Buying out depleted units?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

crsutton

RE: Buying out depleted units?

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I've often wondered , Instead of buying out units , is there any Chinese base that is near the border to which supplies flow heavily? So that I can move my Chinese units there to revamp and resupply without actually crossing over? With all the brilliant players here , I would have thought that if it were possible , someone here would have figured out the best place. Maybe somewhere with a slightly bigger supply line? Or any easier place to airlift supplies into? Please? [:)]

Not really, if the Japanese control Burma, then the 500 supply points a day you get up from Rangoon does not happen. There is a tiny bit of supply produced in Kuming and I think a tiny bit in Paoshan. Otherwise your boys will get no supply anywhere in the Western portion of China if the enemy holds all of the other production centers. Your only option is to control the Ledo region in the Indian border region and airlift supplies to Paoshan. However, the supply you can airlift is not as much as you need and your operational losses in transport will be very high. Pretty much historically right on the money.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

So, to play devil's advocate, what is the difference between this and buying out units to an air HQ or another 1/4 price option?

Exactly my thoughts.
Not gamey in my opinion because the Allies did rebuild some Chinese units in India.

I'm not that familiar yet with the Allied OOB, but in RL these would be units of the Chinese 5th and 6th Corps and in the game I believe they start unrestricted.

At any rate I appreciate all your responses and I guess its a topic for discussion with a PBEM partner.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

So, to play devil's advocate, what is the difference between this and buying out units to an air HQ or another 1/4 price option?

There are two differences IMO:
- in first case you buy for cheap a unit combat ready, in the latter you have to wait a pair of months for it to become
- the second is related to aderence to reality: PPs deal with difficulty in stripping units from one Command to give to another. If you are China HQ and Commander in Chief ask you a division for the Pacific theater what division do you prefer to give away? Probably the less powerful and the less combat ready. And if that depleted division has to go as a garrison in a place not so probable to be attacked soon, it has the time to restore (so the High Command can accept it).

So the first method seems very gamey the second much less (or not at all).

On this issue there are many shades of what you can do, and related gameyness.
Another point could be if you receive a new understrength restricted unit in Japan (or in USA, is the same).
Can you buy it when it arrives? It's discounted price (maybe 70 or 80% of full price) ? Or you have to wait to reform it before buying it 'cause you have to buy at full price?

Many shades

Blizzard
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: MrBlizzard

There are two differences IMO:
- in first case you buy for cheap a unit combat ready, in the latter you have to wait a pair of months for it to become
- the second is related to aderence to reality: PPs deal with difficulty in stripping units from one Command to give to another. If you are China HQ and Commander in Chief ask you a division for the Pacific theater what division do you prefer to give away? Probably the less powerful and the less combat ready. And if that depleted division has to go as a garrison in a place not so probable to be attacked soon, it has the time to restore (so the High Command can accept it).

So the first method seems very gamey the second much less (or not at all).

On this issue there are many shades of what you can do, and related gameyness.
Another point could be if you receive a new understrength restricted unit in Japan (or in USA, is the same).
Can you buy it when it arrives? It's discounted price (maybe 70 or 80% of full price) ? Or you have to wait to reform it before buying it 'cause you have to buy at full price?

Many shades

Agreed.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”