der Rußlandfeldzug 1941

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

melnibonian

der Rußlandfeldzug 1941

Post by melnibonian »

[center]der Rußlandfeldzug[/center]

[center]Image[/center]

After reading a lot of different AARs I’ve decided to try my hand at it. The game will be played against the AI as I would like to hone my skills (I am not an experienced player) before jumping into the lion pit and play against other opponents. Also since I have a quite unbalanced work schedule I think playing against the AI will suit me more in terms of planning the game and the AAR.

By all means please feel free to comment, suggest alternatives both on operations and on strategic level, even boo me if you like or you don’t like something.

The idea is to play the Germans in the 260 VP scenario with random weather and reduced blizzard.

[center]Table of Contents[/center]

[center]Unternehmen Barbarossa[/center]
[center]We must win, and quickly[/center]

[center]Turn 0: 1-21 June 1941

Turn 1: 22-25 June 1941[/center]
[center]Turn 2: 26 June - 3 July 1941[/center]
[center]Turn 3: 4-10 July 1941[/center]
[center]Turn 4: 10-16 July 1941[/center]
[center]Turn 5: 17-23 July 1941[/center]
[center]Turn 6: 24-30 July 1941[/center]
[center]Turn 7: 31 July - 6 August 1941[/center]
[center]Turn 8: 7-14 August 1941[/center]
[center]Turn 9: 15-20 August 1941[/center]
[center]Turn 10: 21-27 August 1941[/center]
[center]Turn 11: 28 August - 3 September 1941[/center]
melnibonian

RE: der Rußlandfeldzug 1941

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 0: 1-21 June 1941[/center]

[center]When Barbarossa commences the world will hold its breath and make no comment![/center]

[center]Image[/center]

The strategic aim of Operation Barbarossa is the total annihilation of the Soviet army in a swift summer campaign. In order to achieve this strategic aim the OKW has allocated 104 infantry, 19 panzer and 15 motorised divisions in three army groups. Despite endless discussions between the officers it was decided to follow the Führer’s request for an advance on a broad front covering the entire European part of the Soviet Union. Based on that the initial plan for the attack has been formulated.

Heeresgruppe Nord

The main aim of Heeresgruppe Nord is to blast the door open in the Baltic republics with a broad pincer movement that can trap the mass of the Soviet army in the area in the corridor between Vilnius and Riga. For this reason 16.Armee and 18.Armee will strike aiming to close the pincer in Riga. The elements of 4.Panzerarmee will be split in this initial phase with LVI Pz.Kps aiming for Riga while the XXXXI Pz.Kps will attempt to cross the Daugava and drive at maximum speed towards Pskov.

Heeresgruppe Mitte

Heeresgruppe Mitte is expected to face the mass of the Soviet army and the main thrust of the attack will be along the Minks-Smolensk-Moscow axis. For that reason the two panzer armies will crush the border defences and drive deep into Belarus in a gigantic pincer towards Minsk enveloping the majority of the Soviet armies north of Pripet Marches. 4 and 9.Armee will attempt to create a secondary pincer east of Bialystok to ensure the destruction of all enemy forces in Belarus before joining the panzer thrusts in Minsk.

Heeresgruppe Süd

The elements of Heeresgruppe Süd that are active in 22 June will attempt to smash the border defences in Brest-Litovsk and envelop the Soviet troops in the area of Lvov. For this reason elements of 2.Panzerarmee will assist in securing the northern part of the pincer while 1.Panzerarmee will race towards Proskurov and Chernovtsy. 6 and 17.Armee will aim to protect the exposed flanks of the armored divisions by engaging the border troops around Lvov.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Last chance to confess sins and pray before the gigantic struggle begins[/center]
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 1: 22 June-25 June 1941[/center]
[center]I therefore decided today to once again lay the fate and future of the German Reich and our people in the hands of our soldiers.

May the Lord God help us especially in this fight![/center]

[center]Image[/center]

[center]German soldiers crossing the border and advancing into USSR[/center]

Heeresgruppe Nord

Standard opening moves with Riga and the crossings of Daugava falling into the hands of XXXXI Pz.Kps and with the infantry trying to keep up. Two small pockets were created and in the next few days it is expected that XXVI AK will clear it on the way to Daugava. The level of resistance offered by the Soviet border troops was almost non-existent and our forces made rapid progress. The destruction of the garrison of Riga was especially important as now the armoured and mechanised thrusts can move towards Pskov attempting to cut-off Estonia and all the Soviet forces stationed there.

The aim of this advance is to try to force the issue in Leningrad as quickly as possible, aiming to destabilise the Soviet defence line before it has time to dig-in and gain cohesion.

Heeresgruppe Mitte

As in the previous case standard opening moves according to the general plan allowed a small pocket in Bialystok to be created trapping approximately 9 Rifle and 5 Tank Divisions and 3 independent Regiments of the Red Army. The pincers of 1 and 2.Panzerarmee managed to cut across the Soviet defences and reached Minsk, although despite the valiant efforts and persistent attacks of 7, 12, 19 and 20.Pz.Divs the city remains in Soviet hands.

Further to the south Guderian’s Panzers drove hard destroying and overrunning all enemy positions in their way and managed to reach Stolbtsy closing the larger envelopment of all Soviet forces in Belarus.

