Game-breaker mechanic ends my game

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Siddham

Game-breaker mechanic ends my game

Post by Siddham »

My first serious game of DW has just ended because my main planet just became a new empire and all I have now is a small colony in the same system.

This means my game is over.
I cannot maintain my fleets or anything on the basis of a small low quality colony with 1 bil pop.

Basically something in the AI has just taken my game away from me.

Is this daft mechanic linked to anything that can be disabled at game start?

Until I know what this is and how to negate it I cannot play another game of Distant Worlds
I hope you understand; It would be pointless
To build up carefully as I have and then lose the lot in this way is bollocks

As I said, game-breaker and deal-breaker

(ps I have the beta patch)
Retreat1970

RE: Game-breaker mechanic ends my game

Post by Retreat1970 »

Overthrow events happen. In a hundred games I've seen it happen a few times. Depends on your government type. The editor is your friend if you choose to use it.
Seraph86

Post by Seraph86 »

haha lol...x'D ...had to laugh so hard...i am really sorry. oh boy, that reminds me of one of my first games with distant worlds (only with 1st expansion pack back then). i chose democrazy, stayed too long in a war / made one of my bigger (2nd biggest i think) colony quite unhappy and they rebelled...became independant and later on their own empire. THEN they went to war with me and kicked my butt! DW:U is unique and one of a kind, pretty much the only game where one of your own colonies can destroy you (literally). enjoy the game, it is not gamebreaking, you just have to cope with the mechanics and learn the game before you can successive^^. don't get so angry about a feature which adds depth and even better...ENTERTAINMENT!
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I have played a fair few games, building up rather serious empires, and I have never seen a colony overthrow event. Then again, my colonies are never suffering from negative happiness and that just might have something to do with it, if the help files are to be believed.

And after running head first into a catastrophic earthquake (as I recall), I also don't play with "disasters and other events" activated. I don't know if that has anything to do with race overthrow events, though.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Yeah, the empire split event hurts, but...there is no but, it just hurts. [:D]

It is preventable however, and it all depends on colony happiness. To fix the problem, lower the taxes, and end any wars you can; also make sure that the big colonies are well supplied with luxury goods. With the more peace loving races, you really have to pace yourself when going to war and keep an eye on the colonies. When you check the planet list and see more blue sad faces than gray neutral faces or start seeing red angry faces, its time to act.

Another thing that hurts is having a disaster on your home planet.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

It is probably unhappiness. It helps to pay attention if you are running manual taxes and "tax hard".

The game by default autosaves once in a while. This event, or a disaster on the capital in early game, should be 'legal' reasons to go back an autosave or two and try again.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Until I realised I was missing the "A House Divided" achievement, I didn't even know this could happen, after countless games. The only way I could get it to happen was by having unhappy planets for quite some time so as others have said it's very preventable. I would look at it another way siddham, now that you know the cause and how to prevent it: there is a challenge ahead to make a comeback after that setback ...
Siddham

Post by Siddham »

I guess I was in shock!
Having my little empire unceremoniously stolen from me like that
I can see now that you guys are probably right
I wasn’t taxing hard, but I was distracted by a war and not keeping an eye on the plebs
More bread and circuses methinks

Thanks for the replies [:)]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Speaking of having a disaster on the old home world...

I just went from +50k income to -200k income. Things just got...interesting. [X(]

I am playing through, I will recover from this. Might have to scrap a few ships to do it though.
Distant Worlds Fan

Siddham

Post by Siddham »

Ouch...how did that happen?

I decided to cheat and revert to a save from an hour before the disaster
I cant start over with a single mediocre planet and 1bil pop....surely
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Colossal Earthquake disaster event.

They're random, and if it does hit your home world, it has a big effect. However, this can not happen to you for the first 10 game years, but I've been playing this one a while.
Distant Worlds Fan

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”