PBEM problem

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

AlessandroD

PBEM problem

Post by AlessandroD »

Hello,

today is the forth time in a row that I try to play a PBEM turn (always the same), after plotted my movements when I click "End of Turn" the game crashed, it happens from beta patch upgrade.

My opponent made the upgrade as well.

Translation: BaB has stopped working.

Attachments
errore.jpg
errore.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 171 times
AlessandroD

RE: PBEM problem

Post by AlessandroD »

Here my DxDiag.

Do you need more info?
Attachments
DxDiagRedComet.txt
(73 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

I have tried to play against AI but it is not working as well, playing the tutorial I got the same error after turn 2, i.e. always I hit end turn. (played twice).
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

have tried to play against AI but it is not working as well, playing the tutorial

in single player, can you upload the save game here as well your having a issue with in your 3rd post, can't do online but staff can look at that one when there back here.

do you have any windows event viewer logs as well? with any windows errors in them, look for BAB or any errors logged etc

as i can't speak Italian etc, but these posted below are my thoughts and ideas to look at Erik / Gil...
Simbolo analisi:

Nuova ricerca di soluzioni: 0

ID rapporto: f430bae0-edd7-11e4-be9c-8c89a5c12649

Stato rapporto: 0

Bucket con hash: 9727a0379ff1cbebd446553b53260327
+++ WER4 +++:
Bucket errato 74119687041, tipo 1

Nome evento: APPCRASH

Risposta: Non disponibile

ID CAB: 0

Firma problema:

P1: BrotherVsBrother.exe

P2: 0.8.1.0

P3: 55393e29

P4: BrotherVsBrother.exe

P5: 0.8.1.0

P6: 55393e29

P7: c0000005

P8: 001ac534

P9:

P10:

and all these below this,

ericbabe or Gil or Erik will i'm sure get to the bottom of it, my drx report doesn't look or read like it, it's blank where your has BAB errors, so is pointing to something, i just can't read what it says tbh and google doesn't help much with lines and pages either
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

Thanks Zakblood for your help.

I reinstalled the game and played the PBEM turn right now, no success.

Here my DXDiag updated.

Translation:
+++ WER9 +++:
Bucket errato = Fault bucket

Nome evento = Event Name

Risposta: Non disponibile = Response: Not available

Firma problema = Problem signature

File allegati = File attached

I file potrebbero essere disponibili qui = Files can be available here

Simbolo analisi = Symbol Analysis

Nuova ricerca di soluzioni = New solution search

ID rapporto = Report ID

Stato rapporto = Report status

Bucket con hash = Hash bucket

Now I'm going to try a solo game again.
Attachments
DxDiagRedComet2.txt
(73.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

hopefully you will get a reply and response soon and good luck with it, i'm sure or hope it will be something simple and look forward to reading it also[;)]
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

Update:

thanks to Zakblood that has been so kind to play some quick turns of a game test, I noticed the following things:

- if I start a brand new game with the beta patch everything is fine (we played 5 turns without problems).

- I tryed to play my PBEM game with the previous version (1.01) but it crashed anyway

It seems that updating a game started with the previous version BaB crashes on my pc.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

It does seem that being unable to continue pbem games is a common problem with many games whenever an update is made.

Depending what is changed, added or deleted apparently can create the "conflict" that makes it that way. I've noticed this on updates posted for other games many time. I certainly learned with each change that often you lose your ability to play saved games. I'm not a computer programmer of any type so I figure things in a simple way I know. I sort of assume that as the turn plays (or ends) it is looking for something it can't find or perhaps finding something it can't use.

Hopefully we will soon see a much better and correct answer than my simple speculative guess.

I'm sure it is easy when doing updates to fix things to miss what may create incompatibility with the previous version. I'm sure that sometimes in order to improve or fix it is just something you have to accept. But it certainly would be nice if updates/patches could be made whenever possible to be compatible with both saved and pbem games. It can be quite frustrating to have a lot of time and effort into a game and end up losing it before you can complete it.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

It can be quite frustrating to have a lot of time and effort into a game and end up losing it before you can complete it.

