not sure if it is actually the graphics refresh rate or something under the hood in the engine.

Some programs (especially older ones as you experienced yourself) will basically use (almost) all the available CPU power. You could try to lower the available core frequency and that would lower the burned power and hence temperature. You can use the Energy options for that, by setting the laptop to a power saving plan manually. You might need to check in the advanced settings of the power plans if the power saving plan affects the CPU. I am sorry if some of these names are not exactly what Windows calls them, I’m translating the descriptions from a German Windows myself.
MrKane

Post by MrKane »

ORIGINAL: qwetry

as I get started witp ae, temperature of cpu gradually increases until over 80 °C (176 °F), while fan becomes really much noising

it's so:

also 185 °F I saw, there usually I shut down cause fear to break all things

but as I click outside of witp window, temperature suddently decreases to normal numbers, even if witp window is just there aside!:

it's not a problem of dust inside laptop, neither of pc requirements, it's a core 2 duo T9300 cpu, amd HD3470 radeon as vga, 4 gb ram, windows 7 64 bit, enough to run witp...

I think cause is in framerate, like pc is running witp too rapidly, too high frame rate.
I tried enabling "wait for vertical refresh" into catalyst driver, but no changes, it may be cause that option is just for 3d application, so useless for witp.

I rember to have the same problem with old 2d videogame, like old fallout 1 of 1997, so surely it's not a problem caused by low pc performances

what can I do to play witp without kill my laptop? it's so strange this overheating [:(]
thanks in advance

option "wait for vertical refresh" does not have anything with framerate. It only sync video card output with you monitor refresh freq. That is the reason it does not help. Some time ago I had similar problem with other game.
Try to look for s/w to limit yours FPS in internet, I have nVidia card and I am using something called FrameLimiter. But this one is only fo nVidai.:(
quertice

Post by quertice »

ORIGINAL: Rafid

I also observed high CPU load levels with WITPAE. As you correctly guessed Catalyst is just for 3D Applications and will not affect it. In addition I am not sure if it is actually the graphics refresh rate or something under the hood in the engine.

Some programs (especially older ones as you experienced yourself) will basically use (almost) all the available CPU power. You could try to lower the available core frequency and that would lower the burned power and hence temperature. You can use the Energy options for that, by setting the laptop to a power saving plan manually. You might need to check in the advanced settings of the power plans if the power saving plan affects the CPU. I am sorry if some of these names are not exactly what Windows calls them, I’m translating the descriptions from a German Windows myself.

I have done like you writed:

and then cores temperature never went over 50 °C doing a turn!

you solved my problem, thank you!!! [&o][&o][&o]
Rafid

Post by Rafid »

Glad that it worked.

The obvious downside to this solution is that with these settings the laptop will be slow, when some heavy workload comes along. Also 20% might be a bit drastic: 50°C is really low for a laptop. Was the in game speed and responsiveness still ok for you at this setting?

Since you can create your own power plans, you might think about creating a "WITPAE" power plan and switch back to normal if you use the laptop for something else.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

I have had the same problems.

I used some obsolete software to downgrade the CPU's use on my laptop as well as lessen the fan's noise.

Here is the software:

http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

If you're going to be using your laptop much for anything, I would suggest getting an external laptop fan. The laptop sits on top of a sort of laptop desk with a large fan in it that is powered by USB. The fan blows extra air on the laptop from the bottom and it will help keep the laptop cooler. Heat is what frequently kills electronics. Even if your not playing AE, which does push a processor, it's a good idea to use a laptop cooler if your going to be using it for any length of time.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
quertice

Post by quertice »

Now I'm using 50%, it seems still not going over 50 °C , and it's running well, scrolling map or loading pop up seem not being slower.

I keep using 100% just at begin of play session, to generate the new turn (when I load turn of my ally opponent) and to load witp tracker (to avoid a longer await). while doing so temperature gradually increases, but it's still not high after these few minutes, at this point to avoid overheating I get on powersaving at 50%.
For years I haven't used laptop for witp because this overheating, and now passing to 50% after turn calculating and tracker loading all seem going well.

