[WAD] Unable to destroy runways and access points under 678.3

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

wild_Willie2

[WAD] Unable to destroy runways and access points under 678.3

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Hi there,

Hi there, I am playing the scenario “Operation brass drum” again under build 678.3 but under this build I am unable to destroy runway access points anymore (in order to suppress enemy airpower). I know there has been some ongoing discussion regarding runway repairs, but I am unable to find any notes in the 678.3 patch regarding any change in this regard.

In previous builds it took four to five TLAM hits to destroy an access point, but under 678.3 I ran tests with thirty hits but was unable to destroy access points, just damage them. The same goes for runways, 50 TLAM strikes and they are still operational.

I’ll attach the test scenario.

Gr.

W.
Attachments
TLANtestbrassdrum.zip
(83.76 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Dimitris

RE: Unable to destroy runways and access points under 678.3

Post by Dimitris »

This is correct. A facility with open-air aviation facilities (such as a runway, access point etc.) can never be completely eliminated unless it is consumed by a nuclear fireball (ie. a close-enough surface burst)

There is a difference, though, between "not eliminated" and "not affected". A 99%-damaged runway, for example, is only good for a small helo to take off and land.
p1t1o

Post by p1t1o »

I have a few follow-up questions if I may:

Are runways/taxiways/access points repaired over time?

If a 99% damaged runway is only good for small choppers, are there any other discrete effects? IE: How much damage before the runway cannot be used by heavy bombers or fighters?

What kind of bonus does the "penetrating" weapon feature give?

I bombed a runway yesterday with B2s and JDAMS - the weapons release planner told me that a salvo matching the targets "Missile Defence Value" was 8 JDAMs - is this the figure required for maximum damage?

Thanks!
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

Can we know a little more about runway degradation? Is a damaged runway essentially 'shortened' (ie 99% = helo) or does it effect air operations in other ways (longer time to launch or recover a/c, etc)? Thanks!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: p1t1o
Are runways/taxiways/access points repaired over time?
Yes.
If a 99% damaged runway is only good for small choppers, are there any other discrete effects? IE: How much damage before the runway cannot be used by heavy bombers or fighters?
Depends on the runway. A 10k-feet runway for very large aircraft will probably take pounding before being degraded to "only large or less" and below. OTOH a smaller runway may need significantly less damage before it stops being usable by big airframes.
What kind of bonus does the "penetrating" weapon feature give?
Better penetration against armored targets (incl. runways).
I bombed a runway yesterday with B2s and JDAMS - the weapons release planner told me that a salvo matching the targets "Missile Defence Value" was 8 JDAMs - is this the figure required for maximum damage?
It was what the crew decided to auto-allocate based on the target's characteristics, the presence of any other targets (if any) and the total allocation of any other weapons (if any). There are so many factors involved in auto-targeting & allocation that any attempt to "game" the process will likely be futile.

Which leads me to a general tip: Don't play with a calculator in hand. Fight the war, don't game the mechanics.

Thanks.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: Primarchx
Can we know a little more about runway degradation? Is a damaged runway essentially 'shortened' (ie 99% = helo) or does it effect air operations in other ways (longer time to launch or recover a/c, etc)? Thanks!
I'd have to check the code for an "authoritative" answer, but off the top of my head the time to "do air-op X" (transit, launch, recover, park etc.) depends on aircraft size and crew proficiency, not facility damage. The facility damage only affects the number & maximum size of the aircraft that can use it.

Return to “Tech Support”