Split LCU won't reform

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

afspret

Split LCU won't reform

Post by afspret »

Hope this makes sense as I'm @ work & typing this from memory:

Several turns back the 255th USN Base Force unloaded from three different transports (2-APs and an AK) @ Noumea but did not recombine after unloading. I wasn't paying attention 'cause this took place around the time I installed the latest patch and didn't catch it until several turns had passed. At one point I had two separate units listed as 255th USN Base Force/4 and a third as the 83rd Imperial Guards Base Force/4, with an IJA LTC as CO. The "IJA" part is made up of motorized support devices only while the other two are made up of the rest of the normal devices found in your normal USN Base Force unit for early 1942 and they all had the same HQ, even the "IJA" part.

I tried moving them by road to a different base and changing the HQ but nothing changed. I even tried loading the "IJA" fragment onto a couple of AKLs and sent it towards Rabual to get sunk, but since it wouldn't completely load onto the three AKLs I was using, a frag of the frag stayed behind while I sent the small TF on its way to destruction. A couple of turns later I found the frag of the frag was now being shown as 15th Guards Base Force! On the turn after the small TF was finally sunk I found that somehow another frag unit appeared @ Noumea, but this time as the 255th USN Base Force/4, composed of motorized support devices, once again with an IJA CO, meaning I once again had three units with the same 255th designation plus the "IJA" frag. I then loaded the "IJA" frag onto a single small AK and sent it off to its doom, but on the next turn I found the third 255th frag now had a USN LtCmdr as CO.

I am now waiting for the three 255th parts to finish their moves back to Noumea to see if loading them onto transports & then unloading them again solves the problem. Another thing I've noticed is on all the info screens for these frags is all the buttons on the lower left are greyed out except for the disband button. One other thing, the scenario I'm playing is one I modified based on Ironman. Any thoughts?

John E. McCallum
m10bob

RE: Split LCU won't reform

Post by m10bob »

Normally the inability to recombine units is when they are able to split, (like RCT's from divisions), but a patch cured the inability of a singular unit from being able to come back together..The patch was maybe a year ago,(or longer), so I suspect you may already have that patch?
Years ago there was also another cured problem (which you have described) of sub units looking to belong to different sides)..That cure was wayyyy back in WITP..

Of course, if "allowed" units cannot recombine, you would look for twin asterisks next to weapon types which would mean a component has upgraded from it's sister units, preventing them from coming back together..(The example you have given is not that case.)

It is possible your files have become "borked"..sometimes caused by outside electrical power surges, etc.
You may try to restart your turn from a prior date,(if saved)?

afspret

Post by afspret »

Just checked, none of the devices has a ** and there are no mis-matched devices, and yes, I have the latest official past that was released in March. I have noticed none of frags as any regular support devices, just aviation, naval & motorized. As for the dorked files theroy, I don't think I've had a power surge that I'm aware of and my PC is normally powered off when I'm not using it. Also no save, as I have no idea on what turn this happened & several turns passed before and since I first noticed it.

The thing that has me scratching my head is the "IJA" unit with an American unit icon & the fact that after the TF containing the frag of the frag of the "IJA" unit was sunk, it reappeared @ Noumea as a totally separate frag. Like I said this seemed to have happen around the time I installed the newest patch, but can't remember if the unit had started unloading before or on the turn after I installed the patch. Also, this is the only LCU this has happened to. I'm hoping this is a one off thing, as I'm farther into the game now as I've ever been before (late May 42) and don't want to have to start over, or worse, due to possible corrupt files, do a complete remove & re-install.

John E. McCallum
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Sometimes, fragments could be created that still had some data bits left over from a previous turn. But I had thought that all these had been fixed before the last March patch.
Zip up the save and attach here and I'll have a look. There is built-in code that tries to cleanup 'orphaned' fragments, which I thought should have kicked in unless the data it too confused for it.[;)]
Michael

Return to “Tech Support”