European Campaign Mod for WITPAE System???

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

claystone_MatrixForum

European Campaign Mod for WITPAE System???

Post by claystone_MatrixForum »

I love the way the system is done and how the look of the game is for WITP and i was wondering if there is a "Mod" that has the map of Europe for this game so i can keep the same system to play?

I know there is "War in the East/West" game out there which i own, but i prefer to play this type of system in a european campaign. I'm not really a big Pacfic War campaign type of guy. I like playing as the Germans taking over Europe or Russia.

To any Mod creater, I would be willing to pay for it to be done, and i will pay well if it would work and play well. And to the developers of this game, would you consider making another game but with the European campaign?

Thanks
fodder

RE: European Campaign Mod for WITPAE System???

Post by fodder »

There is one europe mod, you will find it here.

http://tanciky.cz/uv/witw_english/index.php
claystone_MatrixForum

ORIGINAL: fodder

There is one europe mod, you will find it here.

http://tanciky.cz/uv/witw_english/index.php

Has anyone played this Mod? Does it work?
obvert

Post by obvert »

Wow. Never knew about this. I'm downloading and will at least have a look at the map if it opens.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

First, just to be clear: I do not want to belittle Dalis work here. It is sensational, and the effort put into the project and love for details is astonishing. And it covers the air and naval part of the ETO with pretty high accuracy.

That said, the weakest part of WitPAE has always been the land combat model. It was built for islands and atolls.

This is most evident when observing the China part of the game. The ammount of abstraction present on units, supply model (abstraction, consumption and tracing), combat model, and movement model, make accurately simulating the historical China TOO next to impossible. This is enhanced by 20/20 players´ hindsight making the task even more difficult.

The complexity and variety of ETO land combat, combined with the large landmasses produces an environment impossible to accurately model in WitPAE. There are many better engines for such an undertaking.
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

The 40 miles hex seems to me too small for the european teather, you would lose a lot of detail and units would be massed.
I guess it would be unplayable.
why do you prefer witp model for Europe instead than witw ?

I believe the mod linked above was for witp not for witp-ae
Blizzard
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: MrBlizzard

The 40 miles hex seems to me too small for the european teather, you would lose a lot of detail and units would be massed.

From the page here it's AE based.

I for one would be curious as I know how to play AE and I find WITW both daunting to learn and less interesting as a model. Week long turns. Only a small portion of the war once the Allies already have dominance. Almost no naval component at all. The air system seems to have some advantages but also some drawbacks and is much more abstract.

It probably has no stacking limits, but this might make it more playable on land. Maybe not, but is there a really good option that includes great naval, air and land systems from 40-45? Let me know if you have found one. [:)]

Attachments
AEwest.jpg
AEwest.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 195 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

ORIGINAL: obvert

From the page here it's AE based.

I for one would be curious as I know how to play AE and I find WITW both daunting to learn and less interesting as a model. Week long turns. Only a small portion of the war once the Allies already have dominance. Almost no naval component at all. The air system seems to have some advantages but also some drawbacks and is much more abstract.

It probably has no stacking limits, but this might make it more playable on land. Maybe not, but is there a really good option that includes great naval, air and land systems from 40-45? Let me know if you have found one. [:)]

Yes you're right.
I love the detail of WITW map, we started to make a mod for Mediterranean convoys war and operation husky; based from witp-ae engine; but we had to give up 'cause of the wrong scale.
Ships could make Sicily to Tunisia in just one turn phase, so they would never be outside CAP. Italy would be large only 2-3 hex, so massed troops in few hexes, similar problems in the libian desert.
Indeed I love witp-ae model :)

Attachments
jshwfm.jpg
jshwfm.jpg (247.81 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Blizzard
claystone_MatrixForum

I have both games "War in the East and also War in the West". I prefer WITPAE system, graphics, charts, UI, etc. I like when i move land units that it takes time to get there. I just like the whole look and play of this game also better.

I put in the "Mod Section" of this forum that im looking to pay someone to put together a "Mod" of The Battle for Normandy the entire map, or Barbarossa entire map.

oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

Errr.. where is Cyprus ? Shouldnt it be in the map ?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

You have to look really close![:D]

9 hexes from Amsterdam to Switzerland....

I wonder if you could mod it to be more like the old Avalon Hill classic War at Sea, what a great game...and fast playing too! [:D]
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

You have to look really close![:D]

9 hexes from Amsterdam to Switzerland....