As far as future strategy I am toying with the idea of using elements of 2.Panzerarmee to drive towards Mogilev and then swing south towards Gomel cutting off any forces still in the Pripet area and preparing to hit Kiev from the north. This of course will depend on the shape the Soviet defensive line will take in the area around Smolensk and the progress we will have in Ukraine.

Heeresgruppe Süd

Following OKWs plan we managed to cut off approximately 11 Rifle and 8 Mechanised Divisions of the Red Army and I expect that within the next turn or two this whole area will be clear of enemy forces. XXXXVI Pz.Kps assisted in the attack south of the marches providing the necessary cover in the flanks of 1.Panzerarmee during its race towards Stanislav. The city fell to the 11.Pz.Div but 13.Pz.Div did not manage to reach its ultimate target of Chernovtsy, thus leaving a small corridor for the Soviet forces to escape further east. I don’t expect that a lot of forces will manage to get out of the pocket, but I lack the resources to close it firmly and ensure the destruction of all Soviet forces west of Tarnopol. I guess given the circumstances it will have to do but I am not too happy with the overall picture in this part of the front.

Luftwaffe

In total the Luftwaffe managed to destroy 2421 enemy planes (2242 of them on the ground) for the loss of 25 planes (12 of them fighters). I guess the performance was impressive in terms of numbers but I am not too good in tweaking the different options in the air campaign so I do not intent to give it too much attention.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Ju-87B of I./SG 2 Immelmann on the way to bomb entrenched positions of NKVD Border Troops in Brest-Litovsk[/center]

Overall Loses

In total after one week of hard fighting the Germans have 9278 men taken out of action (5488 killed) together with 255 guns, 100 AFVs and 11 Self Propelled guns and Armour Carriers (I guess that is what SP & AC that I see in the logistics report stands for).

The Soviets suffered similar number of men killed (5514) but had 216,294 men taken prisoner. On top of that they lost 4136 guns, 2253 AFVs and 907 SP&AC.

This initial attack and its outcome clearly indicate to me that I need to increase the level of men killed in comparison with my casualties (we are on 1:1 ratio right now) in order to force early crushing defeats to the Soviets that is one of the overall strategic targets of Barbarossa. I am not sure how easy this will be so for the time I think I will try to create as many encirclements as possible in order to keep the Soviet loses high.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Good opening and very nice AAR

I like to see hex control on your screen shots, so we can see how solid your pockets are.

I can see your new, but clearly have solid gaming skills and a good handle on the game engine.

We need allot more good German players and I say you got what it takes.

the AI
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
loki100

Post by loki100 »

good start and interesting idea.

how are you setting up the maps (for the images?)
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 2: 26 June - 3 July 1941[/center]

[center]At the beginning of each campaign, one pushes a door into a dark, unseen room. One can never know what is hiding inside[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Panzers of Panzergruppe Guderian racing towards Smolensk[/center]

Heeresgruppe Nord

After the swift advance of the previous week almost all Soviet resistance in the Baltic Republics has collapsed. Soviet troops that were left isolated in Lithuania surrendered on mass, although some resistance in the area around Ventspils still remains. L Armeekorps is handling the situation and it is expected that within a few days of operations Northern Lithuania will be cleared from Soviet presence. Elements of 16 and 18.Armee have reached Riga and Daugava whereas 4. Panzerarmee continued its rapid advance and reached Pskov.

From the operations this week we can see that the Red Army is concentrating on building strong defensive positions on the outskirts of Leningrad while elements of the retreating 11th Army is trying to create defensive positions around Velikie Luki.

This situation has created a difficult situation for von Leeb and his staff since Heeresgruppe Nord does not have enough forces to create a strong and continuous line from Leningrad to Velikie Luki (and further south). Heated discussions are taking place at the moment on how to proceed since if I and XXVI Armeekorps concentrate on destroying the retreating elements of the Red Army in the area around Velikie Luki there will be not enough troops left to mount a coordinated attack along the Novgorod-Leningrad axis. For this reason the high command is hatching two alternative plans regarding the use of XXXXI Pz.Kps (LVI Pz.Kps will attack Novgorod) as indicated in the map. The traditional line of thinking (Plan A) calls for a coordinated panzer thrust in Novgorod aiming to destabilise the soviet defensive positions while the infantry is catching up marching through Estonia and the forests around Luga. The alternative plan (B) is calling for the division of 4. Panzerarmee with LVI Pz.Kps moving towards Novgorod while the XXXXI Pz.Kps swings south in a gigantic pincer to isolate the 11th Soviet Army and eliminate the threat in the Velikie Luki area.

[center]Image[/center]

Heeresgruppe Mitte

In Belarus all the Soviet forces that were enveloped in the Bialystok area have been eliminated by VII and IX Armeekorps. Most of the Soviet troops surrendered en-masse although some isolated resistance incidents were observed leading to a few but unnecessary casualties for the Wehrmacht.

After the elimination of the Bialystok pocket the road to Minsk lay open and the Soviet garrison retreated leaving the city unprotected. While the infantry units of 4 and 9.Armee are rushing to cover the distance 3.Panzerarmee pushed forward towards Smolensk in two separate pincer arms and despite heavy Soviet resistance managed to reach Mogilev and secure the crossings in the Dvina.

