COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE.

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

kirk23

RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE.

Post by kirk23 »

Arad renamed Craiova.( For any name to appear on the map you also need to change it in the Language file )

I will add ARAD above Craiova on the map so that it will be an Romanian fortress.

I have to go out for a couple of hours, I will continue trying to fix the in game locations on my return.[;)]
Attachments
AradrenamedCraiova.jpg
AradrenamedCraiova.jpg (146 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Make it so!
euroaron

Post by euroaron »

ah, i see... and i found arad related event in the game_events.lua, will it not cause any problem?
i cannot see the new hungarian fort arad in the picture attached, i just hope you placed it well... (why is it a fort anyway?)

hereby you can find some more interesting events of the great war:
- the introduce of the conscription in britain
- the war movie the battle of the somme in the british cinemas
- the cold winter of 1916-1917
- bochkareva's 1st russian women's battalion of death
- women in war work

and for a while that's all from me. let me express my true admiration about the game. it is a pearl of the genre and unique processing this historical event in this scale. even in its present state full with question marks it is enjoyable for a beginner and makes the old gamers fly back to the middle of '90s, into the golden age of the hex based strategy games, and places a big smile on their faces. hats off!
i wish you all the best to finish this project! balance it well (real), put a simple but useful diplomacy in it (anyhow), improve the ai (it is a must), and give it a good end scene (pleasure)! make it perfect, make it the best!
i personally thank the inspiration i found here and the positive atmosphere of the forum.
hopefully i will feel like to return here. if there will be a new patch, for sure!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Altering Arad fortress map location does not cause any problems, all I have to do is alter the hex location info in the events data file.
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk question:

Did Romania have any forts worthy of placing on the map?

Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I'm looking at each Country in turn, to see if the game could benefit from any additional Fortresses etc.[;)]

Germany has a new fortress in the east Loetzen.

Attachments
German For..he east..jpg
German For..he east..jpg (76.34 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Arad fortress back on the map above Craiova

Attachments
Aradfortr..Craiova.jpg
Aradfortr..Craiova.jpg (274.23 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Having a fort in Romania makes a pre-emptive strike by CP difficult, which is OK.
operating

Post by operating »

Hi Kirk!

Is there another patch in the works? One that includes the recent hotfixes (have not downloaded them yet).

Curious, Bob
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

Kirk, could you consider making Belgium neutral and allowing the player the decision to attack them?
danielherr.github.io
AEWHistory

Post by AEWHistory »

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but has it been considered giving the Germans a fourth (edit: infantry) commander? Ludendorff is really sorely missing from the game and, IME, the Germans constantly suffer from huge areas without leadership. The allies, OTOH, don't really have this problem. Was Ludendorff excluded for a reason?

Thanks!
AdmiralSarek

Post by AdmiralSarek »

And make the British ones better, now way were they that bad, some of the Austrian ones were truly bad.

In the end it is about game balance, we want the CP to win half of the time.
Udet

Post by Udet »

Hi Kirk,
I like your decision concerning the Ruhr area. Thanks![;)]
Udet
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Hi, I have not been around on the forums for nearly 3 weeks, as I have been in hospital, with a hernia that developed fairly serious complications, as I needed an emergency operation to fix the problem, It will take me a few days to get back in the groove, the game still needs alot of work done to it before I would consider it the finnished article, I personally have an number of things, I want to improve as to game play, I also have 2 or 3 new Grand Campaigns, I would like to see added to the game, these would mainly be based on changing Country starting alignments, so that for example, you could have the war start with Austria V Serbia, but Germany,France,Britain & Russia would not get involved, until a few game turns had passed. This is just an idea at this stage.[;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Udet

Hi Kirk,
I like your decision concerning the Ruhr area. Thanks![;)]

Hi Udet, I felt something had to be done, to highlight the Ruhr areas importance to Germany, and I thought that the 3 City grouping was as good away as any for this purpose.[:)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: AEWHistory

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but has it been considered giving the Germans a fourth (edit: infantry) commander? Ludendorff is really sorely missing from the game and, IME, the Germans constantly suffer from huge areas without leadership. The allies, OTOH, don't really have this problem. Was Ludendorff excluded for a reason?

Thanks!

I think you will be delighted to hear that Ludendorff along with a great many other Commanders will be making long awaited appearances in the game, at the present time I think Germany will have 10 Generals at least by the time I'm finished adding more for all the Countrise in the game, not just the main ones.[:D]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Get well Kirk!

Been wondering why you have been MIA? Believe me! I know about hernias!

Take care! Bob [:)]
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Get well soon, Kirk. [:)]
Richard
Udet

Post by Udet »

Get well soon, Kirk!

Gaming ist fun, but gaming with a good health is more fun.
Udet
TripleCP

Post by TripleCP »

Hope you're feeling better, Kirk.

What do you think about beefing up the PP of Russia's westernmost cities (and Trans-Caucasus cities like Tiflis and Baku) at the expense of its deep interior cities?

1) Russia's western regions were the most economically developed (proportionally even more the case with regard to the Russian Empire than of the Soviet Union).
2) Also, the underdeveloped Russian road and rail networks made cities located close to front lines all the more critical to its war effort (the Russian army's supply problems had less to do with low production of war materiel than it did with the inability to transport it to the front).
3) Finally, although pre-war German military doctrine argued that mounting a major invasion of Russian territory would be almost pointless given the distances to Moscow and Petrograd, von Hindenburg and Ludendorff argued for occupying Russia's frontier provinces and transforming them into German protectorates/economic colonies.

In the game's current state, there really are not many reasons for the Central Powers to go on the offensive in the East beyond seizing Warsaw and establishing a static front line from Koenigsberg to Lemberg. Nor is there a major reason for the Russians to suffer heavy losses defending their western territories as was the case historically. Increasing the potential gains/losses to controlling the Russian Empire's border regions would change this.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”