Infantry Survivability

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

kool_kat

Infantry Survivability

Post by kool_kat »

Hey Devs: [8D]

I've noted in many games that infantry units can be very difficult to eliminate when dug in urban and forest hexes.

Here's what the user manual states concerning dug in infantry:

Designer Note: Infantry

Infantry units perform best when dug in and in areas with plenty of cover.
In built up areas like cities infantry can take down unsupported tanks. In the
open, infantry becomes very vulnerable to all types of fire. Digging infantry
out of high cover can be a real chore and usually requires the use of artillery
and your own infantry to remove.

However, it "seems" that in many instances a single infantry squad versus company or even battalion-sized enemy units is able to hold out for several turns? [&:]

Could you explain the rationalization behind this phenomena? It would appear that with such a disparity of numbers, the greatly outnumbered single infantry squad would be overrun and destroyed quickly by the vastly superior enemy force? [&:]

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
MaxDamage

RE: Infantry Survivability

Post by MaxDamage »

"Digging infantry
out of high cover can be a real chore and usually requires the use of artillery
and your own infantry to remove."

I think this should work exactly like that. But i agree that the last survivor phenomenon is weird and could be toned down a bit. The last survivors get ++ defence or something.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

I could be wrong I think it has more to do with density that getting a bonus. And yet I agree digging out that last squad is a bit hard. I would expect it to try and scoot out but it doesn't. It has been reported and discussed.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

You guys may also want to relook the basic loads and resupply for dismounts who are engaged. They can be tough, but not for too long. Looking ahead, there could be some consideration for additional resupply caches or something associated with different levels of being dug-in/fortified. That's part of it. Not sure how well all this is factored in so far, considering the game is more focused on armored maneuver warfare.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The game series started off AFV centric but will obviously move more towards an infantry centric model as it matures into other time periods.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

So, the correct tactic to remove dug in infantry is NOT to go in with unsupported tanks... but instead send in your own infantry supported with arty - correct? [&:]
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

That is correct. I can attest that getting infantry combat right is harder than tank to tank - there are a lot of variables. And I am still not totally satisfied with it. However it is working now as good as I have seen it. Inf dug in in urban should be tough to dig out. It should not be quick combat either. Tanks going in alone should get spanked pretty hard. You got to lower the inf morale and readiness. Hit them hard with arty and then send in your infantry supported by tanks.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”