Windows 10 Compatability

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

tex_ka95

Windows 10 Compatability

Post by tex_ka95 »

Hello. Just wondering if you expect Command, War in the East and War in the West to be compatible with Windows 10?

What about other older games like the Close Combat series, TOAW, etc?

Thanks!

Erik
berto

RE: Windows 10 Compatability

Post by berto »

Microsoft has a good track record of retaining backward compatibility with older applications. (Arguably, this is a major cause of the OS' many problems. Life would be so much simpler for MS if they could make a clean break with the past.) Microsoft would shoot itself in the foot -- nay, blow off both feet and legs -- if they were to release a Windows 10 unable to play older games etc. The incomparably huge Windows software legacy -- why would MS turn their back on that, their strongest competitive advantage? Moreover, Windows 10 is a fix of sorts to the anti-tradition, anti-legacy, and much-reviled Windows 8. Gaming wise, Windows 10 should be more compatible than Windows 8, I should think.

Not an insider opinion, just my best guess.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I am running the Windows 10 Insider Preview and have not played a large number of games, but all I have tried have worked fine.

Chuck
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: tex_ka95

Hello. Just wondering if you expect Command, War in the East and War in the West to be compatible with Windows 10?

What about other older games like the Close Combat series, TOAW, etc?

Thanks!

Erik

I own every Matirx game and I have tried the majority and they all run just fine. I have lost the list of the ones I tested, it was 30-40. The ones you mentioned work fine.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
tex_ka95

Post by tex_ka95 »

Thanks everyone. I'm at a Microsoft conference right and the question just popped in my head. Learning a lot about Windows 10. Downloaded the preview and looking forward to checking it out and eventually rolling it out at work.

Hey berto, I'm in your home town. lol

-Erik
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Low graphic games should work just fine. It's all the higher graphics ones I'm worried about like CA's Total War series of games and old Combat Mission ones CMx1 and a few Paradox games like CKII and Europa IV. I know even the old CMx1 series has issues when Vista came out and was charging $5 for OS upgraded .exe files for both CMAK and CMBB. I hope not to see that happen again.

Return to “General Discussion”