Setting and or making formations

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

DDG13

Setting and or making formations

Post by DDG13 »

I am somewhat confused on to how to keep a formation for ships. I know how to created groups but am not sure as to how to "keep" ships in formation when turning or making coarse adjustments. Can someone point me in the right direction. [:)]

I want to set formations as in ASW picket, Flag.. AAW picket... To keep the bearings relative to the group lead.
I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.

John Paul Jones
thewood1

RE: Setting and or making formations

Post by thewood1 »

First off...a 30 second search brought forth at least one detailed discussion on this very topic...go to Search, enter formation, choose the command forum, hit enter.

Second...page 56 in the manual gives a rough overview. Also look in the appendix for some updates.
DDG13

Post by DDG13 »

I did not mean group ship configurations. Actual steaming, underway formations.... How to keep the ships in formation. I have created groups and set group lead and have even found "ship station" but they are not where I want the ship to be...
I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.

John Paul Jones
Kushan04

Post by Kushan04 »

Different units within the same group cannot me assigned to different missions. One way to handle is to handle it is to have missions which rely on reference points that rotate around the flag unit. Works well for An ASW screen. AAW pickets I would leave as part of the main group.
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

Select the group you want, hit F4, then click each unit and assign it a new station.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

If you read through a couple of those threads, it is discussed, if I understand what you are looking for. There are settings and configurations that drive how ships stay in formation.
DDG13

Post by DDG13 »

Page 56 works well. Got it! Thank you but... Now that I understand that is there a way to set a course for the group at the initial start of the scenario. All units start at bearing 0 degrees but I want the group to be in formation steaming at 270... Not finding that if there is a setting for that and yes, I used the search function.

John Paul Jones
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

DDG

No, there is no setting for that. When building a scenario you need to do the following:

A) do the ships first, group them, set formation, course & speed. Than run the scenario until things are all pointed the right way. Stop the run, reset the time and build the rest

OR

B) As often happens you already have other stuff set up. In that case, EXPORT your ship group. Set up a blank scenario. IMPORT your ship group, do the game run. Export it again, import it back into your original scenario.

Not in the manual but its a trick that works.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”