Unhappy

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Empire101

Unhappy

Post by Empire101 »

So after nearly three years of playing an opponent ( who shall remain nameless ), I received an email today saying that he is throwing the towel in.

WHAT!?[:@]

This has made me very unhappy. We had reached 27 March 1943, and both sides still had everything to play for.

I was playing the Axis, he the Allied.

Now its all down the toilet.
Made me very dispirited and very wary about starting another.
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

oaltinyay

RE: Unhappy

Post by oaltinyay »

A similar thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago. It was April 1943 and first of my opponents left and then the second one also left 4-5 turns.

I must say however, both of my opponents had good reasons to leave so I hold nothing against them.

Then I started another campaign... addiction, u might say.

I wonder how your game was going ...

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

such a shame, 3 years is a long time
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Sgt. Horvath: Reiben, where's your BAR?
Pvt. Reiben: The bottom of the channel, sir, the b**** tried to drown me.
Sgt. Horvath: Find a replacement.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Looking at the score, he may have thrown in the towel because he was losing.

I know some people have found opponents willing to step in to replace someone who quit.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Unfortunately this happens all the time. There is nothing wrong with a game ceasing before the end, but I think both players should agree to it. I've had four games stop in '42, but both sides agreed that it was getting lopsided.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: Empire101

I believe this could be seen as a counter productive way of looking at the situation. Think of the experience you have gained and how much better/more effective you will be in your next game. It's always a good thing to grow. When one door closes, the next can open!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

That really sucks....

I had that happen regularly in games of CTGW when my opponent was losing (no explanation, no "sorry I quit" - they just disappeared) - and of course that game is nothing like the time commitment and effort you have put in here.

You are a better man than I - I got so fed up at one point (must have been about the 5th or 6th time it happened I named and shamed the person).....

I really feel your pain mate. [:(]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I believe this could be seen as a counter productive way of looking at the situation. Think of the experience you have gained and how much better/more effective you will be in your next game. It's always a good thing to grow. When one door closes, the next can open!

You are right of course!![:)] I have have just posted for a new opponent!!
ORIGINAL: That really sucks....

I had that happen regularly in games of CTGW when my opponent was losing (no explanation, no "sorry I quit" - they just disappeared) - and of course that game is nothing like the time commitment and effort you have put in here.

You are a better man than I - I got so fed up at one point (must have been about the 5th or 6th time it happened I named and shamed the person).....

I really feel your pain mate.

Warspite my old mate! Good to hear from you.
I totally agree. Its the time and commitment that is wasted.
Hey ho, onwards and upwards[:D]
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I saw your request for a new opponent after I posted to your thread. Glad to see you getting back into the saddle. If I were free (I have a game going and really can handle only one at a time!), I would take you on!
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I know some people have found opponents willing to step in to replace someone who quit.

Bill

To be fair, he had taken rather a hammering as you so rightly pointed out.

Allied CV's Sunk = 8

Japanese CV's sunk = 3

Allied BB's sunk = 12

Japanese BB's sunk = 0

The IJA were entering Northern India from Burma.

Chunking was about to fall after two months of siege.

After an initial push that recaptured Makin, Tarawa and Ocean, the Allies met with disaster at Kusaie, and what was left of the US 27th Inf Div and the 3rd Marine Div were being wiped out.

I had a good run. I can't really complain that much. And I learnt SO much, it was a great experience :)

Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I saw your request for a new opponent after I posted to your thread. Glad to see you getting back into the saddle. If I were free (I have a game going and really can handle only one at a time!), I would take you on!

Thanks for the consideration anyway [:)]

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Bill

Allied CV's Sunk = 8

Japanese CV's sunk = 3

Allied BB's sunk = 12

Japanese BB's sunk = 0

After an initial push that recaptured Makin, Tarawa and Ocean, the Allies met with disaster at Kusaie, and what was left of the US 27th Inf Div and the 3rd Marine Div were being wiped out.

