Who is she? ETO

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Orm

RE: Who is she?

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: Orm

I think I'll name her "Bob". [:D]
That is not nice considering she served both in the European theatre and the Pacific theatre.
Now clearly you've been on the forum to get the "Bob" joke. [:-][:D]
I am afraid I have not been on this forum enough so I didn't get the joke. [:(]

It is only recently that I have had the energy to delve deeper into this forum. So I lost out.

Edit: I suspected that it was some sort of joke but I had no clue. So I attempted to give a clue about the ship at the same time as I fumbled the joke.

And now I do not even know what I am writing. [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Is this the source of the joke?

Attachments
bob.jpg
bob.jpg (186.34 KiB) Viewed 392 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I think I'll name her "Bob". [:D]
warspite1

What Bob, short for Kate?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

That is not nice considering she served both in the European theatre and the Pacific theatre.

It is only recently that I have had the energy to delve deeper into this forum. So I lost out.

Edit: I suspected that it was some sort of joke but I had no clue. So I attempted to give a clue about the ship at the same time as I fumbled the joke.

Many years ago , a much beloved denizen of the original "The Thread!!!!" created a thread that he called "Bob", so that he and the other players in his "2x2" PBEM could inform each other of who's turn it was. This became the source of much amusement over the years. "I think I'll name this thread BOB" has often used as the punchline when some one says "name this fred". This fellow , known as "the penguin" , or his log-in name of Fabertong , started a procedure to see who can get his post as the top one of "THE THREAD"'s next page. (AKA as a UNP). His particular technique was to do a chain of posts, one right after the next , usually with one word, spelling a message. In the USA this is called "A Burma shave sign" after a 1940's road way advertising trick of one sign after the other , each containing part of the message , ending with "use Burma shave!".

Sorry for assuming you'd been around long enough (from the date of your joining and the post count) to be familiar with this. [8|]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Many years ago , a much beloved denizen of the original "The Thread!!!!" created a thread that he called "Bob", so that he and the other players in his "2x2" PBEM could inform each other of who's turn it was. This became the source of much amusement over the years. "I think I'll name this thread BOB" has often used as the punchline when some one says "name this fred". This fellow , known as "the penguin" , or his log-in name of Fabertong , started a procedure to see who can get his post as the top one of "THE THREAD"'s next page. (AKA as a UNP). His particular technique was to do a chain of posts, one right after the next , usually with one word, spelling a message. In the USA this is called "A Burma shave sign" after a 1940's road way advertising trick of one sign after the other , each containing part of the message , ending with "use Burma shave!".

Sorry for assuming you'd been around long enough (from the date of your joining and the post count) to be familiar with this. [8|]
warspite1

No idea what you are talking about - this is the truth about Bob....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTR8qYWJbQ

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Out of your strait jacket so soon? [:D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Out of your strait jacket so soon? [:D]
warspite1

I trust Blackadder was a hit over the other side of the pond?

Orm

Post by Orm »

Sorry for assuming you'd been around long enough (from the date of your joining and the post count) to be familiar with this.
Yes. But during the first years I was only at the MWIF forum, then I joined the MWIF Beta Test forum and eventually I joined the general forum.

Here I only went when I wanted to know something specific about the PTO. Or, as entertainment, read a AAR thread.

The game I have own for a while but I have yet to begin a game in earnest since I fear that all my available time will be consumed by it.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Sorry for assuming you'd been around long enough (from the date of your joining and the post count) to be familiar with this.
Yes. But during the first years I was only at the MWIF forum, then I joined the MWIF Beta Test forum and eventually I joined the general forum.

Here I only went when I wanted to know something specific about the PTO. Or, as entertainment, read a AAR thread.

The game I have own for a while but I have yet to begin a game in earnest since I fear that all my available time will be consumed by it.
Oh it will take all your time. But come over to the dark side...we have cookies! [:D]
Orm

Post by Orm »

I suspect that I will eventually join the dark side.

I might even have an opponent available for a game. [X(]
Orm

Post by Orm »

Can you name the ship?

Would it help if I tell you that this Italian Lady was born in Britain and served in the US navy during the war?
She was part of Operation Torch and during the war she transported over a hundred thousand soldiers.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

USS Hermitage AP54 formerly CONTE BIANCAMANO . Sorry. I completely forgot you asked the question.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

It's one of my SO's all time favorite programs along with Ab Fab.

But then we watch a fair bit of British import TV. The sister of a friend from England came to visit and she said it was very disconcerting to hear someone (me) use British slang in regular conversation with an American accent.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

It's one of my SO's all time favorite programs....

Bill
warspite1

Which series is her favourite? It usually comes down to II (Elizabethan) or IV (First World War) for most people.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Which series is her favourite? It usually comes down to II (Elizabethan) or IV (First World War) for most people.

I just asked: IV is her least favorite, II and III are tied for first with I getting close to the top for good writing but poor production quality. Alas she's not a fan of war. She came of age during the Vietnam draft and a lot of her male friends were consumed with fears of getting drafted (one of her cousins joined the air force to avoid getting drafted and when it looked like he was going to get shipped out to Vietnam he took such a large dose of LSD he had a psychotic break and they medically discharged as unfit, he was in the hospital a month).

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Orm

Post by Orm »

USS Hermitage AP54 formerly CONTE BIANCAMANO . Sorry. I completely forgot you asked the question.
No, no. It is Bob. [;)]

Sorry, I could not resist. [:D] Of course it is AP54. [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I just asked: IV is her least favorite, II and III are tied for first with I getting close to the top for good writing but poor production quality. Alas she's not a fan of war. She came of age during the Vietnam draft and a lot of her male friends were consumed with fears of getting drafted (one of her cousins joined the air force to avoid getting drafted and when it looked like he was going to get shipped out to Vietnam he took such a large dose of LSD he had a psychotic break and they medically discharged as unfit, he was in the hospital a month).

Bill
warspite1

Sorry to hear about her cousin [:(]

Good choice on Blackadder though. I personally think III was very underrated - Hugh Laurie was excellent as the Prince Regent and there are some brilliant characters - Stephen Fry as the Duke of Wellington and Robbie Coltrane as Dr Johnson.

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Parts of both III & IV.

Problem is we get so much SIR Ian Robinson, Baldrick has lost his shine, well a few layers of mould.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Orm

Post by Orm »

Can you name the ship?

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (86.93 KiB) Viewed 392 times
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Can you name the ship?

HMS Barnham

Do I get extra points for telling you that the water in the picture is the Clyde?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”