Elements of 2.Panzerarmee have pushed hard and crossed the Dnepr in Zhiobin supporting the exposed flanks of XXXIV Pz.Kps.

The strategic situation in this sector offers a few possibilities that von Bock and his staff are examining at the moment. 3.Panzerarmee will continue the forward attack trying to bypass Smolensk and the two broad pincers will aim to meet in Vyazma. The aim of this attack is to isolate Smolensk and trap all the units in the area in a loose pocket while at the same time occupy the forward position needed for a follow-up attack on Moscow. The big disadvantage of this move is the massive distance between infantry and panzer units that renders any close support out of the question.

The earlier division of 2.Panzerarmee during the Lvov encirclement means that the remaining XXIV and XXXXVII Pz.Kps are not strong enough to spearhead an independent attack against the mass of the Soviet forces in the area. Therefore high command is debating two alternative plans for the use of these units during the next few weeks. One option is to continue to provide support on the flanks of 2.Panzerarmee and move towards Kaluga (Plan A) while the other is to swing south bypassing Gomel and drive hard towards Kiev (Plan B). Again as in the case of 3.Panzerarmee the main problem is the lack of infantry support, the large distances and the thinning supply lines.

[center]Image[/center]

Heeresgruppe Süd

In the area around Lvov the majority of the Soviet troops were kept inside the pocket, but at the moment they refuse to surrender and fight hard for every inch of ground they concede causing significant casualties. For this reason a full attack on the pocket has been postponed but hopefully within the next few days a new clearing operation will begin that is expected to lead to a mass surrender of all the remaining units in the area. Due to the size of the pocket a significant amount of infantry units did not manage to keep pace with the armoured units that drove towards Zhitomir and Vinnitsa. Again as in the case of the attack on Smolensk elements of 2.Panzerarmee protected the flanks of the advancing 1.Panzerarmee. In this sector of the front the enemy is providing strong resistance in depth making deep thrusts from the Panzer Divisions difficult and very costly. Nevertheless 1.Panzerarmee managed to push forward and is in position to strike towards Kiev or Kirovograd.

[center]Image[/center]

Further south unfortunately the situation is worst since the majority of the Rumanian forces failed to overcome the Soviet border positions, although some level of success has been seen in the sector near Kishinev.

[center]Image[/center]

Luftwaffe

During this week the Luftwaffe has destroyed 739 enemy planes for the loss of 20. A pretty good performance if one considers that most of the squadrons were also moved further forward to support ground operations.

Overall Loses

During this week the Wehrmacht suffered 6255 men killed, 8999 disabled and 255 loss to the enemy. Comparatively the Soviet forces have suffered 15580 men killed, 15921 disabled and we managed to capture 186502 men mostly in the area around Bialystok.

This week despite the kill ratio been higher our estimates are that we have managed to cause the Soviets almost half the casualties of the previous week, a clear indication that the Red Army is trying to get over the initial shock and makes desperate attempts to regain its cohesion and fighting power.

General Strategic Situation

After two weeks of hard fighting we can see that in the North and Central sectors of the front we have achieved massive success, having our panzer thrusts in a position to threaten Smolensk and Leningrad. On the Southern Front the attack in the Lvov-Kiev axis has been moderately successful but not as spectacular as in the area around Minsk.

[center]Image[/center]

The overall situation gives a number of options that are outlined in the map below. The tempting targets are the massed Soviet troops in the areas around Velikie Luki and Gomel. A series of coordinated Panzer thrusts could envelop them but we are severely short of infantry to provide cover and maintain the blockade of the isolated enemy formations. Furthermore by pursuing these targets we will not have enough troops to isolate Smolensk. In other words we cannot chase all the available rabbits and I am really thinking hard how to proceed.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Heinz Guderian (Oberbefehlshaber Panzergruppe 2), Generalleutnant Hans-Jürgen von Arnim (Kommandeur 17.Panzer-Division) and General der Panzertruppe Joachim Lemelsen poring over their maps trying to decide if they will move towards Moscow or Gomel[/center]

ORIGINAL: Pelton

Good opening and very nice AAR

I like to see hex control on your screen shots, so we can see how solid your pockets are.

I can see your new, but clearly have solid gaming skills and a good handle on the game engine.

We need allot more good German players and I say you got what it takes.

the AI

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence and for your kind words. I hope I will manage some moderate success and learn from you guys. I will include a hex control picture soon.
ORIGINAL: loki100

good start and interesting idea.

how are you setting up the maps (for the images?)

Thank you very much. Coming from you whose AARs are setting the benchmark means a lot [:)]

Regarding the maps I do not do anything in particular. I use print screen to get the game picture and then paste it into PowerPoint. There I just draw the necessary arrows and add any text I need before grouping everything (it helps as things tend to move around a lot if you have so many objects on the screen). After that I copy and paste the whole edited map into Paint, crop the parts that I don't need, save it as jpg and upload it to photobucket.

I am sure if I spend a bit more time I can come up with more fancy stuff but editing images is not really my strong suit and I do not have any special editing programs. I have tried to find arrows that are similar to the actual maps you see in history books (thick at the base and thin close to the tip) but unfortunately I was not successful. If anybody knows how to use them or where to find them I will be more than happy to listen.