I had a good run. I can't really complain that much. And I learnt SO much, it was a great experience :)

Well, he has been hurt but against any but the best Japanese players a good Allied player can take over this game and have a very good shot at winning. Losing the BBs sting but is not critical as the Allied surface fleet is so much better by 1944. Carrier losses are not extreme and American ground unit are very easy to rebuild. I just don't think your ex opponent realizes the total flood of resources that he is about to get. I suspect your opponent just feels that he is not good enough to take you on in the long term. Too bad as you learn the game the best when you are slightly in a hole. Hope you found a good opponent to take this one over. There is still a good game here.

I should add that the most important thing at this time is if he has lost a lot of APs and Aks that can be upgraded to APA and AKAs. This would hurt the Allies more than anything else.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
pelthunter

Post by pelthunter »

Seriously after seeing that score screen you should be thanking him profusely having stood up for that amount of abuse.

[:-]
I made exceptional effort to understand why one would try to deny existing fact and disclaim well documented history. I failed.
Malagant

Post by Malagant »

I can't imagine that happening after that many years. I just had something similar happen after just a few months and felt the pain quite a bit. Best of luck in your new game!
"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Bill

Allied CV's Sunk = 8

Japanese CV's sunk = 3

Allied BB's sunk = 12

Japanese BB's sunk = 0

Well, he has been hurt but against any but the best Japanese players a good Allied player can take over this game and have a very good shot at winning. Losing the BBs sting but is not critical as the Allied surface fleet is so much better by 1944. Carrier losses are not extreme and American ground unit are very easy to rebuild. I just don't think your ex opponent realizes the total flood of resources that he is about to get. I suspect your opponent just feels that he is not good enough to take you on in the long term. Too bad as you learn the game the best when you are slightly in a hole. Hope you found a good opponent to take this one over. There is still a good game here.

I should add that the most important thing at this time is if he has lost a lot of APs and Aks that can be upgraded to APA and AKAs. This would hurt the Allies more than anything else.

I can speak from experience here, and back that up [:D]. The BB losses are also concerning, but even with 8 CVs lost a prospective opponent should be able to establish air cover for invasions and find other ways of getting things done (well, LBA). It's not impossible, but definitely challenging. Particularly with so few IJA VPs lost (960!!!) and Chungking hasn't even fallen with that VP ratio... The loss of Chungking would put this back in the realm of autovictory in 1944 for the IJA, especially in case of another Allied naval disaster, unless the Allies could make serious progress in terms of attrition.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

The Allies can probably recover yes. But it will probably be messy and very much a grind doing base hopping under LBA until mid to late 44. Lots of patience required. [:)]

Loosing the 2 IDs and all those BBs certainly doesn´t help either. And as Loka says Japanese AV would be very hard to avoid.

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Yeah it is sad to see them go, after looking at the score board, realize he is losing badly and that one reason he left. Wish there an options incase the player leave, get the password and let the pc/AI handle the rest.
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Thanks for all the comments guys, its really much appreciated.

I was certainly peeved this morning when I received the email, but reading your comments and knowing that many of you have had the same experiences has rejuvenated my resolve to restart.

I've had some encouraging PMs and a few enquiries about a new game, so watch this space!!

Now I have to steel myself for that first few turns of set up.......AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!![:D]

mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Thanks for all the comments guys, its really much appreciated.

I was certainly peeved this morning when I received the email, but reading your comments and knowing that many of you have had the same experiences has rejuvenated my resolve to restart.

I've had some encouraging PMs and a few enquiries about a new game, so watch this space!!

Now I have to steel myself for that first few turns of set up.......AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!![:D]

I'm sympathetic to your opponent, to an extent.

It is a game. If both players aren't having fun, what's the point?

Every player has his own idea of fun, evidently your opponent didn't think the challenge of bringing about an Allied victory would be much fun for him. You've just got you make sure your opponents idea of fun is the same as yours.

At the end of the day, you can't really blame anyone for not wanting to dedicate years into a game that they won't enjoy.

As a side note, I absolutely love the first turn set-up, especially as Japan.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”