What classic wargame do you wish would be remade?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Orzel Bialy

RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade?

Post by Orzel Bialy »

Personally I think if you grew up playing the Squad Leader board games, you instantly loved SPWAW. From there it took off because of the immersion value of the game...different nations, different time periods, varying size of battles (quick small scenarios to large brain hurting ones...then the campaigns) and the ability to mod OoB's , build scenarios.

Frankly it had it all for a lot of people. [:)]
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

At the risk of sounding like a broken record...SSG's Decisive Battles!!! I would love to see Korsun Pocket updated to Kharkov's engine, with new counters and new, clear and clean graphics. Just a facelift if you will!!
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: davidshq

What wargame did you play at some point in the past and really wish would be redone?
Empire Deluxe

Empire Deluxe? where'd that come from? [:D]
From New World Computing in 1993. Say what you will, but I'd love Panzer Corps like remake of that.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Panzer Corps has a remake of Empire Deluxe?
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Jafele

Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin (CMBB) & Combat Mission Afrika korps (CMAK).

Combat Mission (CMx2 battle engine, the first being Combat Mission - Battle for Normandy released in December 2010) has replaced our beloved Combat Mission (Beyond Overload, Barbarossa to Berlin & Afrika Korps) going forward so I don't think we will see a remake.

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

SPWAW needs an update. It is still a very playable game but the grand old lady is over 12 years old. There are so many changes required that can only be addressed in code but the code is also very old and probably not easy to work with. The same game, written with new code and updated to overcome the variety of shortcomings will be a fantastic gift to the wargaming community.
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

I'd have to go with Steel Panthers.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

A really new Steel Panthers, being turn-based like the original, with very advanced graphics and ui would certainly be a great project.

My vote, however, would have to go to Age of Rifles. Of course, you would have to keep all the facing and formation mechanics but with updated graphics/ui (and especially sound). I wonder if Norm Koger could now be lured away from Sturmadler to make Age of Rifles II? That would be awesome.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Lovely.
ORIGINAL: wosung

Based on GG's last three or four designs a new Steel Panther's gonna have:

-counters representing every individual soldier,
-one yard hexes,
-logistics representing every single cartridge.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Lovely.
ORIGINAL: wosung

Based on GG's last three or four designs a new Steel Panther's gonna have:

-counters representing every individual soldier,
-one yard hexes,
-logistics representing every single cartridge.

I 2nd that lovely!![:)]
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Combat Mission (CMx2 battle engine, the first being Combat Mission - Battle for Normandy released in December 2010) has replaced our beloved Combat Mission (Beyond Overload, Barbarossa to Berlin & Afrika Korps) going forward so I don't think we will see a remake.

Patrick

Sad but true. [:(]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

The first series was so much better than the new. I don't like the sighting method at all. Little square counters of maybe there is something there. The old way was so much better. Most of the time I can't see anything happening at all. So much smoke from bombards and you have to zoom in to actually see anything. In the old series I could see everything easy and it was soooo much better. (sorry Wodin but I don't like the CMx2 engine at all)

Now back to our STEEL PANTHERS remake scheduled show.[&o]
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

The first series was so much better than the new. I don't like the sighting method at all. Little square counters of maybe there is something there. The old way was so much better. Most of the time I can't see anything happening at all. So much smoke from bombards and you have to zoom in to actually see anything. In the old series I could see everything easy and it was soooo much better. (sorry Wodin but I don't like the CMx2 engine at all)

Absolutely! CMX2 has become a shooter. Take a look to this thread: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/ ... ing-again/

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

CMx2 became a game for children. RTS and all that. But, it took so much away imho. Oh sure the graphics are nice enough when you can see something actually happening. I thought the old school graphics were fine myself. If they had just worked on the ai which is still quite braindead as the same ole tactics work in the CMx2 as in the first one.

But, at any rate this is a What classic wargame do you wish would be made.
I have a new one: War of the Lance! as well as STEEL PANTHERS. [&o]
wings7

Post by wings7 »

CMx2 became a game for children. RTS and all that.

You just love to insult gamers, when are you going to learn diplomacy?
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

when are you going to learn diplomacy?

Diplomacy a great suggestion for a remake of a classic wargame! [;)]
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

At least we have Panzer Command... [;)] By the way I can´t understand the reason why the PCO forum is usually empty.[&:]

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

when are you going to learn diplomacy?

Diplomacy a great suggestion for a remake of a classic wargame! [;)]

Yes, you are right...a classic game indeed! [:)]
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

CMx2 became a game for children. RTS and all that. But, it took so much away imho. Oh sure the graphics are nice enough when you can see something actually happening. I thought the old school graphics were fine myself. If they had just worked on the ai which is still quite braindead as the same ole tactics work in the CMx2 as in the first one.

Yeah it's really too bad you can't play CMx2 turn-based anymore ... oh wait
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

Yeah it's really too bad you can't play CMx2 turn-based anymore ... oh wait

Yeah and you see nothing in turn based just like in the RTS side. Just a bunch of square faded grey squares and question marks. This was not a problem in old school.

But enough about games that **(K an forward and onward about STEEL PANTHERS remake? Maybe Age of Rifles too?[&o] Afterall this is a thread about "What wargame would you like to see remade" I'd like to see CMx1 remade in its like where I can see something when I play. Some real action not just red tracers going off.

Return to “General Discussion”