UBER SAM's on subs

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

wild_Willie2

UBER SAM's on subs

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Hi There,

I am playing around with different sub types and found a possible problem with SAM's on subs, either these are uber powerful or air launched torpedo's need to be deploy able against surface targets from longer ranges. I found out that by surfacing my SAM sub and activating my radar, these subs become VERY hard to kill as they simply shoot down any airborne ASW asset that comes near them (these can't deploy ASW torpedoes outside of the .4 mile limit and are shot down long by the sub based SAM's long before they can deploy these weapons).

W.

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Coiler12

RE: UBER SAM's on subs

Post by Coiler12 »

Add some missile loadouts to the mix of MPAs (some have combination missile/torpedo ones already), so that any sub that tries to play the munchkin-surface game gets blasted.
Luidzi

RE: UBER SAM's on subs

Post by Luidzi »

Possible solutions I can think of right now:

1) During first engagement launch more torpedoes at once to ensure a kill, especially if you use torpedoes that have small warhead, or you suspect the sub to be harder to take down (SSGN, double hull etc.).

2) Most MANPADS have range 3nm or less. Check kinematic range of your torpedoes, if they have better range, you can launch torpedo manually (BOL) and quickly turn the plane around to avoid AA fire. Sub will either stay in one place (and takes a hit), or tries to submerge and escape your torpedo (if it is not too damaged and in this case you can fly close and drop another on top of it).

MPA's with combined torpedo and missile loadouts have usually very long ready times and lower endurance. Helicopters can mount one or the other, but never both, besides only few ASW helicopters can carry missiles.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”