Star Trek - Where No Man Has Gone Before - TOS Era

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

rjord2021

Star Trek - Where No Man Has Gone Before - TOS Era

Post by rjord2021 »

Hi all

A quick post to let you know that I have started work on an original series mod for Star Trek which is based shortly after Zefram Cochrane makes the first human warp flight and attracts the attention of the Vulcans for the first time.

The mod is called "Star Trek - Where No Man Has Gone Before" and the ships, alien races and characters will all be based in this period starting somewhere between 2053 and 2063....now changed to 2240 as 2053 was prior to the Enterprise TV series and is not part of this mod.

I have some progress screenshots of the mod already and will post them soon.

I am well under way in texturing the spaceships for the Federation, Romulans , Klingons and other races that will appear in the mod.

I will update the forum with my progress as frequently as I can.

This mod is a work in progress for Distant Worlds - Universe.

Roy

Attachments
TOS Trek L.. version.jpg
TOS Trek L.. version.jpg (188.94 KiB) Viewed 642 times
rjord2021

RE: Star Trek - Where No Man Has Gone Before - TOS Era

Post by rjord2021 »

One of the things I will look at is the appearance of the Klingons in the mod as the Klingon augment virus was released in 2154 and this virus effected millions of Klingons and resulted in them losing their forehead ridges and appearing more human in appearance as seen in TOS.

My understanding is that the Klingon High Council ordered fleets to annihilate planets with infected Klingons and those infected Klingons that survived became captains and crew members of front line starships and they were then seen during contact with the Federation in the TOS series.

The way I see it majority of the Klingons in the mod, if not all , will have the forehead ridges and I will look at individual Klingons shown as characters if they are included in the mod and were one of the millions infected by the virus.

Roy

rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The Borg are one of my favorites in the Trek Universe ......

However with their first appearance in Federation space being in 2365 with the eventual meeting of Enterprise-D under Captain Jean-Luc Picard some 300 years in the timeline after my mod I am going to leave the Borg in the Next Gen era and keep this mod a Borg Free zone....

However saying that..... a sequel to this mod bridging TOS and the TNG eras would certainly have the borg possibility.

Roy
mordachai

RE: Star Trek - The Alpha Quadrant Wars (Original Series Era ) Work in Progress for DW -Universe

Post by mordachai »

Awesome! A second ST mod! Looking forward to some screen-shots / dl / etc. :)
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Some of the alien races that will definitely be in the mod.

- Federation
- Vulcans
- Andorians
- The Gorn Alliance
- Klingons
- Orions
- Romulans
- Tholians

These are the races on my short list as these are the ones whose ships I am working on. I have added the Tholians to the list today as I should be able to work on enough different ships for them to get them in the mod.

Other races will be added to the list after I do more research on what ships they had available during this time period.

Roy
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

After much thought today I have decided that 2 of the characters from the original pilot "The Cage" will also be in the mod and one character prior to the pilot is very much active during the timeline of the mod.

The timeline of these characters are as follows and going back in time:

Kirk replaced Captain Christopher Pike and assumed command of the Enterprise in 2265 and we meet the rest of the crew in Spock, MCCoy, Uhuru, Scotty and Sulu.

Captain Christopher Pike is promoted to Fleet Captain and sometime in the next 2 years prior to 2267 he is injured with radiation burns and ends up in the wheelchair and is last seen in 2267 in the Menagerie Episode.Christopher Pike became captain of the Enterprise in 2251 after the first captain of the Enterprise (Captain Robert April) stepped down. Pike was captain of the Enterprise for 13 years and because of this he has an active role in this mod as he is around from 2251 through to 2267.

The first character I am adding to the mod apart from Christopher Pike is Doctor Phillip Boyce who was the doctor on board the Enterprise from 2246 to 2264. Some 18 years spent serving the first 2 captains of the Enterprise and my reason why Doctor Phillip Boyce is in the mod.

In 2242 Robert April was in charge of the construction of the Enterprise and in 2245 he assumed command as first captain of the Enterprise. He stepped down in 2251 and was promoted first to Commodore , then became an Admiral and then eventually an Ambassador.

Due to his importance to the Enterprise Captain Robert April is also a part of the mod. However as he was only seen in an animated episode of Trek I have had to makeup his character for this mod.

Below I have added my interpretation of Robert April based on his age as seen in the animated episode. I have also added Doctor Boyce to the picture below.

So the characters in this mod from before Kirks era are"
- Captain Robert April
- Doctor Phillip Boyce
- Captain Christopher Pike

Roy

Captain Robert April and Doctor Boyce
Attachments
Robert Apr.. version.jpg
Robert Apr.. version.jpg (44.85 KiB) Viewed 610 times
Cardassian_Union

RE: Star Trek - The Alpha Quadrant Wars (Original Series Era ) Work in Progress for DW -Universe

Post by Cardassian_Union »

Awesome! Like "Pre-TOS" Setting-Idea!
Are you planing a own StarTrek-Tech-Tree/Research-Tree/new Components in your Mod?
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Adding a Dilithium Mine

Additional work is being done on the dilithium mines in the mod and will be posted in a later post.

Roy

Attachments
dilithium mine.jpg
dilithium mine.jpg (97.68 KiB) Viewed 610 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The Romulan Bird of Prey as seen in Balance of Terror remastered episode now added.

Roy

Attachments
romulan bird of prey.jpg
romulan bird of prey.jpg (43.19 KiB) Viewed 608 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Number of characters added so far to the Federation

Command Division (gold shirts) - 59
Operations Division (various shirts) - 39
Science division ( blue shirts) - 37
Security Division (red shirts) - 19

total 154 characters for Federation

These characters are strictly limited to those who are wearing the uniforms seen in the Original Series and do not include characters seen only in the movies , TNG, Voyager, DS9 or Enterprise.