I wonder if you could mod it to be more like the old Avalon Hill classic War at Sea, what a great game...and fast playing too! [:D]
Just a mega battle all together[:D]
Blizzard
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

can it be possible to mod galley warfare into this map ? [:D]

claystone_MatrixForum

Well here is what i wrote in the other Thread under Mods I still havent found any takers who i would pay to have this Mod made.

"Willing to commission someone to put together a European Campaign Mode. Since i love wargame boardgames i was thinking about either:

1. Case Blue Mod (Resourse by "Multi game publishing"...you can see their map to use for Mod)
https://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardg ... /case-blue

or

2. Battle for Normandy Mod (Resourse by "GMT Games"...you can see their map to use for Mod)
https://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardg ... ndy/page/2

These are boardgames wargame i mentin above to help with the mod. Like i said i would pay for a working mod to be created. Please PM if interested."
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Well you could always check out the World in Flames forum to see what an effort that has been for one person to get that game where it is now. 10+ years. So unless you are willing to actually pay salaries for 2-3 people to program this for you, you are never going to see this developed. Even if you were willing to $100 for it. Just not that many people in the pool that would be interested.

And if you were willing to actually pay people to program for you, WitP II would be a much better use of your dollars. Just saying [:)]

I was the Board Chair of a local non-profit and I constantly had people coming up with ideas and suggestions to improve things. Some of them really good ones too. But as soon as I asked them to lead the effort, i.e. raise funds, write the proposals, etc. they immediately said 'Oh no. I can't do that, I wanted you to do the work.' [:@] Needless to say our plates were full of the things we HAD to get done and could not afford to divert efforts into these areas, regardless of how good they were.

These types of suggests that appear on this (and other forums) remind me of the above. I too would love a lot of mods/changes to WitP (plus a lot of other games too). But until someone a) is willing to completely fund the development and b) get permission from the hodpoge of people that have a piece of WitP none of this is going to happen. Plus if disagreements break out we could easily end up like Steel Panthers did. Two separate games with the same name that have two different code bases now. One sold by Matrix and one sold by Shrapnel Games. BTW a fascinating history behind Steel Panthers if anyone is interested.

If that happened to WitP which one would you play? [:)]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

can it be possible to mod galley warfare into this map ? [:D]

Wooden ships and iron men? Too, please.[:D][:D]
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Pax Romana (GMT Games) [&o]
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: claystone
Well here is what i wrote in the other Thread under Mods I still havent found any takers who i would pay to have this Mod made.
Obviously can’t play with the game executable. That belongs to Matrix/2 By 3/Henderson Field. Copyright laws are very restrictive. It must be strictly a scenario based on the game engine – absolutely no possibility for changes.

And what are you paying for? A schlock scen file, or something useful? And if you want a professional scenario, how much will you interfere with what the people do? Ok, so map work, OOB definitions, TOE research, planes, ships, art for the foregoing; maybe 3 people, 2-3 months. 350-500 hours (roughly 1063 man-hours). That’s roughly $26,500 on a $25.00 per hour scale.

Will require a written contract, based on a mutually agreed upon Statement of Work. Change Orders will be a cost adder, with costs stated up front. If not agreed upon, they won’t happen. It will not include AI work. Alternative Dispute Resolution is mandatory and the American Arbitration Association will be specified in the contract.

$8,000 up front with $8,000 monthly progress payments. The residual due upon acceptance. You like, then send PM. I do not respond to gmail, yahoo, or other anonymous nonsense, so please include an official ISP email address.

[ed] Boy, that opened the overcoat about what we did for opportunity costs working the title; although most of us were way beyond the $25.00 per hour scale. And then some of us got old and retired and went further and continue to support the title. Hey !!! ... Who loves ya Baby ??!!!
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

OK. I'm not a game creator , lawyer , financier or entrepreneur. But in this age of kickstarting and crowd funding , why would it not be possible for a group of like minded indivuals to find a spokesman to offer to matrix or Henderson field, 1) this is what we want. 2) How much do you want? 3) what do we need for a starting dollar amount to build a semi-custom game , or modify an exisiting one? Then set up a "fund" and start building. Good lord they even "building" a Star Trek movie (1st rate , prime theatre quality) in this matter. If you can fund a major motion picture in this manner , I'd imagine you could fund a game pretty easy. The companies exist , the game structure exists, the experienced people exist. Tell the initial funders they get the 1st copies of the game , and that's basically all they want. Tell me , how much would you pay for say....WITP 2? My mouth is salivating and my hand reaching towards my wallet at the very thought.

Symon

Post by Symon »

PM sent.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”