War in the West oddity

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Seminole

War in the West oddity

Post by Seminole »

Server game Breakout and Pursuit vs. Choles1

Moved adjacent to one of the Normandy beaches and my Panzers took the hex even through there was an enemy unit on it. The co-located HQ unit made a displacement move, but this unit BR Air Landing) stayed put, just on freshly converted Axis territory and showing now as isolated.

Subsequently when I tried to move to another hex my computer selected path took me through the unit and it created a battle with this result:

They retreated onto the ocean (I guess onto a TF I couldn't see going by the battle report?)
I noticed when I moved adjacent to them farther down the beach they retreated back another sea hex without a battle (displacement move?)

Same type of thing happened farther up the beach as well. Enemy unit was isolated by having the territory under them taken when I moved adjacent, then my next attempt to move past them resulted instead in a hasty attack against the hex where their CV dropped to 0 and they retreated out to sea.

I just finished my turn (number 5).
I'm using latest production release, not beta.

"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Seminole

RE: War in the West oddity

Post by Seminole »

I was initially thinking they might have been on ships, but I just didn't get the icon (detection level issue?)

But if that were true there shouldn't have been a hasty attack:
16.3.2. Units ‘On Ships’ Interaction with
Enemy Units
If a unit on ships is in a port hex with no friendly combat
unit stacked with it, it will make an offset move out to
an adjacent sea or ocean water hex without suffering
any losses if an enemy unit moves next to it. It will
also make an offset move to an adjacent water hex if
other friendly units lose a battle in the same hex and
are forced to retreat. In addition, it will make an offset
move to an adjacent water hex if it tries to move into a
port next to an enemy unit without a combat unit.

If the save from the beginning of my turn can be recovered I think I could pretty easily duplicate my steps, I just don't know if the bug will repeat.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Sorry, just saw this post and you've moved past the point where I can see what happened. Strange game as I now see the entire Allied army is isolated. I can't explain what happened with that air landing division. Hopefully just a very rare fluke event. Does your opponent have any info on the unit in question? Was it depleted (maybe due to air transport of just a part of the division)?
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Sorry, just saw this post and you've moved past the point where I can see what happened. Strange game as I now see the entire Allied army is isolated. I can't explain what happened with that air landing division. Hopefully just a very rare fluke event. Does your opponent have any info on the unit in question? Was it depleted (maybe due to air transport of just a part of the division)?

Unfortunately it was a game I selected from a random server opponent, so I don't know how to contact him. He resigned after the subsequent turn.
I suspect both units were shipped from England, but didn't have enough SMP to unload on his turn, as the other wasn't specifically air mobile.

I had this weirdness of the territory being taken out from under an enemy unit happen twice on that turn, but in both cases it was Normandy ports. I was assuming they were on ships, but they should have just displaced, not offered battle (I also suspect my losses were actually due to TF support).

Does the unit status of being on ships (or trains) require a certain detection level to be apparent?

In a slightly related question. If I want to find enemy TF's and prepping units, will regular tactical recon reveal them, or does it require naval patrol? I have been assuming that regular tactical recon would find a unit on a land (port) hex, but I'm having no success so I'm starting to wonder if I'm using the wrong method...
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Ok, this happened again.

Westwall scenario Seminole v Doombat2000.

I don't have sufficient detection level to know whether or not he is on ships, but I took the hex by moving adjacent with a division.

Avoiding going directly into the hex so it didn't do the combat/non-combat thing in hopes you could see if he is in fact on ships. I would expect him to displace if there isn't a unit on the ground to defend the hex and it has let me seize the territory out from under him, so to speak. If he gets to unload then he can retake the hex and restore supply. We'll see what happens...
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Can you find out from your opponent if he was on ships in the hex?
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Loading the latest save, there is a division off the coast of Bruges, so I'm guessing it was in the port and bounced out when you moved adjacent.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Can you find out from your opponent if he was on ships in the hex?

Is there a way to contact an opponent via Slitherine? It was accepted off the server, so I don't know the opponent's contact info.
Loading the latest save, there is a division off the coast of Bruges, so I'm guessing it was in the port and bounced out when you moved adjacent.

I guess that happens during the logistics phase, because it stayed in the hex during my ground movement phase. In the Breakout and Pursuit game that started this thread I ended up with hasty attacks against them when they should have been on ships by moving into those hexes. I'm not sure if it cost me the extra MP of a hasty attack, but the battle report shows I took losses. From the description in the manual there shouldn't be a battle in that situation.

Don't know if you can get the save of when I received the turn. What happened should be easy for me to replicate, and I'd have units left to try and run into the hex and see what happens.

Return to “Tech Support”