More characters are flagged to be added to the Federation ranks as suitable pictures are found.
Roy
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

The diffacult part is to collect images, names and their positions of the Klingons as they appeared on tv in the TOS.

At this stage I have 37 different Klingons with the appearance as shown below.

Not all of the Klingons at this time had their appearances changed by the Klingon augment virus but the appearance of Klingons Kang, Koloth. Kor, Korax and Kras mean I need enough of the infected Klingons to reflect what was happening in this era.

Klingons not effected by the virus will be appearing as scientists, leaders of the Klingon government etc. My understanding is that Klingons that were infected by the virus were either killed off or put on front line battleships.

(Edit : Now 63 Klingons similar in appearance to that shown below)
Roy

Attachments
The klingons.jpg
The klingons.jpg (119.28 KiB) Viewed 609 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Added to mod picture a Romulan Bird of Prey firing a torpedo at a new version of a Klingon D7

Roy
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I am also creating the music for the mod..... editing the original tracks with a variation of my own and extending the length of each track.

For example, the theme music for the mod does not have James T Kirk's voice in it as the mod is not about the Enterprise's 5 year mission. The original track was around a minute in size and I have extended it to 8 minutes and 35 seconds by adding selections of the music representing the Vulcan theme and then finishing off the music with a federation piece. I have not included the Vulcan battle music as it did not fit the rest of the music.

I have also created 2 other tracks for the mod including a 7 minute 25 version of the Klingon battle music from the beginning of the motion picture. This music is different than the movie soundtrack and its extended version fits well with the mod.

Attachments
Klingon Music.jpg
Klingon Music.jpg (212.02 KiB) Viewed 609 times
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Encouragement and praise from the popcorn gallery! :)
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

There is now a new threat to the Federation and this threat has now been added to my mod.

In the original Star Trek episode Space Seed Khan Noonien Singh and his crew were discovered by the Enterprise and by the end of the episode were left on the uninhabited world of Ceti Alpha V and then seen again 15 years later in the Wrath of Khan movie.

With this mod, it is assumed that Kirk and the Enterprise never stumbled upon the Botany Bay and the events of Space seed and Wrath of Khan never happened. Khan broke out from his life unit, or was released by a passing spaceship whose crew were eventually killed by Khan, woke up the rest of his crew and landed on another planet , settling it and growing a race of Augments with plans of ruling the galaxy.

Starting off with the SS Botany Bay as your first and only ship , you can play as the augments and expand across the quadrant... or you can play the Federation , the Klingons ,Romulans or other race and take on Khan and his Augment race and stop them ruling the galaxy.

Roy

Attachments
Khan Botany Bay.jpg
Khan Botany Bay.jpg (68.08 KiB) Viewed 608 times
rjord2021

RE: Star Trek - Star Trek - Where No Man Has Gone Before - TOS Era

Post by rjord2021 »

If you choose to play the Augments race or against them, I have a 15 minute version of the Khan theme that can be added to the mod music folder.

And as there are 3 different versions of Khan.... the original version, the 15 years older version and the one from the movie....... which one is in the mod?

Answer below

And since the Enterprise will not meet the Botany Bay, Lieutenant Marla McGivers will not join Khan and will remain in the Federation.

Roy

Attachments
Khan TOS.jpg
Khan TOS.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 608 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

You may be Assimilated !

I am playing around with the idea but it is possible that the Borg will make an appearance in this mod .... one of the races who are based further away from you so you do not meet them until later in the game.

Let me know if you want the Borg added to the mod.

Roy

Attachments
The Borg.jpg
The Borg.jpg (109.34 KiB) Viewed 608 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

EDIT: 17th May

After much thought I changed the story line as far as the Borg goes and no longer have a young Borg Queen in the TOS era but now have the Borg Queen we all know.

The story goes as follows:

Trelane , the retired general in a blue coat as seen in the episode The Squire of Gothos, was revealed in the novel Q-Squared to be a member of the Q Continuum. After Trelane's encounter with Kirk and the Enterprise resulting in the intervention by Trelane's parents, Trelane's anger with Kirk and the Federation grew and with encouragement from Q as his mentor resulted in Trelane wishing to bring chaos to the Federation.

With Q's help, Trelane removes the Borg Queen from 2378 just prior to the time when Captain Janeway infects the Queen with a neurolytic pathogen which subsequently killed the Queen . Trelane takes the Queen back to the year 2160.... the year before the the founding of the United Federation of Planets. Using his influence with the young Borg Queen, Trelane speeds up the Borgs march towards the Federation so that they would reach Federation space some time after 2165 instead of in 2365 when the Enterprise under Picard met the Borg 7000 light years from Federation space.

Trelane and Q's direct interference with the timeline is is how the Borg could theoretically exist in the Kirk era and for the Federation and other races to have a hope of defeating Borg cubes the Borg would need to be based as far as possible away from the race you are playing so you can build up your research , ships, weapons etc so you have a chance when you do meet the Borg later in the game.

The Borg defined herself as, "I am the beginning, the end, the one who is many. I am the Borg."

The Queen will appear as shown in the posts following.

If you play the mod with random races, you may be lucky enough never to meet the Borg....otherwise prepare for chaos.

Attachments
Borg Queen official.jpg
Borg Queen official.jpg (62.42 KiB) Viewed 609 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Borg Theme created for the mod 8 minutes 39 seconds.

Roy

Attachments
TOS Trek L.. version.jpg
TOS Trek L.. version.jpg (193.88 KiB) Viewed 611 times
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

You will be assimilated......

Attachments
signature.jpg
signature.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Return to “Design and Modding”