Tying together East and West?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

GreyWolf16

Tying together East and West?

Post by GreyWolf16 »

OK - I am FINALLY going to give this game a try. I've owned it from it's release date but I have not had the nerve to commit to it. Two questions:

1 - can someone point me to the most useful 'beginners guides or tutorials'?
2 - is there any way to hook War in The West into a War in the East game on any level (even if it means using 'house rules' or some other means so that I can play the games simultaneously if I actually live long enough for the Western front to get active?

Danke.
Numdydar

RE: Tying together East and West?

Post by Numdydar »

Playing all the 'Road to ... ' scenarios is a great first step. There is an outdated AAR that covers AGN in great detail that is also good.

On #2 No. No way no how. Since WitW portrays the Eastern Front as an East Front box versus hexes.
morvael

Post by morvael »

1 - look at some threads in the War Room, unfortunately there is no such wonderful Player Guide as Red Lancer did for WitW.
2 - I don't think so, in WitW you can have "east front box" and the front slowly moves over the map but that's all.
GreyWolf16

Post by GreyWolf16 »

Thanks guys. As far as linking is concerned I just wondered if anyone developed any 'house rules' such as changing the difficulty settings mid-game if one front or the other is going better or worse...
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

The only way I could think of is to pull units out of the EF box as the Germans if WitE is going well for the Russians. Of course these units would need to sit somewhere away from the Allied lines to represent that they were 'lost' on the EF.

The problem with the war going well for the Germans in WitE is that to reflect that additional troops would have to be sent to the EF box in WitW. Which of course means less troops to fight the Allies. So no really good way to reflect a better German result in the East [:(]
morvael

Post by morvael »

WitW should have the option to import east frontline and forces in EF box from WitE save having the same date :)
sven6345789

Post by sven6345789 »

Regarding 2.
You could just turn the East Front box off in WitW. This would result in units withdrawing from the east to appear in in the west and vice versa since you will get the same system for withdrawing as in WitE, that is the historical schedule.
But they would still be 2 games.
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Of course with a more "global" game, the german could manage it's forces depending on own it is going in east and west, what he want so achieve, etc.

Maybe one day, right it can be done in some boardgames.

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Like maybe World in Flames [:)]
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Yes World in Flames but it's only at corps level though, with some divisions, but nowhere near WitE complexity.

The only board i know at this level would be Europa but it requires a full house to play it, too insane.

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Case Blue board game is pretty complex but only covers '42/43 in AGS.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”