Can't launch Distant Worlds on Windows 8

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Dionysus84

Can't launch Distant Worlds on Windows 8

Post by Dionysus84 »

Hey all,

Here's the crash dump file I'm getting. I can download fine on Steam, can run the launcher, then the start buttons shows the game icon on my taskbar for a few seconds, then nothing. Have also tried running as administrator, same result.

8:07:04 PM Initialize: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DWSteamAPI.GetAppID()
at DistantWorlds.Types.SteamAPI.Initialize(String crashLogPath)8:11:19 PM Initialize: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DWSteamAPI.GetAppID()
at DistantWorlds.Types.SteamAPI.Initialize(String crashLogPath)8:15:45 PM Initialize: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DWSteamAPI.GetAppID()
at DistantWorlds.Types.SteamAPI.Initialize(String crashLogPath)8:26:34 PM Initialize: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DWSteamAPI.GetAppID()
at DistantWorlds.Types.SteamAPI.Initialize(String crashLogPath)8:31:29 PM Initialize: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DWSteamAPI.GetAppID()
at DistantWorlds.Types.SteamAPI.Initialize(String crashLogPath)
Bingeling

RE: Can't launch Distant Worlds on Windows 8

Post by Bingeling »

Are other steam games working? To me, something looks very wrong with either Steam, or how Steam has registered Distant Worlds.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Try installing in a different folder than C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam....

On how to add a different Steam library folders check this webpage:
http://www.mameau.com/add-existing-stea ... y-folders/
Siddham

Post by Siddham »

Have you had Steam check the local files integrity?
Cafe

Post by Cafe »

I have the same issue. Click on play Distant Worlds button on splash screen and the game icon appears on the taskbar for a few seconds and then disappears.

Running Windows 8.1 64 bit, have my Steam games on a separate drive )although Steam installed in default C: drive location), tried reinstalling local files and checking integrity - all good.

Any ideas?
Be nice.
VorteeX

Post by VorteeX »

Copy and paste content of:

(C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.x\DW_CrashDump.txt)
or
(C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe\DW_CrashDump.txt)
Maponus

Post by Maponus »

ORIGINAL: Cafe

I have the same issue. Click on play Distant Worlds button on splash screen and the game icon appears on the taskbar for a few seconds and then disappears.

Running Windows 8.1 64 bit, have my Steam games on a separate drive )although Steam installed in default C: drive location), tried reinstalling local files and checking integrity - all good.

Any ideas?

I had a similar problem, but I managed to get round it.

When you get Steam to uninstall Distant Worlds, it doesn't actually delete all the files from the SteamApps/Common folder. Manually delete the leftover files yourself and then try reinstalling.
Clariti

Post by Clariti »

I had same problem, go to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe and run the DXsetup and it should fix your issues unless your game cache needs to be updated in steam also as mine did, so I had to complete both to get my game working.. hope that helps;)

Return to “Tech Support”