Scenario editor copyright information for Harpoon 97

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Phobosdeimos71

Scenario editor copyright information for Harpoon 97

Post by Phobosdeimos71 »

Hello

I have installed my old copy of Harpoon Classic 97 on Linux and I'm creating the old scenarios for Command.The first scenario is called Vengeance and is

set in the year 2000. I was wondering as I create these scenarios where I should place the following information in the scenario editor?

It was created by the following

Harpoon Rules by Larry Bond
Published by the Game Designers Workshop

Harpoon Classic Scenario Editor for Windows verions 1.55c copyright 11994 by
Applied Computing Services Inc
Portions copyright 1994 by Alliance Interactive Inc.
Published by Alliance Interactive Software Inc

Computer Harpoon design team.
Larry Bond, Don Gilman, Leslie Hill, Becky McGuire,
Mike Jones, Gordon Walton, Rob Brannon, Scott Kronce

Version 1.3 Design and Development team
Mike Steele, Bill Hause, Thom Robertson, Darrel Daring

Windows Version Programmed by John Keene
Windows Help by Jim Masterson

Artwork by Dale and Jimmie Homburg of electric paintbrush and Rick Lenz

Thank-you

Phobos
mikmykWS

RE: Scenario editor copyright information for Harpoon 97

Post by mikmykWS »

We don't make the rules but this is probably a good ideabif you're going to distribute.

Mike
djoos5

Post by djoos5 »

Just put at the end of the scenarios description.
Patmanaut

Post by Patmanaut »

Hi:
I remember I had the old GDW cardboard Harpoon. I would like to recreate an scenario from that game called "Between Ascención and San Carlos".
Are there any copyrights issues if I do so, or just by giving the due credit in the brief is ok?

Thank you

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php would probably be a good place to post any questions about Harpoon, how converted scenarios should be credited, if anyone is going to get mad at you for doing this, etc.

For what it's worth, if anyone is interested in converting any of the scenarios I have written for Harpoon Classic or Harpoon 3 into scenarios for Command, you have my permission to do so. The only thing I ask is that you credit me as the original author (e.g., "Original scenario written for Harpoon Classic by Mark Gellis"). You should probably still credit the appropriate version of Harpoon, too, but I think that is all you need to do.

Phobosdeimos71

Post by Phobosdeimos71 »

Thank you guys
Phobosdeimos71

Post by Phobosdeimos71 »

Just wanted to let you know that I went to http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php

and let them know I was building a scenario based around the Harpoon 97 classic disk and received the following posts back

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... scenarios/

I am going to keep trying.

Phobos
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Phobosdeimos

Just wanted to let you know that I went to http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php

and let them know I was building a scenario based around the Harpoon 97 classic disk and received the following posts back

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... scenarios/

I am going to keep trying.

Phobos

Why on earth do you think anybody cares about this. I'd handle this on your own but there is no interest on our end to be involved whatsoever.

Mike
Phobosdeimos71

Post by Phobosdeimos71 »

Sorry didn't mean to offend
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Why on earth do you think anybody cares about this. I'd handle this on your own but there is no interest on our end to be involved whatsoever.

Mike

I don't think Phobus is trying to get the developers to create official Command versions of the Harpoon scenarios; I think he wants to write them himself, and he's just trying to be careful because he is dealing with someone else's intellectual property. You don't want to give yourself an ulcer over this, but he's right to take the issue seriously. The official scenarios released with different versions of Harpoon have monetary value, at least in theory, so it does make sense to be sure the original authors do not mind if you make a version of the scenario for Command. (For example, what if Larry Bond was writing a novel based on one of the scenarios he had written for Harpoon? Now we're talking about some pretty valuable intellectual property.) I suspect that most scenarios authors will have no objection to having someone adapt their work for Command, but checking first is both sensible and good manners.

mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Mark I get it however we don't want to be involved. There is enough risk involved in running a small game company and producing a game. We don't need to be involved in some stupid kerfuffle over 10+ year old Harpoon scenarios. Please take this to the Harpoon forums.

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Mark I get it however we don't want to be involved. There is enough risk involved in running a small game company and producing a game. We don't need to be involved in some stupid kerfuffle over 10+ year old Harpoon scenarios. Please take this to the Harpoon forums.

I completely understand! I just wanted people to understand why it is an issue...people get so enthusiastic about the game that they forget they might be crossing a line. Better safe than sorry.

My real advice to Phobos would be to just write his own scenarios. Heck, he doesn't even have to come up with the plots...all he has to do is read the freakin' newspaper. [:)]

History/Current events + "What if people were sometimes stupid, cruel, xenophobic, ambitious, greedy, proud, and evil? Oh, wait--they are" = Command scenarios. [X(]

mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Not our business if they are and thats my point. We don't want it to be. Do you understand?

Mike

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Not our business if they are and thats my point. We don't want it to be. Do you understand?

Mike

Yes. It's unfortunate, because there's a lot of wonderful source material out there, but I do understand. It makes perfect sense.

Maybe it would help to just have a standard response ready for when this question comes up again (because I'm sure it will). Something like, "While we appreciate that you want to contribute to Command, because of concerns about copyright, etc., we ask people to NOT base scenarios intended for the Community Scenario Pack on scenarios that were written for other games. Instead, please submit only original scenarios." If people know that from the start, it will probably resolve the issue. Anyway, just a thought. I hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, Mike. I think it helps for people to have a clear answer for this question. I'm really not trying to drive you crazy with stuff like this. (My wife would probably tell you that being driven crazy is simply an unavoidable side-effect of knowing me.) [:)] Thanks again.

mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Not really worth it. This is really a non-issue that nobody should care about. (Like us)

Why exactly do you think you can tell us what to do or say?

[:)]

Mike

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”