GD 1938 - the Future or maybe just a direction

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

GD 1938 - the Future or maybe just a direction

Post by ernieschwitz »

Hi Guys,

I have now for many years kept developing GD 1938, to the stage it is today, and still I am looking for improvements. However, sometimes I feel it is too broken, to fix. Needless to say I take critism too harshly at times. Never the less, I am going to ask you for your ideas for improvements, and adjustments.

I already have some ideas, that I am tossing around in my head, but it would be great to get some even more interesting ideas, to modify or change the existing game, to something even better.

My main goal is to have a game of what-if, that is fun to play. To a lesser degree I want it to follow some of the general courses of the world war. So while I do realize that it is a wargame, going on in the ww2 era, on a global scale, I do not want it to be a simulation of it.

So within that framework, preferably working within the options available, and not requiring a complete reprogramming of the game, what are your wishes?

Claus / Ernieschwitz
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Jeffrey H.

RE: GD 1938 - the Future or maybe just a direction

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Would it be possible to have a fw AI controlled countries thrown into the existing player controlled countries ? A few minor nations randomly doing their own thing might add some interesting variation.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

The biggest thing would be achievable victory conditions for all the players. Some have goals that are not IMHO achievable.
Also give victory conditions that don't REQUIRE one nation to fight another specific nation to achieve any one of their goals--example I believe is China...to achieve any 1 of the 5 goals China must fight Japan. Making an alliance between them impossible to maintain. And don't force a nation to make a choice on game turn 1...put it off until the second year starts. (And having the goals specified in game would help).

Other than that just a few minor tweets. All units built should require manpower--otherwise you have "few" units that can be built to infinity. And if they are combat units make the game totally unrealistic.

Make it possible for any nation to ally with any other nation...right now some nations always ally with each other...goals where they have to fight would make it more interesting. As of now some goals require nations to cooperate even if they might want to fight each other to make the game interesting. A goal where China and Japan could ally and achieve a goal would be nice. Example--make a goal where the USA has to take Canada and Australia--IMHO achievable and would require the USA to fight Great Britain.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

LJB I am the US in game 16 and allied with Japan. We are at war with China and the Soviets. And the Soviets allied with Germany.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Ernie I noticed another small problem with only one factory a year. Britain usually needs to build a chem factory in the main Islands but with only one factory a year that really limits what they can do. Perhaps allow us to increase production at our resource sites as well?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

And having the goals specified in game would help

Actually they are specified, in the Victory part of the briefing, that is accessible in the game. The exact one you have chosen is visible in the diplomatics section, under resources, the one called Victor, i believe.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I am a fairly newbie to this mod, and want to say thanks for an excellent mod. Also, I was wondering if a Card could be used (created/played) to enhance a nations inherent strenghths (WW2 strenghtths), like the Japanese were known to be very tough infantry who fought to almost the last man (perhaps a card to increase morale of all infantry a high percentage if attacked that turn) or like the US troops were known to start very green, but learn lessons very quickly (perhaps a card to increase experience of any unit that was in battle the previous turn by a large percentage), etc.
My other wish would be a way to give extra Production Points to a country at the start of the game as a way to give a multiplayer game with differing experience/skill levels a play balance boost, or could be used to make what if scenarios, like what if the UK or France had been better prepared for war, etc. Again, I am a newbie, so take this wishlist in that spirit. [8D]
JRR
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

I am a completly newbie to this mod, so my suggestions are simple:
- supply truck carry 5 supplies but consumes 15 - should it be opposite?
- can you stick with WW2 theme all black-white photos, not mixed with color ones?
- there is too little room for fighting in Europe on this map, although map covers all world
═══
There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

1-I will check supply trucks, you´re probably right
2-Agree with you and I slow changing my mixed graphics to white and black ones, however, prototypes and what is if units will remain colored
3-This was a design decision to allow a global war. It would be possible to have different scales for each continent, but it will complicate map design and movement data.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I am seeing (i think) that the US is not getting involved before games are basically done with.

My questions to current GD 1938 players is this:

1). Is the US getting into the game too late
2). Should this be made so that they can enter earlier
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I think it is driven by player choice. I see more players unwilling to pay the 60PP per turn to accelerate entry.

More players seem to want a larger, more powerful US military, even if it means coming in later.

