Whatsit #4

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chickenboy

Whatsit #4

Post by Chickenboy »

Full marks for class and nationality of ship, and year picture was taken based upon camouflage pattern. No, I'm not talking about the "Orca" pattern. [;)]

Attachments
Whatsit4.jpg
Whatsit4.jpg (160.84 KiB) Viewed 267 times
AW1Steve

RE: Whatsit #4

Post by AW1Steve »

OH GOD! Not again! I've got work to do!!![:(]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

OH GOD! Not again! I've got work to do!!![:(]

You needn't worry, Steve. I'm sure someone else will come along in short order and solve this one. Leaving you with nil credit. So go ahead-real life beckons. Let someone else get the laurels and glory. [;)]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

USS Mount McKinley (AGC-7)?
Symon

Post by Symon »

Yes indeed. Mt McKinley AGC-7 class. As to the date, only Kelley LaBelle (TomLabel) knows when every ship in the inventory got every camo measure and probably the name of the Chief that supervised the painting.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

AGC-9 USS Wasatch (McKinley class), so I'll give you partial credit. [;)]

Quite the impressive history on this ship. 5 battle stars (!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasatch_%28AGC-9%29
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

AGC-9 USS Wasatch (McKinley class), so I'll give you partial credit. [;)]

Quite the impressive history on this ship. 5 battle stars (!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasatch_%28AGC-9%29

Gee thanks. Let's take the plates (tags) off your car , and put it in a parking lot with 25 copies of your car same , make, model, color, accessories , etc. then YOU tell me which one. That's why the USN uses HULL numbers son. Which some vandal blotted out. [:D]

By the way , have I said how much I HATE Gators and Aux"s for ID?

In this case , it's obviously a conversion shipping. No hold hatches , king posts but no cranes , some assault craft , but they look more like "mike boats" and Gigs. Lot's of AA , and lots and lots of masts with huge amounts of com gear and presumably RADAR installs. And oh yeah, a big honking open bridge. That got me thinking LCC or command ship. That Garish dazzle paint screamed WW2 (late WW2) so out comes 1944-5 Jane's. Then once I had a suspect (A similar photo of the class and paint job) I ran a NAVSOURCE photo search. I could not come up with the exact photo , so that's why I put my answer in the form of a question.
Symon

Post by Symon »

In this case , it's obviously a conversion shipping. No hold hatches , king posts but no cranes , some assault craft , but they look more like "mike boats" and Gigs. Lot's of AA , and lots and lots of masts with huge amounts of com gear and presumably RADAR installs. And oh yeah, a big honking open bridge. That got me thinking LCC or command ship. ..
She actually was a conversion; from a Maritime Commission C2-S-AJ type: the ones that were also converted into the Tolland class of AKAs. Yard bunnies could do this and that if they had a good base to work on. You want an AGC?, ok, get rid of four of these, replace them with two of those; put an extended superstructure on her for the Commanders and EW pukes. Oh, yeah, put another generating plant down below, and wire the bitch for 220, throughout. The US support ships in the time period were “cookie cutter” in every sense of the word.

Ciao. JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Symon

In this case , it's obviously a conversion shipping. No hold hatches , king posts but no cranes , some assault craft , but they look more like "mike boats" and Gigs. Lot's of AA , and lots and lots of masts with huge amounts of com gear and presumably RADAR installs. And oh yeah, a big honking open bridge. That got me thinking LCC or command ship. ..
She actually was a conversion; from a Maritime Commission C2-S-AJ type: the ones that were also converted into the Tolland class of AKAs. Yard bunnies could do this and that if they had a good base to work on. You want an AGC?, ok, get rid of four of these, replace them with two of those; put an extended superstructure on her for the Commanders and EW pukes. Oh, yeah, put another generating plant down below, and wire the bitch for 220, throughout. The US support ships in the time period were “cookie cutter” in every sense of the word.

Ciao. JWE
That's really why I hate WW2 Aux's and Gators. And there were just so many of them. And they all had "a identity crisis problem". LST? You sure? Could it be a AR? Is it an AK, an AKA , a LCC , a AKE , or God knows what? [X(][8|]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I suppose CB will next come up with the RN "brewery ship" , or some US Army "veterinarian assistance ships" or something else weird......[X(] [8|][:(][&:][:D]
XENXEN

Post by XENXEN »

You guys do know that you can just put the image in https://images.google.com/ and it will tell you what it is right? Im just saying
For all his bluster, it is the sad province of man that he cannot choose his triumph, he can only choose how he will stand when the call of destiny comes, hoping that he will have the courage to answer
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: XENXEN

You guys do know that you can just put the image in https://images.google.com/ and it will tell you what it is right? Im just saying
No....and that's cheating! [:-][:-][:-]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: XENXEN

Yes, we know. And that's cheating.
Symon

Post by Symon »

Okey dokey then. What is the ship and why is she here?

Attachments
Ship.jpg
Ship.jpg (43.21 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Yippy Ki Yay.
XENXEN

Post by XENXEN »

The HMS Agamemnon of course!

Perhaps the proudest and most crucial ship in the Royal Navy fleet train - the brewery ship!

-F-
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... sIj20r2N_w
For all his bluster, it is the sad province of man that he cannot choose his triumph, he can only choose how he will stand when the call of destiny comes, hoping that he will have the courage to answer
Symon

Post by Symon »

Thought sure either Stan or Ollie up there would take a swing at it. Yep, RN M10 amenities vessel Agamemnon with full brewery. Xenxen gets the prize.
Yippy Ki Yay.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

We don't want to forget the Ice Cream Barge:

Attachments
militaryi..exterior.jpg
militaryi..exterior.jpg (13.37 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Hans

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”