Researching Carriers and Supply ships

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Uncle Lumpy

Researching Carriers and Supply ships

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Greetings, Apparently I'm missing something in regards to what must be researched to build either Carriers or Supply ships. I have achieved "Colossal Construction," with a max ship size of 1500 and I still cannot build either ship!? I recall an earlier game I played and believe I was to build both at much smaller max size. Is there some other technology I must research first? I have Advanced Fighters and Advanced Bombers. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this.
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
Aeson

RE: Researching Carriers and Supply ships

Post by Aeson »

Resupply Ships require the tech which grants the Bakuras High-Speed Shipyard (Accelerated Construction?), which isn't on the main construction line but is instead a short branch off of it about two or three techs up the line. Carriers require the fighter-improvement tech that requires research from the torpedo bomber tree, about midway up the main line (I don't remember what it's called; it's the one that gives the size-45 fighter bay).

If you're playing with mods, this information may not be correct.
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Thanks Aeson! I will check it out.
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Aeson I checked it out. What you stated is correct. Thank you for the point in the right direction.

For Carriers it is completing Tactical Interceptors research. Which I have had since the early-mid game. For Resupply ships it is the side shoot: Accelerated Construction/Bekuras High Speed Shipyard Wonder. Which I traded research of from another empire at about the middle of the game. I still have neither Carriers nor Resupply ships.

Yes, I understand the Maximum Ship Size construction restraint. I have completed research on Mega Scale Construction/max size 800 in the last third of the game. I have since advanced up the construction tree about a year ago game time to its conclusion: Colossal Construction/max size 1500. Still no Carriers or Resupply ships. Yes, another empire, the one I traded the technology from, already completed the Berkuras High Speed Shipyard prior to myself. Would this matter in my, or any other, empire's ability to construct Resupply ships? If so, then does that mean that only the empire which completes the Berkuras Wonder first is the only one which can construct Resupply ships?

Neither issue has been much of a problem for me this game. My ships have vast numbers of the most Advanced Fuel cells and tons of Extractors. So they rarely, if ever, run out of fuel. Even in combat, as I rotate two to three fleets at a single target at a time (one fights while one fuels/repairs, then they trade off). And I recently captured a Carrier from another empire in a battle. I modified it to suit my needs in the ship design screen (would that have any bearing on my having no Carriers of my own?)and have begun building them.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Do you have ship design automated? Do you run a mod or have you modded the game?

With automated design they should show up within a short time after obtaining the required techs. With manual design I assume you would have to make your own.
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Hello Bengeling, No mod, standard game, 1.9.5.10, playing as Human. Ship design is automated. Both Cruisers and Capital ships appeared as buildable designs once appropriate max ship build size was researched. I already have the required technology for both Carriers and Resupply ships, and I thought I had researched large enough max build size (1500/Colossal Construction). I realize Resupply ships are vast, but the game will not allow any ship larger than 1500 to be built. And I thought Carriers were buildable at the level below Colossal Construction. Don't know if it's a simple glitch in this particular game or a new bug.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You don't need particularly large build sizes to get them. Both have special rules for size, and will show up once researched. At least unless you do some weird stuff like never expanding the yard size... For me it has always been about researching the required tech, and never waiting for shipyard size.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Check the ship design section in Empire Policies and make certain that the boxes for Carriers and Resupply Ships are ticked. If they aren't, the computer won't create designs in those roles even if Ship Design is set to fully automated. Also remember that your decisions about the design automation for specific roles carries over from one game to the next; if in your last game you decided to handle the design of Resupply Ships and Carriers personally and didn't change the setting back to automated at the end of that game or at the start of this game, then the computer will not create designs for those roles automatically until such time as you change the design update setting in Empire Policies or the design screen, and this will not be affected by whether or not you set Fully Automate Ship Design, as the manual update setting overrides the global automated design setting.

As far as size limits for ship designs appearing, I want to say I've had both carrier and resupply ship designs show up at construction size 300 or 400, whatever the minimum is to get Accelerated Construction, though I don't usually field carriers before construction size 500 or so (maximum carrier size of 750). Possibly earlier for carriers, but I don't usually beeline fighter technology and even if I did, at such low construction sizes it's not really worth creating a specialized carrier even with the 50% size bonus, in my opinion. Even if the size limit is constraining the appearance of the roles, you should be able to see a design for the role in the design screen if you set the filter to "latest designs" rather than "latest buildable designs," if the computer has been authorized to create designs in that role.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

You can view your designs - all designs, and delete anything that might be getting in the way (an obsolete / or unbuildable constructor). Then within a 14-day game-time it should design one (with automation on).

Sometimes I've had to spur the automation by designing one myself - a throw-away, and then setting "automatic upgrade", and then waiting for the automation to automatically upgrade to something sensible. :)

Sometimes you just have to kick it in the tires to get it to go.
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Thanks Aeson, Ship Design in Empire Policy was on Manual not Full Auto. My bad. [:D]
Thanks to everyone else who responded, too! I appreciate the input of ideas and feedback.
Prior to this post, I have completed, and won, the game (sans Carriers and Resupply ships).

PS: Does anyone know how to post "SOLVED" in the Subject of this thread?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”