Have I answered your question or I have missunderstood something?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

its good to see a vs AI AAR, since I suspect this is how most people play the game in a way its more informative of the demands and choices than the conventional AARs built around PBEM.

as to the maps, what I was intrigued about was the background, its really clear and bright ... mine seem to come out rather dull
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

its good to see a vs AI AAR, since I suspect this is how most people play the game in a way its more informative of the demands and choices than the conventional AARs built around PBEM.

as to the maps, what I was intrigued about was the background, its really clear and bright ... mine seem to come out rather dull

OK got it. I am using this map http://www.hist-sdc.com/MapMod/index.htm and I have applied this tweak fb.asp?m=3804048 that changes the brightness in the map mod.

schascha

Post by schascha »

Very nice AAR thx [&o][&o][&o]
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 3: 4-10 July 1941[/center]

[center]The Red Army and Navy and the whole Soviet people must fight for every inch of Soviet soil, fight to the last drop of blood for our towns and villages...onward, to victory![/center]

Heeresgruppe Nord

[center]Image[/center]

In the northern sector 4.Panzerarmee faced fanatical resistance but managed to capture the strategically located city of Pskov. In order to limit the exposed flank of the advanced LVI Pz.Kps , XXXXI Pz.Kps tried to encircle elements of the 11th Soviet Army south of Pskov. Unfortunately a small corridor still remains open near the rail section of Deriglazovo, so it is not expected that all encircled soviet troops will remain in the area. Still the strategic aim of this manoeuvre has been achieved as 11th and 12th Soviet Armies have been separated and the road to Novgorod is open.

Elements of 16.Armee are racing towards Velike Luki trying to stop the 12th Soviet Army from crossing the Dvinia. At the same time 18.Armee after clearing Lithuania and Latvia is moving into Estonia. Resistance is expected to be minimal until the outskirts of Leningrad, therefore speed is of the essence if we are to achieve our target of disrupting the Soviet defensive preparations in the region.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Pskov's city centre after the expulsion of the Soviet garrison[/center]

Heeresgruppe Mitte

[center]Image[/center]

Panzergruppe Hoth (3.Panzerarmee) tried to bypass Smolensk according to OKW plan with moderate success. The northern pincer driven by LVII Pz.Kps smashed Soviet defensive positions and drove deep behind enemy lines reaching Durovo. The southern pincer driven by XXXIX Pz.Kps faced stiff resistance from the concentrated Soviet forces and made little progress, thus being unable to isolate Smolensk and achieving the overall operational aims.

I believe this setback can be attributed to the lack of infantry support as the Soviets put up fanatical resistance and defend in depth, making any rapid mechanised movements irrelevant without someone filling the gaps created by these thrusts.

2.Panzerarmee has moved towards Gomel beyond the Dnepr but again the lack of infantry support makes any territorial gains temporary.

Both 4 and 9.Armee are racing towards the front after having clear the Bialystok pocket and it is expected that within a few weeks (at most) the front will have regain its cohesion.

The main question facing von Bock now is how to proceed in the area around Smolensk. One option is to continue the attack despite the lack of resources in order to destabilise the Soviet defensive line and cause a partial collapse. An alternative option is to stabilise the front, rest the Panzers and prepare for a renewed attack once the infantry is in place. Both options offer advantages and disadvantages and I am really thinking on how to proceed here.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]General der Panzertruppe Heinz Guderian (Panzergruppe 2) and Generaloberst Hermann Hoth (Panzergruppe 3) discussion on how to coordinate their attack on Smolensk[/center]

Heeresgruppe Süd

[center]Image[/center]

In this section of the front we have experienced mass surrender of Soviet troops isolated in the Lvov pocket. In total we have managed to destroy 2 armour, 2 motorised, 16 Rifle divisions and approximately 24 independent brigades and regiments leading to the capture of 207,000 Soviet soldiers and more than 3000 guns. Some Soviet units are still putting up fierce resistance in the mountainous region close to the border with Slovakia but mopping up operations by Slovakian border troops are expected to have the area cleared soon.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Soviet troops surrendering in the area of Lvov[/center]

Further east Panzergruppe Kleist has conducted another encirclement of the remaining Soviet forces (16th and 18th Army) in the area of Zhitomir while XXXXVIII Pz.Kps and XIV Pz.Kps have reached the outskirts of Kiev and Cherkassy respectively.

With the elimination of the mass of Soviet troops in the Lvov-Kiev axis the road for Ukraine’s interior is open and the aim is to cross the Dnepr as quickly as possible and drive towards Kharkov, Dnipropetrovsk and Zaporozhe.

[center]Image[/center]

Further south the Romanian allies managed to overcome the Soviet border defences and are moving towards Odessa and Nikolayev. 6.Armee has crossed the Dnestr and will provide cover to the southern flank of 1.Panzerarmee while moving towards Kirovograd.

[center]Image[/center]

Luftwaffe

During this week the Luftwaffe has destroyed 647 enemy planes for the loss of 84. The significant increase in the Luftwaffe loses could indicate that the Soviets are putting up stiffer resistance or it could be an outcome of the relentless move eastwards (most Fliegerkorps were brought closer to the front-line leaving a lot of bombing raids without fighter cover).

