Command Range

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Michael T

Command Range

Post by Michael T »

I am noticing that units that are adjacent to enemy units go OOC, even when the commander is very close. Is this WAD?

Is it a design decision that as soon as units become adjacent they all go OOC?

EDIT I should add I am not complaining ( yet :) ), just trying to get an understanding of how this system works. If units go OOC as soon as they engage at point blank range thats a pretty big point to take in to account when attacking.
AlessandroD

RE: Command Range

Post by AlessandroD »

It happend to me as well, I guess because the units are inside a heavy smoke and therefore out of LOS but not sure.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Could one of the devs please have a look at this?
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I think we were each expecting the other to respond. Eric and I would make lousy doubles partners!

Without a screenshot it's tough to tell you what's happening. You do know about toggling on the reddish overlay that shows if units are in-command, right? If so, and you can't understand why units are OOC, is it possible that terrain is getting in the way?
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Here is an example. The Confederate unit has gone OOC, within Command Range. This happens whenever units become adjacent.

Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (228.39 KiB) Viewed 122 times
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I'm testing Blackburn's Ford now and it does seem that the command radius cannot enter the ZOC of an enemy unit. This is something we should change.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

So, is this a game breaker? Not being able to move adjacent to the enemy without heavy OOC penalties does not sound good at all.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

OOC penalties for regiments that are already in the fight aren't that horrible, in my opinion, as to break the game. The main effect of a regiment being OOC is that it has reduced maximum MPs, but regiments in contact with the enemy don't need so many MPs perhaps. We've had players playing the game for months like this and they've been having fun and have been reporting that the game is generally historical, so I don't see this is a critical issue. I have just fixed it in the code though, since I would like echelon coverage to penetrate enemy ZOCs.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

not made any difference to me, as eric above says, once in contact next to know movements for me are needed, and plays very well as it is, but will be tweaked and altered with a larger base now anyway, but as results won't alter that much with the change anyway, for me it's no game breaker, and once corrected, most wont or might not even notice the difference re results either, i fight more battles out of command than in command as it's hard enough staying and fighting as a total brigade and staying together as it is, so for a few fights here and there, it matters little to me, only go back in command to recover most of the time
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Ok, good to know. Glad you were able to fix this for the next patch. Thanks!
Clinchrifles

Post by Clinchrifles »

Not that this issue needs to be discussed further but wouldnt a unit ooc lose the initiative from a commander that would help in a bonus attack? Just curious
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

ORIGINAL: Clinchrifles

Not that this issue needs to be discussed further but wouldnt a unit ooc lose the initiative from a commander that would help in a bonus attack? Just curious

To be honest I thought it was WAD.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

It seemed strange to me that a unit would go OOC in a zoc, it was my immediate thought , and it wasn't mentioned in the manual. Hence the question. I think its right to correct this.
Clinchrifles

Post by Clinchrifles »

I can honestly see both sides of this. Can go out of ooc bc proximate to enemy (ie busy in firefight) but if the commander was ups its ass anyways it shouldnt matter.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

The commander was up his ass?
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

Return to “Tech Support”