I am also worried about the USSR-Axis combos showing up, and I realize I sponsored the big one in Game 22 (experimental game 1). This gives a four vs. four that is a tough one for the GB-FR-US-CH players. As a game I think taking Barbarossa out of the picture is worrisome. I have seen games ("Road to Victory", "Time of Wrath", "Time of Fury") where Barbarossa happened, period. It could come earlier, but by Summer 1941 it was coming. Perhaps a victory condition shuffle might be in order to make Russo-German conflict more likely again.

GD1938 seems accelerated compared to the real time scale of WW2. Our wars start earlier, and we end earlier. I have never produced a Panther or Tiger.

Chuck
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Actually they are specified, in the Victory part of the briefing, that is accessible in the game. The exact one you have chosen is visible in the diplomatics section, under resources, the one called Victor, i believe.

Where in game are they located. The only place I can find them is in the opening of the game when you click
on start or edit. Since the game is already started I cannot see that screen.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

"I think it is driven by player choice. I see more players unwilling to pay the 60PP per turn to accelerate entry."

I tend to be in the willing to pay category after all what is the point of a USA that cannot intercede, no point in having a large military if you come into the war to late to use it, beside if you are also playing China the quicker you get into the war the quicker you can help one of the powers you are playing China. Also I don't remember the USA having a war on its own soil.

Regards victory a player victory should not end the game, only a Axis Communist or Allied victory should end the game, this is a global conflict and only a global outcome should decide the end of the war.

The Germans and Soviets are aware of how much a Soviet German war benefits the Western Allies, it sucks huge resources out of these potentially powerful states, and should not in any way be considered a certainty to happen, after all I don't feel I have to much in common with AH so his predilections should not be forced on a German player.

China is a interesting nation and certainly has the potential to have a foot in either the Communist camp or the Democratic camp, a card allowing a Chinese player to make a one time decision to join either Communist or Democratic factions.

Regards the Soviet they should be the wild card, the Western democracies and the Fascist's are never going to get along. So is the Soviet Union ever going to be a true Allied player, truth is it was never the case the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" so you could argue that there should be three factions and only one victor, Communist Western Democracies or Fascist. May be a idea to forbid Fascist Democracy alliances but allow the Soviets to ally with either side.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

Khanti

Post by Khanti »

Just wonder why infantry gun has 15 stack points and mortars only 1. It looks like 15 mortars do job better than 1 infantry gun.
I see coastal guns also have 15 stack points, but these are BIG guns, not infantry support.
═══
There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

With only one factory a year it should allow the PP to pay for early entry. Still not sure I support the US only being allowed one factory a year it really curtails their production options.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: LJBurstyn
ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz
Where in game are they located. The only place I can find them is in the opening of the game when you click
on start or edit. Since the game is already started I cannot see that screen.
If you want to read the choices again, they are in the statistics part of the game, under Brief. There you can read the entire briefiing again.

If you want to see the choice you made, later in the game for instance, go to the Strategic Info (f1), and there select you own country, and select resources, it should read: Victor and then a number, which is the one you chose.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Hanti
Just wonder why infantry gun has 15 stack points and mortars only 1. It looks like 15 mortars do job better than 1 infantry gun.
I see coastal guns also have 15 stack points, but these are BIG guns, not infantry support.

Yes, seems alittle too excessive to have 15 stack points compared to just 1. I´ll have Bombur look at it. Maybe he made a mistake, if he did it will be corrected.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes
With only one factory a year it should allow the PP to pay for early entry. Still not sure I support the US only being allowed one factory a year it really curtails their production options.

I still think the US has alot more ways to increase their production. Most of them are even more cost effective than a factory. So for now I won´t change it. In all honesty I wanted to remove factories completely from the game, but Bombur got me to keep some. So I changed it to just 1 pr. year (on average).
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Thanks for your inputs Chuck and Tom.

I am still digesting what you have written.

I can tell you one thing though. Before the victory conditions were made the way they are now, and people had a free time deciding what they wanted to do, the USSR and Germany were best buddies in most games. We thought that to be something we wanted to correct. The victory conditions were made so that they always almost come into conflict now...

But other mechanisms might be needed to do that instead...
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

Bombur, please look at this:
updated graphics
I did little update for units graphics. This file contains some suggestions for units pictures. Some are just 1 suggestion, some 2 or 3. You will be able to choose right pictures I think. All are black-white. Names of files are exactly the same as in XX century folder, although pictures sometimes show different piece of equipment (more suitable in my opinion).

Attachments
Bf109EJabo.jpg
Bf109EJabo.jpg (6.99 KiB) Viewed 410 times
═══

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”