Overall Losses

During this week of operations the Wehrmacht suffered 11316 casualties (3109 dead, 8116 disabled and 91 captured) and the loss of 135 guns, 87 AFVs and 21 SP&AC.
The Soviets suffered 225806 casualties (2818 dead, 14339 disabled and 208649 captured) and the loss of 3197 guns, 1117 AFVs and 422 SP&AP.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Intelligence photo of a previously unidentified type of Soviet Armour. Surely they can't have too many of these[/center]

ORIGINAL: schascha

Very nice AAR thx [&o][&o][&o]

Thank you very much for your kind words. All feedback is encouraged and most appreciated [:)]
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

Indeed a nice ARR.
Just one note. Your encirclements are not very tight. That is not a problem vs AI but human opponent will exploit it. Do not carry this habit into the pbem game otherwise you will pay dearly for it.
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 4: 10-16 July 1941[/center]
[center]It is no exaggeration to say that the Russian campaign has been won in fourteen days[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Generaloberst Franz Halder is convinced that the war against USSR is all but over[/center]

Heeresgruppe Nord

In the northern section of the front the Soviets are digging into the area around Leningrad and Velikie Luki. In the meantime LVI Pz.Kps has captured Novgorod and XXXXI Pz.Kps has crossed the Lovat. The main problem in this sector caused by the collapse of the Soviet defences is the large distances between the Panzer thrusts and the infantry. 18.Armee is moving into Estonia and aims to attach the Soviet positions in the vicinity of Leningrad from the west. 16.Armee will move towards Novgorod in order to close off the city and stop the arrival of further enemy reinforcements.

The only concern is the troops located in the Velikie Luki area but I expect their position to become unattainable as soon as Smolensk falls.

Detachment of Infanterie-Regiment 167 (86. Infanterie-Division) on the way to Talin

Heeresgruppe Mitte

In the area around Smolensk the coordinated pincers of XXXXIX and LVII Pz.Kps managed to isolate the garrison in Smolensk and hopefully destabilise the entire Soviet defensive line west of Vyazma. Further deep thrusts behind enemy lines from XXIV and XXXXVII Pz.Kps crippled the defensive Soviet positions north of Gomel and elements of the 10. Infanterie-Division (mot) have captured Bryansk. With these thrusts I aim to force the Soviets to abandon their defensive positions in the area of Gomel while at the same time prepare the ground for the final attack on Moscow.

The rest of the infantry is still catching up so most probably I will need to stabilise the front before any major operations begin in the Vyzama-Moscow axis.

German troops advancing in the area of Smolensk

Heeresgruppe Süd

In the south the pocket around Zhitomir has been cleared yielding approximately 100,000 prisoners and more than 3000 guns. The elimination of the 16th and 18th Soviet Armies in Zhitomir compounded with the losses in Lvov appears to have crippled the Soviet defences in central Ukraine. Taking full advantage of this 1.Panzerarmee has advanced rapidly facing only token resistance and threatening the Soviet defences in Poltava and Dnepropetrovsk.

The main strategic aim of this advance in the isolation of the city of Kharkov and if possible further destabilisation of the Soviet positions in Stalino and Zaporozhye.

Further north XXXXVI Pz.Kps has bypassed Kiev and moves towards Gomel aiming to reunite with the units of 2.Panzerarmee.

Infantry units are closing in and hopefully Kiev, Cherkassy and Kirovograd will fall to our hands soon.

Forward detachments of 9. Panzer-Division (Panzergruppe Kleist) resting in the outskirts of Poltava

Luftwaffe

During this week the Luftwaffe lost 38 planes for 615 kills bringing the grand total of Soviet loses somewhere around 4500 planes of all types. At the same time the losses of the Luftwaffe since the beginning of the campaign are 174 planes of all types. In total this has created a 1:26 killing ratio on our favour and if this continues for another 3-4 weeks the Soviets will end-up fighting over a totally German-dominated sky.

Overall Losses

During this week’s operations we have lost 8420 men (2020 killed, 6311 disabled and 89 captured), 111 guns, 134 AFVs and 27 SP&AC. The Soviets have suffered 119.092 casualties (2085 dead, 12460 disabled and 104,547 prisoners), 3280 guns, 2395 AFVs and 538 SP&AC.

What is surprising is the low number of Soviet dead in the last few weeks indicating the unwillingness of the Soviet high command to fight.

Despite the advancing Germans citizens of Leningrad continue to enjoy the summer
ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

Indeed a nice ARR.
Just one note. Your encirclements are not very tight. That is not a problem vs AI but human opponent will exploit it. Do not carry this habit into the pbem game otherwise you will pay dearly for it.

Thanks a lot for the vote of confidence and your suggestions. I know my encirclement is not ideal and I am trying to get better. Any help experienced players can offer is most welcome
loki100

Post by loki100 »

stunning rate of advance ... but you may find the Pzrs out of supply for the next few turns, esp in the south?
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

stunning rate of advance ... but you may find the Pzrs out of supply for the next few turns, esp in the south?

