Brother Against Brother V1.04beta now available for testing!!

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

Gerry Edwards

Brother Against Brother V1.04beta now available for testing!!

Post by Gerry Edwards »

Hello Everyone

Our newest Brother against Brother patch is available for testing here. Below is the change list for this update.

V1.0.4beta – May 7, 2015
Fixes
• Possible fix for PBEM timeout issue
• Possible fix for corrupted game save PBEM issue
• Eliminated the morale penalty for splitting regiments

V1.0.3beta – March 1, 2015
Fixes
• Add PBEM challenge password support
• Add an option not to zoom out during combat resolution
• Add a small flag representing the side the unit is on right before the unit's name in combat
reports.
• Allow OOB and game to be active at the same time; highlight selected unit in OOB
• Add cycle to next unit buttons.
• Chit graphics now show line/column and skirmishers. Chits also show units that are
disordered, routing, or below -2 morale.
• Combat arrow graphic now has multiple heads along its length to show direction of attack
better
• Don't allow commanders to change formation - don't display their formation along with
brigade orders.
• Includes new 1st Manassas alternate history scenario (#3)
• Various scenario tweaks
Fixes
Fix no smoke on save file load issue
Fix 1366 resolution issues
Fix remaining odd issues related to PBEM and window focus (try resigning a game and issuing a challenge with 1.01, on my Windows 7 system that causes some very bizarre issues with which dialog is in front, etc.)
Change: Turn off weather sound when weather graphic is turned off
Reduced chance of finding a leader casualty from 5% to 3% and added requirement that at least 10 casualties have been caused on both sides during the combat phase.
Change to AI to increase aggression (should help w/ Blackburn's Ford)
Fix music playing bug
Change:  misinterpret orders rule is now always in effect for pbem games
Now using star chit for commanders
Now showing echelon colors in hierarchy box
Increased the frame rate
Fix: From <tm.asp?m=3844971>
Change: Select higher echelons in OOB with click; show selected unit/echelons in OOB
Change: Longrange move sd be possible even inside move area
Possible fix:  History graph buttons being interfered by unit buttons in short resolutions

Cheers,
Gerry
Those who came before pave the path of tomorrow.
Gil R.

RE: Brother Against Brother V1.02beta now available for testing!!

Post by Gil R. »

To be added to this is a number of changes to scenarios, in particular the three historical Manassas scenarios and Blackburn's Ford, especially some A.I. scripting. (The Union at Blackburn's Ford should now be much better.) Also that business of Couch at Williamsburg being missing should be solved.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
miller7219

Post by miller7219 »

I can confirm weather sound and music bugs appear to be fixed with patch 1.02beta. Thank you.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Scrolling is MUCH better now. Thank you!

It looks like you didn't include the brighter victory hex mod that Eric posted a couple days ago. Please include this in the base game, if you guys like it. I know a lot of folks were very pleased with it.

Could you please explain what these changes are:
- Now showing echelon colors in hierarchy box - what is the hierarchy box and how do I see it? Confused.

- Change: show selected unit/echelons in OOB - what is this, please? Do you mean you implemented it so if you click on a unit on the map, it will highlight in the OOB? If so, I don't see this working.

[edit ] Oh yeah - you should have a version number on the main menu page, so we can tell what version we have installed, and that patches we get installed correctly.
Clinchrifles

Post by Clinchrifles »

How do I get back to 1.01 for my pbem game? Thanks
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Clinchrifles

How do I get back to 1.01 for my pbem game? Thanks

uninstall i'm sorry to say and then making sure folder is clean / wiped / empty, reinstall game again
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Is this going to be the case for all updates? That is incompatible with previous the patch.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

most companies now produce patches that either won't roll back, or let you play on in multi player games, as it's a miss match data file most of the time, but this patch isn't incompatible with any other patch, so not sure of your question tbh so can't really fully answer it either
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Still problems with history graphs buttons - see entry in Tech Support.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

[edit ] Oh yeah - you should have a version number on the main menu page, so we can tell what version we have installed, and that patches we get installed correctly.

FYI you can see the version number in the top right of the loading splash screen.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

It's standard advice that if you are playing PBEM, both players should upgrade to the same version. Once you apply an update unfortunately uninstall the game / reinstall the game is the only guaranteed way to revert to a previous version. That's the case for the vast majority of games, very, very few have any kind of update rollback capability.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Michael T
Is this going to be the case for all updates? That is incompatible with previous the patch.

Save files should be compatible between 1.01 and 1.02, but if playing PBEM both players need to be on the same version.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Save files should be compatible between 1.01 and 1.02, but if playing PBEM both players need to be on the same version.

Glad to hear that, when we have to upgrade the game? Before to play the same turn?
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

In this case I don't think it will matter when you upgrade. So just do it as soon as possible.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Could you please explain what these changes are:
- Now showing echelon colors in hierarchy box - what is the hierarchy box and how do I see it? Confused.

- Change: show selected unit/echelons in OOB - what is this, please? Do you mean you implemented it so if you click on a unit on the map, it will highlight in the OOB? If so, I don't see this working.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

The hierarchy box is the same thing as the echelon window mentioned in the manual on page 35.

The bit about showing selected units in the OOB shouldn't be there. I tried to strike that line but apparently just merged it instead.
Brambo

Post by Brambo »

I did the upgrade, when I started the game it said you havn't got the latest version. I cancelled that and carried on. The PBEM game played ok.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Yes, you'll get that error when playing the beta update, and you can safely ignore it. I don't update the number of the server till we have an official (non-beta) update.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

Long range movement still doesn't work as described.
Jim Cobb
kennonlightfoot

Post by kennonlightfoot »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I suspect that PBEM games are broken when one side upgrades. Can't be sure until I can somehow contact opponents but it looks like all my PBEM games stalled. One game is jumping around with seemingly random turn numbers. Since I am on v1.01 my guess is they upgraded.
Kennon

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”