[SCEN FAULT]"Neutral unit destroyed" events popping up when they shouldn't

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mimer

[SCEN FAULT]"Neutral unit destroyed" events popping up when they shouldn't

Post by Mimer »

I'm not sure if this is a scenario-related oddity/bug or a general one, but in several different scenarios (most recently "Operation Lawful Avenger") I keep getting "Neutral unit destroyed" events, and being docked points as if though I'm the guilty party, even though I've done nothing of the sort.

This seems to come up after I've played the scenario in question for quite a while, I've never seen it happen early on thus far.

Anyone else that's run into this problem?

Coiler12

RE: "Neutral unit destroyed" events popping up when they shouldn't

Post by Coiler12 »

Check the "losses/expenditures" screen to make sure that neutral units are indeed being destroyed (The events are triggered when a unit is destroyed, regardless of whether it was you, the opponent, or running out of fuel that brought it down). If that's the case, go into editor mode and watch without interfering to see what's the cause then post a commentary on the boards so that the scenario author can be notified.
Mimer

Post by Mimer »

I should probably should have been clearer; no neutral units have been destroyed according to the losses/expenditures screen, whether I run the game as normal or via editor.

The only non-hostile units that have been destroyed are one false contact and a lone unfortunate whale. Both those two belong to the "Nature" side rather than "Neutral".

Still, the event keeps firing at seemingly random intervals.

I'll try to run it again in the editor and see if it turns up again when it happens.
kaburke61

Post by kaburke61 »

ORIGINAL: Mimer

I should probably should have been clearer; no neutral units have been destroyed according to the losses/expenditures screen, whether I run the game as normal or via editor.

The only non-hostile units that have been destroyed are one false contact and a lone unfortunate whale. Both those two belong to the "Nature" side rather than "Neutral".

Still, the event keeps firing at seemingly random intervals.

I'll try to run it again in the editor and see if it turns up again when it happens.

I have seen something like this in one of the community scenarios I was playing. I think it was Andaman Sea Clash
(which looks to have been possibly fixed). Anyhow, what I noticed for a "Neutral ship destroyed" trigger was that
there was no "type" defined (set to "none"), and this was causing the trigger to fire when groups were disbanded
(destroyed?). I had fixed that to play it, and then it seemed to worked correctly. There was at least one other
time I saw this behavior, but it's been awhile, and I don't remember the scenario.
cf_dallas

Post by cf_dallas »

It was happening in one of the Battle Ocean scenarios, the author (mgellis) fixed it I believe. Not sure what was the cause.
Formerly cwemyss
Luidzi

Post by Luidzi »

I can confirm this behavior - same happens in scenario Salalah Station, 1986 - when disbanding groups of civillian aircrafts, it fires a "neutral kill" event. When I change target type to aircraft (from none) in the event trigger, it works correctly.
Mimer

Post by Mimer »

ORIGINAL: kaburke61
I have seen something like this in one of the community scenarios I was playing. I think it was Andaman Sea Clash
(which looks to have been possibly fixed). Anyhow, what I noticed for a "Neutral ship destroyed" trigger was that
there was no "type" defined (set to "none"), and this was causing the trigger to fire when groups were disbanded
(destroyed?). I had fixed that to play it, and then it seemed to worked correctly. There was at least one other
time I saw this behavior, but it's been awhile, and I don't remember the scenario.

Yep, the above seems to be where this particular Gremlin is hiding. I noticed the exact same thing in my current scenario (Operation Lawful Avenger, also authored by Mark Gellis). If I change the trigger, it seems to work fine. If left at "None", it fires every time a group/unit is eliminated, including enemies. It also seems to fire when neutral planes land at airports (probably due to the group they belong to being disbanded at that time), but not when I myself disband groups.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

In some scenarios, the Event is triggered when I did not specify if it was neutral plane or a neutral ship. I'm now building scenarios so the type of platform (ship, plane, etc.) is always specified even for the neutral side and that seems to be fixing the problem. (By the way, if you don't do this for a side that has armed platforms, you can gain/lose points multiple times because the game counts the weapons as well as the platforms.) I'm also going back and fixing it as shows up in other scenarios (in some, it does not seem to matter for some reason). I'll look at Lawful Avenger and, if need be, post an updated version.

Mimer

Post by Mimer »

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

In some scenarios, the Event is triggered when I did not specify if it was neutral plane or a neutral ship. I'm now building scenarios so the type of platform (ship, plane, etc.) is always specified even for the neutral side and that seems to be fixing the problem. (By the way, if you don't do this for a side that has armed platforms, you can gain/lose points multiple times because the game counts the weapons as well as the platforms.) I'm also going back and fixing it as shows up in other scenarios (in some, it does not seem to matter for some reason). I'll look at Lawful Avenger and, if need be, post an updated version.

Thanks!

I just want to mention that I really like your scenarios, I've been playing quite a few of them, which is why I noticed the oddity mentioned above.

Return to “Tech Support”