That's exactly what I am afraid of but no matter what I say Generaloberst Franz Halder is convinced that the war is over [:)]

On a serious note I will probably have to slow the Panzers down and let the infantry and rail lines catch up otherwise we'll have issues with such exposed bridgeheads
morvael

Post by morvael »

Lovely photos, maps, historical quotes. A top-notch AAR. I'm only afraid the incompetence of the AI will soon ruin your game. Can't wait for your first PBEM AAR. Kepp up the good work!
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

ORIGINAL: morvael

Lovely photos, maps, historical quotes. A top-notch AAR. I'm only afraid the incompetence of the AI will soon ruin your game. Can't wait for your first PBEM AAR. Kepp up the good work!

Thanks a lot for your supportive comments.

I am not so experienced in the game although I have played similar games in the past. Hopefully when I feel that I can cope with a real challenge I will seriously consider a PBEM game.

On the other hand so far the Soviets are in disarray but something is telling me the situation will become significantly more difficult as we are reaching the doors of Moscow [;)]
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 5: 17-23 July 1941[/center]
[center]These Russians seem to have an inexhaustible supply of men. Here they unload fresh troops from Siberia every day, they bring up fresh guns and lay mines all over the place[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]German troops trying to catch-up with the Panzers[/center]

Heeresgruppe Nord

16 and 18.Armee has started their advance towards Leningrad but are facing stiff resistance in the outer Soviet defensive line around the city. The advance of the Finish units has started but the progress is at best moderate. Nevertheless their presence will force the Soviet high command to divide its forces, thus allowing better odds for the Wehrmacht.

4.Panzerarmee is trying to break through the Soviet defences on either side of Ilmen lake without much success so far.

The Soviets seem to try to create a solid defensive line in the area of Velikie Luki. To meet the potential threat to the rear of Heeresgruppe Nord a number of recently arrived divisions are rushed to the area.

The brunt of the attack on Leningrad will be shouldered by 16 and 18.Armee and the plan is to use LVI and XXXXI Pz.Kps to isolate the city from the ports in Lake Ladoga.

The situation in this sector is serious due to the large number of Soviet reinforcements, but OKW is convinced that with coordinated infantry and armour attacks the city can be stormed within the next few weeks.

Flak emplacements in Leningrad protecting Saint Isaac's Cathedral

Heeresgruppe Mitte

During this week it was decided to use the two Panzergruppen to expand the frontline around Smolensk in preparation for the upcoming drive towards Moscow. For this reason 3.Panzerarmee secured the north east sector of the front while 2.Panzerarmee secured the area around Briansk.

The downside of this decision is that the advance lost momentum (hopefully temporarily) giving the Soviets the opportunity to dig-in and create a solid defensive line. This development was something OKW was trying to avoid at all cost but unfortunately the relentless advance of the Panzers could not have continued without risk of them being cut-off by the Soviets. It was decided to allow for a breather in order for the infantry to catch-up and as soon as the armoured units are resupplied and refuelled the advance will begin again.

It is expected that the attack along the Vyazma-Moscow axis will begin in early August and the high command has drafted some preliminary plans, but no decision on the details of the attack is made yet. According to the provisional plan the advance will be spearheaded by the two Panzergruppen in two phases. In Phase A Panzergruppe Hoth will try to envelop the Soviet armies north of Vyazma and isolate the garrison in Rzhev. Simultaneously Panzergruppe Guderian will move to isolate the Soviet armies south of Vyazma aiming for the city of Tula. The main strategic aim of this phase is the destabilisation of the Soviet front by punching holes along its flanks, leaving the Soviet high command with the option to retreat towards Moscow or hold the line and risk the encirclement and subsequent destruction of all the units in the area.

As soon as the Soviets start retreating towards the Vyazma-Moscow axis a new envelopment (Phase B) will be attempted trying to isolate Moscow itself and secure the destruction of the mass of Soviet forces in the area.

Panzers are preparing to advance towards Moscow

Heeresgruppe Süd

As in the case of the Smolensk sector the relentless drive of Panzergruppe Kleist has been halted to allow for the infantry to catch-up in preparation of the advance towards Kharkov. XXXXVI Pz.Kps moved northwards and managed to capture Gomel and isolate any Soviet units still in the Pripet area. III Pz.Kps captured Zaporozhye endangering the entire southern flank of the Soviet defences in the area of Nikolaev.

The halt of the Panzers allowed the Soviets to establish a solid defensive line and OKW has decided not to renew the advance until the infantry catches up and supports the armoured thrusts behind the enemy lines. The plan is for XXXXVIII and XIV Pz.Kps to smash through the Soviet defences and isolate the strategically important city of Kharkov. At the same time III Pz.Kps will move towards Stalino and Rostov forcing the Soviet forces in the area of Nikolaev to move towards Crimea where they can be isolated by the advancing Rumanian allies.

Luftwaffe

During this week the Luftwaffe destroyed 896 enemy planes (532 FBs, 49 Tactical Bombers, 282 Level bombers, 12 Reconnaissance and 21 transports) for the loss of 101 planes (27 fighters, 6 FB, 2 tactical bombers, 64 level bombers and 4 Reconnaissance).

Overall Losses

During this week's operations we have suffered 13898 casualties (3905 dead, 9593 disabled and 311 captured), 141 guns and 3 AFVs while the Soviets suffered 360549 casualties (35547 dead, 83613 disabled and 241389 prisoners), 1703 guns, 319 AFVs and 115 SP&AC.

