Totally OT...for our Forum 'Nam Vets

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Big B

Totally OT...for our Forum 'Nam Vets

Post by Big B »

I missed (is that the right expression? I sure didn't want to go there) Vietnam by a year or two (draft age in 1974)
But - it was an ever-present growing up.

So some Vietnam Era Music...
ccr run through the jungle
yellow river Christie 1970
Sky Pilot
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Heat Wav 1965
And YES - I still ride a Harely Pan-Head.....Do YOU remember?

BattleMoose

RE: Totally OT...for our Forum 'Nam Vets

Post by BattleMoose »

I always though Yellow River was for the Yalu River in the Korean war?

Although closer inspection of the lyrics, that really wouldn't make sense.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Memories...
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Actually we liked "We Got To Get Out Of This Place"...Eric Burden And The Animals............

We also liked putting our own words to songs..

To the tune of "MTA"

Now did ya' ever hear the story of a Cong named Charlie on that tragic and fateful day?
Put ten rounds in his pocket, kissed his wife goodbye and went off to fight the U.S.A..
But did he ever return"
No, he never returned, from that tragic and fateful day!
He's the Cong named Charlie,on those trackless jungles, he's the Cong who will never return..

Now you folks down round An Khe way aren't you glad the First Cav came to stay?
Cuz thee Cong named Charlie....met his tragic and fateful ,day..

(This song referred to the days of the "Vietnamization programs" where we were eliminating the problems of Cong coming into small villages, killing local teachers, gov't folks, and general good guys..

(Thank God for spellcheck........)

BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Leaving on a jet plane was always popular, especially the night before leaving on a jet plane.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I got off the coast in 1974, as it was almost all over... sad. I say "the boat people" fleeing....

To me, The Doors and "this is the end my friend" (I think that's the title) is the symbol, musically speaking, of Vietnam.
Symon

Post by Symon »

1969-1970. "We Gotta get Outa This Place" definitely. "Bad Moon Rising", "Honky Tonk Women", "Mama Told Me Not to Come", and anything by the Doors. Remember trying to play 45s on the FB's pa system after somebody lost the 45 spindle insert? [:D]
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Symon

1969-1970. "We Gotta get Outa This Place" definitely. "Bad Moon Rising", "Honky Tonk Women", "Mama Told Me Not to Come", and anything by the Doors. Remember trying to play 45s on the FB's pa system after somebody lost the 45 spindle insert? [:D]
No better bottle opener than an M1911a1..(San Miguel of course)..From the Philippines)

Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: m10bob
No better bottle opener than an M1911a1..(San Miguel of course)..From the Philippines)
OMG, somebody who really has been there and done that. Bob, there's not too many of us left, so you and I have to get together. I would consider it a privilege to stand you to a Scotch, or a Bourbon, or a Pinot, and just sit and talk.

And what were you doing with San Miguel? The best we could ever do was Schlitz; we did get a couple cases of Shaefers once, and a friendly chopper pilot dropped off a few sixes of Big Cat malt liquor, once. But damn, it took time in Saigon to get a taste of the good stuff. Ciao. John
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
reg113

Post by reg113 »

I 'member all them songs and 2 peso San Magoo in Oolongopoo...
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Subic Bay. San Miguel was a favorite in the merchant marine. Brewed in may places but the Philippine brew was considered superior.

Vetnam songs. I would say "Fortunate Son" by CCR. "I ain't no senator's son"
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I just this week got finished reading "Embers of War" which won the Pulitzer Prize. This recent book covers the French and American experience in Indo China from 1945 up til 1960. I would rate it five stars and a must if you want to understand the groundwork for our involvement in this crucial event in America's history. I would call it very objective and really filled a lot of gaps for me. Amazing how hostile French and US relations were during this whole time period. Talk about uncomfortable bed fellows...
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

Here are some photos of the Vietnam War.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/vie ... HP#image=1

spence

Post by spence »

In retrospect I guess I am glad I never went there but as I went through the USCGA it was clear that that was the way to rapid promotion. 26 little cutters and 5 big ones on station for the Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club. Just like WW2 nobody knows they were there.
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

So I looked up the Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club and found this website:

http://www.purelocal.com/landing.aspx?s ... 629dd&vx=0
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Thanks for those who served. There was some great music during that time frame.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

We watched the Navy Seal movie a while back. One of the lines really stuck with me. One of the Seals was talking about his father. His father told him that the think he hated about getting old was that he (the father) 'was no longer a dangerous man'.

I think that line applies to many here as well. I am considered a 'Nam vet even though I never was 'in country'. I am authorized to wear the campaign ribbon but don't simple because I feel it is like a participant trophy. "Hey. You were never within a 1,000 miles of the place but here is a ribbon you can wear." [8|]

Also in case any one has missed it no one is a 'Nam vet any more. We are all now considered 'Protected Veterans' [X(]. I guess putting down you were in service during 'Nam was showing how old you were [:(]. Now I feel like a special building that has to be on a historical list [:D] " Look at me. I'm Protected." [;)]
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Also in case any one has missed it no one is a 'Nam vet any more. We are all now considered 'Protected Veterans' [X(]. I guess putting down you were in service during 'Nam was showing how old you were [:(]. Now I feel like a special building that has to be on a historical list [:D] " Look at me. I'm Protected." [;)]

Choices at my work (and we make stuff for the military)

Disabled Veteran: (A) A veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, or (B) a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.

Armed Forces Service Medal Veteran: Any veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order No. 12985 (61 FR 1209).

Active Duty Wartime or Campaign Badge Veteran: A veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized, under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
Listing of military engagements covered by this category

Recently Separated Veteran: Any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
Enter Discharge or Release Date: (mm/dd/yyyy)

You can pick more than one. When I started I was three (not disabled), no longer 'recently separated'
Bill Goin

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”