PBEM and Version Changes Suggestion

Post requests for head to head play here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

kennonlightfoot

PBEM and Version Changes Suggestion

Post by kennonlightfoot »

I highly recommend that once you start a game in PBEM that you stick to one version of the game throughout. Otherwise, you will probably see odd things happens assuming the game even works. And, since you upgraded it will be impossible to determine whether it upgrade related or a bug.

My first suggestion is easy. Include the version name in the name you give your game. If your PBEM name is different from your Forum name it wouldn't hurt to include it as well. For example the following game name for a challenge:

kwhitehead(U)v101

The game tags on the scenario selection so you don't need that. I like to add the "(U)" so its clear which side I selected.

The second suggestion is more complex but allows you to upgrade the game and still keep and older version to play any ongoing games you started under the old version. It is also why having version number in the game name is so important. This method consists of making a copy of the game before upgrading to the next version. I haven't had a chance to test this but the procedure worked well in Beta where I had as many as five versions in play. Upgrades come often in Beta in PBEM games are slow by their nature. I don't recommend using the copy games for non-PBEM game files since the game uses a common pointer to were it saves games on your computer. In the case of PBEM the game file is on Matrix's servers so it doesn't cause a problem.

I install my games to a non "Program Files" folder since Windows creates so many problems for games in that folder. This may affect your ability to create a copy folder if you attempt to do it in the "Program Files" folder. Best way is to put the copy elsewhere. Anyway here is my procedure:

1. In Explorer open the Folder that you installed Band of Brothers into. The default name is "Matrix Games". On my computer the full path is "D:\Games\Matrix Games".
2. In this folder you will see the BaB install folder which is "Brother Against Brother". Right click on it and select from the drop down menu "Copy". Then right click on any open space in the Explorer window and select "Paste". It will create a new folder in the "Matrix" folder called "Brother Against Brother - Copy".
3. Rename this folder by selecting it with right click to open drop down menu and select "Rename".
4. I recommend giving it an easy name with the version number like "BaB v101".
5. Go into this new folder and find the file "BrotherVsBrother.exe", right click on it and select "Copy".
6. Now on your Windows desktop right click and select "Paste Shortcut".
7. Now you have a way to run the old version after you upgrade. I recommend renaming the shortcut something like "BaB v101" so you can tell what it will run.
8. Now you can upgrade the original game. Just use your original link to open the game so you get Matrix dialog that has the "Check for Updates" button. Click it and follow instructions. (In the case of the Beta 1.02 upgrade you have to download the file).

Now you have two versions of the game.

If you click on your original BaB shortcut you will get the Matrix dialog. When you click "Play" you will briefly see a splash screen with the version number in very hard to read white lettering in the upper right corner and it should now be "1.02".

If you click on the short cut you created for the old version it will not show the Matrix dialog screen but will immediately show the splash screen with version 1.01 in the upper right corner.

You can keep making version copies as long as new ones come out. I do recommend that once you no longer have an on going PBEM game with a version that you go to the folder you made the copy in and delete it. Also delete the short cut to it.

Unfortunately I found that you cannot run two copies of the game. Apparently, the game uses the system registry to access files within the install. This will cause various errors when incompatible versions are used.
For now the only solution is to include the version number in your game title so you can keep track of what games you are running under that revision and wait until you finish all games before installing a new version.
Kennon
zakblood

RE: PBEM and Version Changes Suggestion

Post by zakblood »

needs to be made into a sticky and great post as always m8
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

Thanks for the workaround [:)]
kennonlightfoot

Unfortunately, I found that having both version 1.01 and 1.04beta on the same computer caused both versions to fail. This is probably due to the game using the registry for accessing files within the install. The game is probably trying to run with files from both installs. For now I don't think it is possible to run multiple copies unless you have two computers so you can have separate installs. This will make beta testing particularly difficult for PBEM since I always have some games in play.
Kennon
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

No matter what or how good a game is, sure makes you have to at least consider waiting for official upgrades.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
kennonlightfoot

Problem is that with games like the full Manassas scenarios you are locked into a revision level until all your games under that revision are finished. Right now updates are coming in pretty fast so its a problem. Hopefully with time we will see longer between these updates.

I am on 1.04beta so I am rather reluctant to put out any challenges since I know there are problems that need fixing.
Kennon

Return to “Opponents Wanted”