The Soviets are digging trenches and heavy defensive positions in the forests around Leningrad
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

The guy on the last photo has the old prussian helmet.

Michel.

Edit : ok i see it's fixed.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 6: 24-30 July 1941[/center]
[center]Lenin left us a great legacy, but we, his heirs have f%$*ed it up[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]German High Command planing offensive operations and is trying to persuade Italian allies to assist in the war against the USSR[/center]

Heeresgruppe Nord

During this week of operations 16 and 18.Armee are ever closing to Leningrad and in the process overrun the Soviet defensive positions. A rapid advance and coordination between the two armies has crushed the outer ring of defences and brought the city within artillery range. The true siege can now begin.

LVI Pz.Kps is still holding Novgorod and the aim is to move north, bypassing the Soviet defences and reach the ports of Lake Ladoga, thus securing the isolation of the city. For this task close cooperation with infantry is required so all elements of 4.Panzerarmee have been resting and resupplying this week.

Anti-tank emplacements in the center of Leningrad in anticipation of the German attack

Further south High Command has been increasingly worried lately with the massive Soviet concentrations in the area between Lake Ilmen and Velikie Luki. Intelligence has indicated the possibility for three Soviet Armies operating in the area and their sheer number is severely threatening the coordination and coherency of the Leningrad and Moscow Sectors. For this reason OKW has decided to launch Operation Donnerschlag aiming to achieve the complete destruction of the enemy units in this area and reduce the length of the front.

The Operation will be conducted in two phases and is expected to be completed within one month. The initial phase will require from LI, XXII, VII and XXXXII AKs to coordinate in pincer moves that will keep the Soviet forces engaged along the entire front. While the mass of the Soviet troops is committed to defend the German assault XXXXI Pz.Kps will attempt a thrust deep behind enemy lines towards Peno. Depending on the outcome of the initial panzer thrust and the success of the infantry assaults further cooperation with elements of Panzergruppe Hoth can be required at a later date.

German soldiers are discussing the potential targets of the upcomming operations

Heeresgruppe Mitte

In the Moscow Sector the aim this week has been on the stabilisation of the front, the resupply of the Armour Divisions and the preparation for a series of coordinated attacks along the Vyazma-Moscow and Bryansk-Tula axis.

The main strategic aim of XXXIX Pz.Kps is to coordinate with infantry and isolate the enemy forces in the area around Pzhev. Further pincer attacks from XX and VI AK aim to destabilise the front in the area of Vyazma and if possible to isolate the defensive forces stationed there.

Elements of 10.Pz-Div. resting before driving towards Tula

Further south XXIV Pz.Kps will attempt to thrust deep towards Tula, smashing the defending Soviet forces and punching a massive hole in their defensive line. This initial thrust is expected to force the Soviets to thin their defences around Moscow due to the extension of the front line and to create a bulge that can be attacked and isolated at a later date.

South of Bryansk XXXXVIII and XXXXVI Pz.Kps will attempt a further deep thrust towards Kursk and Orel and at the same time try to envelop the mass of Soviet forces threatening the Gomel section.

If both these thrusts are successful OKW expects that the whole defensive line south of Moscow will collapse allowing for a rapid drive along the Orel-Kursk-Tula axis.

Panzer IVs of 7.Pz-Div. moving close to their startup positions in the area of Pzhev

Heeresgruppe Süd

In this sector the main strategic aims are the envelopment and destruction of the Soviet concentrations around Sumy and the isolation and eventual capture of Kharkov.

The destruction of the Soviet forces in Sumy will be assigned to elements of 6.Armee and the attack on Kharkov will be spearheaded with XXXXVIII and XIV Pz.Kps. III Pz.Kps will attempt a smaller envelopment around Poltava in order to pin down Soviet forces and minimise the resistance to the deeper Panzer thrusts.

Soviet troops waiting for the upcoming German assault

Luftwaffe
During this week the Luftwaffe lost 30 planes for 63 kills indicating the relative calm along the entire front in preparation of the new offensive operations.

Overall Losses
During this week’s operations we have lost 9625 men (2048 killed, 7366 disabled and 211 captured), 99 guns, 34 AFVs and 13 SP&AC. The Soviets have suffered 59244 casualties (2419 dead, 12765 disabled and 50,570 prisoners), 771 guns, 218 AFVs and 47 SP&AC.

Again the overall loses indicate the relative calm of the front, although we have managed to capture about 50,000 enemy soldiers which is quite impressive taking into consideration the lack of large scale operations.

Soviet tank crews preparing to make a stand against the Panzers
ORIGINAL: micheljq

The guy on the last photo has the old prussian helmet.

Michel.

Michel you are correct. I did not realise it and I appologise. I have changed the picture in the post to reflect the correct war [;)]
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

[center]Turn 7: 31 July – 6 August 1941[/center]
[center]We only have to kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down[/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Defend the Motherland to the last drop of blood[/center]

Heeresgruppe Nord

In the Leningrad section 16 and 18.Armee continue to advance towards the outer defensive positions in the area around Leningrad. 12. Infanteriedivision managed to reach the shores of the gulf of Leningrad denying the Soviets one of the harbors.