Especially if you are writing an AAR too [:(]

Anyhow lesson learned, never upgrade an ongoing game anymore.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

sorry to hear that RedComet, but it does seem to be a issue etc with it, as it doesn't seem to recognize the beta version either as when i tried it, it told me to update to a later version, which i already was using date and number wise that the one it was telling me to upgrade to[:(]

but once on the same version, there shouldn't be a issue, unless you both are using the beta and a old game, new games it wont matter as long as you both start i guess on the same numbered version
Clinchrifles

Post by Clinchrifles »

Red, sorry about this. I honestly have not looked at your aar yet. If you wanna go again with 1.02 or maybe we wait for a non beta patch. Up to you. I will refrain from reading the aar until we finish.
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

ORIGINAL: Clinchrifles

Red, sorry about this. I honestly have not looked at your aar yet. If you wanna go again with 1.02 or maybe we wait for a non beta patch. Up to you. I will refrain from reading the aar until we finish.

I prefer to wait a dev response because, to be honest, I don't want to replay the game if I'm not forced to do.

In the meantime we can wait the official patch and play something else, what do you think?
Clinchrifles

Post by Clinchrifles »

Sounds good
kennonlightfoot

Post by kennonlightfoot »

My recommendation for all PBEM games is never change the version you are using in an ongoing game. While not simple it isn't difficult to keep multiple versions of the game on your computer. Mark the scenarios by including the version number in the name. If a new version of the game comes out while you are still playing and you can't wait to upgrade make a copy of the game files tagging them with a version number and then upgrade. Continue the PBEM games using the version the game was started under.
Kennon
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with the update. Would you mind posting the name of your PBEM game that's crashing and I will download the save file and take a look at it.
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

Of course, game name: "AlevsRyanONLY", 1st Manassas standard scenario. Turn 4
Let me know if you need more info, thanks.
kennonlightfoot

Post by kennonlightfoot »

Seems there are a lot of problems under v1.01 when playing PBEM. I have had the last two games, one I started and one was someone else's challenge, corrupt on the first attempt to do a turn. I have also been having errors whenever a game challenge is started. The site indicates the game was started okay but when I leave and return to my game screen it looks like this:

Attachments
PBEMerror.jpg
PBEMerror.jpg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Kennon
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Yeah kind of a hassle, you may find the buttons still work if you can remember what they are.

Also what I usually do is exit, reopen and all is ok.

When testing you pretty much have to deal with beta versions on a regular and often short time frame basis. However I have often felt that once you have a game, waiting for the beta version to become official can help reduce some of the problems that occur. The Beta that is there to fix/improve things may very well have some things of it's own that need to be fixed. This is certainly not unique to this game, I see it on all games. Either way frequent changes are nice for moving game issues/improvements but can make it difficult for pbem and even saved games against the AI.

Being unable to finish games you started and were enjoying is frustrating. On the bright side a company doing everything they can to improve the game and satisfy customers is commendable.

Edit added: Kennon is about the best at dealing with version changes. He was great at keeping multiple versions available to play. I on the other hand am not that talented so I tend to keep things as easy for me as I can. Likewise I'm impressed by modders, but I have no desire to do so myself. I just want to play what comes out of the box so to speak and add the improvements as they become available.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

We will investigate these PBEM issues as a priority on Monday. PBEM was working fine and I'm sure it will be again.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: kwhitehead
Seems there are a lot of problems under v1.01 when playing PBEM. I have had the last two games, one I started and one was someone else's challenge, corrupt on the first attempt to do a turn. I have also been having errors whenever a game challenge is started. The site indicates the game was started okay but when I leave and return to my game screen it looks like this:

I did fix several problems like this for V1.0.2. Is this happening with the newer build in any cases you know of?

Return to “Tech Support”