Thank you all for advices.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Reg

Post by Reg »

I gotta agree. [8D] Many thanks to you guys for a solution.

My laptop runs hot, very hot. [:(] 87degrees C and still climbing and I had real concerns about hardware life expectancy while running WITP.

It now runs considerably cooler and the fan outlet air no longer feels like a hair dryer with no noticeable (on the surface) loss of performance.

Thanks Guys. [&o]

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Same problem here (and on my previous laptop, as well). Thanks for a solution!

Now to get into the habit of remembering to switch power plans, if necessary. This laptop is my entire business (yes, it's backed up!).
Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: Reg

I gotta agree. [8D] Many thanks to you guys for a solution.

My laptop runs hot, very hot. [:(] 87degrees C and still climbing and I had real concerns about hardware life expectancy while running WITP.

It now runs considerably cooler and the fan outlet air no longer feels like a hair dryer with no noticeable (on the surface) loss of performance.

Thanks Guys. [&o]

An update to the above. I finally got around to opening up my laptop and the CPU heat sink/exchanger was pretty much the same as the picture below.... [:(] [:(] [:(]

A felt mat of <<....>> blocking the airflow!!!! Yuk!!!

Attachments
Laptop_Heatsink.jpg
Laptop_Heatsink.jpg (61 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Cheers,
Reg.

Reg

Post by Reg »

However, the internet is a wonderful place and with some downloaded instructions and some ebay consumables, the laptop has been cleaned out and I can now run WITP-AE at full speed again with the temp just over 74°C as shown below. [:)] [:)] [:)]

So you guys with laptops with heat issues it might be worth a bit of DYI (or professional help).....

There are various laptop cooling devices on the market that promise to bring temperatures down a further 10°C* though none will work if your airflow is all screwed up....

(* Your mileage may vary depending on hardware configuration)

Attachments
Temp_Monitor.gif
Temp_Monitor.gif (54.69 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Cheers,
Reg.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

However, the internet is a wonderful place and with some downloaded instructions the laptop has been cleaned out and I can now run WITP-AE at full speed again with the temp just over 74°C as shown below. [:)] [:)] [:)]

So you guys with laptops with heat issues it might be worth a bit of DYI (or professional help).....

There are various laptop cooling devices on the market that promise to bring temperatures down a further 10°C* though none will work if your airflow is all screwed up....

Reg,

No updates on Open Hardware Monitor since 2014. Do you know if it is still an active project?
Reg

Post by Reg »

It doesn't appear so as there have been no updates since 2014 and TomsHardware.com is directing people elsewhere as the latest hardware isn't supported. However, it is still a useful utility.

I actually have the free versions of CPUID (updated Jun'16) and HWinfo (updated Oct'16) also installed on my system but they don't appear to have the history plot graph function I find useful.

(Edit: CPUID has graphing in the paid version.)

Cheers,
Reg.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Thanks!
Reg

Holy Cr@p!!!!!

Post by Reg »

However, the internet is a wonderful place and with some downloaded instructions and some ebay consumables, the laptop has been cleaned out and I can now run WITP-AE at full speed again with the temp just over 74°C as shown below. [:)] [:)] [:)]

I just got a Opolar LC06 Laptop Fan Cooler in the mail today. [:)]
(Edit: The IETS GT100 seems to be the same item....)

Wow!!! What a difference!!! 20°C [X(] [X(] [X(]

In both graphs the first half is streaming video and the second half is running a WITP-AE game. Wow!!!!

Disclaimers: Your laptop internal airflow needs to be clear for these devices to work and internet reviews seem to indicate that expensive gaming laptops with beefed up cooling don't need assistance of this type and results can be marginal..

My machine is a business model and this device works VERY well!! [:D] [:D]

Attachments
Temp_Monitor_After.gif
Temp_Monitor_After.gif (45.22 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Cheers,
Reg.

chemkid

RE: Holy Cr@p!!!!!

Post by chemkid »

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Sounds like a (Scheiss) plan.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Return to “Tech Support”