In the meantime 16.Armee is attempting to create a wedge between the Soviet forces on either side of the gulf, threatening the city of Tonso. Elements of 16.Armee have also managed to clear the area around Novgorod allowing LVI Pz.Kps to break out of the marshes and drive northwards attempting to reach Lake Ladoga and complete the city’s isolation.

Soviet counterattack in the outskirts of Leningrad

In all I am fairly pleased with the way the plans made in the previous turn have been executed and although LVI Pz.Kps did not manage to advance as much as I would have liked the momentum is clearly with von Manstein’s troops.

South of Lake Ilmen in the Velikie Luki Sector XXXXI Pz.Kps managed to move behind the Soviet defensive positions towards the city of Molvotitsy. At the same time XXII and XXXXII AKs have managed to overrun the Soviet positions and capture the city of Peno. Although the envelopment of the Soviet troops in the area is not complete and there is a corridor open in the area of Ostashkov large number of Soviet forces will have a hard time escaping from total annihilation.

Destroyed Soviet armor in Peno

V AK has managed to capture the city of Rzhev destabilising the coherency of the Soviet defensive line while at the same time opening a northern route to attack Moscow. Because the resources allocated in Operation Donnerschlag are not sufficient to secure the complete encirclement and subsequent annihilation of the mass of Soviet forces in the area of Velikie Luki I am thinking of utilising 3.Panzerarmee in a deep thrust north towards the Rzhev-Vyshny Volochek axis. Although this will mean that the Panzers will not be able to move towards Moscow I believe that by destroying the Soviet troops on this area the Moscow Front will be starved of troops, thus allowing for a relatively easier deep Panzer thrusts at a later date behind Moscow.

Heeresgruppe Mitte

In the Moscow Sector a series of coordinated attacks by the infantry managed to isolate a number of Soviet frontline units and destabilise the Soviet defensive line. XXXXIII AK managed to eliminate the salient in Vyazma and together with VIII AK have reached Borodino the site of the famous victorious battle of Napoleon against Imperial Russia in 1812.

Further south XXXXVII Pz.Kps has managed to penetrate deep and crossed the river Oka isolating the Soviet defences in Kaluga. In a similar move XXIV Pz.Kps has captured the city of Tula taking advantage of the success LII and VII AKs had in destroying the Soviet defences in the area around Bryansk.

Soviet defences in Tula minutes before the German Panzers enter the town

South of Orel XXXXVI Pz.Kps has strike deep towards Kursk and assisting XXIX AK to encircle the mass of Soviet troops in the area of Gomel.

XVII and LV AKs assisted by XXXXVIII Pz.Kps managed to encircle the mass of Soviet forces in the area of Chernigov while IV AK is driving towards the strategic city of Kharkov.

In all the successive encirclements of almost the entire Soviet frontline troops in the Rzhev-Kharkov axis has all but eliminated the defensive capabilities of the Soviet high command in this area. It is true the in the area around Moscow (north of Oka) the Soviet High Command has managed to position large numbers of troops but by separating the defences in Orel from Tula and Kaluga we can start moving towards a partial encirclement of the Moscow area itself. The main problem the German High Command faces now is the need for the rapid elimination of the individual pockets and the secure of the Oka as the new frontline south of Moscow. Unfortunately for the latter task only the two Panzer Corps are currently available but I expect fresh troops to move in the area as soon as the situation allows it to support the Panzers.

Infantry units trying to force their way in Kaluga

In all I expect one or two weeks of heavy fighting to eliminate the pockets and keep the Soviets north of Oka and another two weeks for securing the new frontline in preparation for the final assault in the city itself. If all goes according to plan we should be in a position to start the attempt to encircle the defenders of Moscow in early September.

Heeresgruppe Süd

In this sector the encirclement and destruction of the majority of the Soviet troops in the area around Kharkov has open the door for rapid movement of IV and XXX AKs towards the (almost) defenceless city.

Further south XI AK has managed to release the pressure of the troops on the Dnepropetrovsk and Zaporozhye bridgeheads crossing the Dnepr threatening the Soviet forces in the area.
LIV AK managed to capture Odessa and Nikolaev and together with 3.Armee (Rom) are racing to cross the Dnepr and isolate Crimea.

The port of Odessa after the surrender of the Soviet garrison

The main problem OKW faces in this area is the extended supply lines that have minimised the capabilities of Panzergruppe Kleist. One idea is to move the Panzers closer to Kiev let them resupply and then use them for the final push towards Stalino and Rostov. That will mean that the advance will be slower but at least with the lack of Soviet troops in the area the infantry should be able to maintain some momentum.

Luftwaffe

During this week the Luftwaffe lost 108 planes (44 fighters and 54 level bombers) for 306 kills indicating the severity of the operations along the entire front.

Overall Losses

During this week’s operations we have lost 16466 men (6283 killed, 9918 disabled and 265 captured), 225 guns, 44 AFVs and 22 SP&AC. The Soviets have suffered 206303 casualties (12765 dead, 29198 disabled and 164,340 prisoners), 2659 guns, 1095 AFVs and 283 SP&AC.

German bomber being hit over Moscow

Return to “After Action Reports”