No Ammo

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Harrybanana

No Ammo

Post by Harrybanana »

Playing the 43 Campaign as the WA against the AI. I am on turn 10 and have captured several airbases in Sicily and mainland Italy. For captured airbases I understand that it is a good idea to change the maximum TOE from auto to 70 before rebasing any airgroups there. I further understand that it may take a few turns for the airbase to gain the necessary support (both regular and air), supplies, fuel and ammo to make it usable. I thought the big problem would be getting the air support. But in fact the biggest problem is getting ammo. I currently have 5 airbases I would like to transfer airgroups to that have enough of everything except ammo. Is it necessary to actually transfer an airgroup to a new base before it will get ammo?
Robert Harris
Helpless

RE: No Ammo

Post by Helpless »

Air base doesn't generate proper request for the ammo/fuel unless you have some air group in there. Air base resupply happens during maintenance sub-phases of air execution, so if you have enough freights nearby your groups should be flying in following air execution.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

A good example is Trapani that has now gone several turns without getting any ammo.

Attachments
NoAmmo.jpg
NoAmmo.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 21 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Air base doesn't generate proper request for the ammo/fuel unless you have some air group in there. Air base resupply happens during maintenance sub-phases of air execution, so if you have enough freights nearby your groups should be flying in following air execution.

So if I understand you correctly: my spits rebase to a new airbase eager to engage the Luftwaffe only to be told by the ground crew (who have been at the base for a week or more getting it ready) "Sorry guys we have plenty of fuel, mechanics and all that but we forgot to order the bullets, but hey they should be here next week."
Robert Harris
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

So if I understand you correctly:

No, you understood it incorrectly.
Pavel Zagzin
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Air base resupply happens during maintenance sub-phases of air execution, so if you have enough freights nearby your groups should be flying in following air execution.

So if I rebase to an airfield near the frontline in which I have air support, but no ammo, I can expect if there is freight in nearby depots that I will get supplies on days 2-7?

I've taken the habit of trying to leave a Stab or other scrub unit in an airfield that I might want to forward base in just so it will get ammo and I don't see the 'no ammo' or 'no fuel' message when trying to create an Air Directive.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Okay, that is not so bad then.
Robert Harris
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

So if I rebase to an airfield near the frontline in which I have air support, but no ammo, I can expect if there is freight in nearby depots that I will get supplies on days 2-7?

Yes, it needs at least one maintenance phase to happen.
Pavel Zagzin

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”