Buying out depleted units?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

rustysi

Buying out depleted units?

Post by rustysi »

I imagine this has been discussed before, but since its a matter of preference or desired game style I thought I'd put it to the community again.

As imperfect as the PP system seems to be I look at it as a regulating device. That is to say regulating the game pace. So, does the community consider the buying out of understrength units to be cricket? Does it matter? Or do you not care?

Of course all opinions are welcome.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
witpqs

RE: Buying out depleted units?

Post by witpqs »

Cricket.

The caveat with anything is if the opponents have discussed and agreed upon something that outweighs the rest of the universe's opinions.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Cricket.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

If I have a Chinese ID collapse in a terrible attack somewhere in China, I have no issue buying them out for other duty. One still has to let them get R&R to recover and bring in replacements. Takes a good amount of time.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

Yes often when I have to buy a japan division from China I chose the less expensive one ; sometimes, if not urgent, I wait the battle to buy the more disabled with discount.
Then you have to wait many weeks to have it combat ready again.
Blizzard
obvert

Post by obvert »

I think all Japanese players do this, especially with depleted units in China, and probably all Allied players if they're unfortunate enough to have divisions crushed in India or elsewhere.

So, to play devil's advocate, what is the difference between this and buying out units to an air HQ or another 1/4 price option? Really you've just reduced the price because of the loss of troops, but the unit is the same, and for the Japanese this often occurs in the beginning of the game, so that unit won't be needed on Guam until quite a bit later, plenty of time to fill out and train up.

It seems the way most games go this system of buying out depleted units could benefit the Japanese. There are a lot of units that traditionally were in the Pacific that are restricted in game and as I'm finding now, it takes making big compromises elsewhere (ship commanders, leaders) to get them into the campaign.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Please explain the meaning of the term "cricket" in this context.
Engrish is my only language and I'll be damned if I have clue what you are talking about.
Hans

Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

You can game this system
Divide division, disband B and C regiments
Recombine to reform the division
Rinse and repeat until you can buy out the division cheap with only a few squads.
Wait for 3 months for it to rebuild

Is this any different to buying it out cheaply because a division copped a hammering in combat?
Does it make a difference if you've deliberately put the division in harms way vs opportune buy out?
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Cricket = is it fair, is it the done thing, is it how a gentleman would behave
alimentary

Post by alimentary »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
Here is some background... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ot+cricket

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: alimentary
Here is some background... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ot+cricket

Thank you.

I knew "cricket" was a sort of British copy cat of baseball, oh, and also little bugs who rub their legs together and make noise.

Had no idea it also meant "all is good".

Jiminy Cricket:

Attachments
th1PVGZBJU.jpg
th1PVGZBJU.jpg (7.71 KiB) Viewed 140 times
Hans

wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

Thank you.

I knew "cricket" was a sort of British copy cat of baseball, oh, and also little bugs who rub their legs together and make noise.

Jiminy Cricket:

Hans -

Baseball may be a copy cat of cricket - predates the American game quite a bit.

Although 'cricket' as one word is a bit confusing. Seems cricket, is cricket would have been clearer to some of us.
Bill Goin
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

Thank you.

Jiminy Cricket:

Hans -

Baseball may be a copy cat of cricket - predates the American game quite a bit.

Although 'cricket' as one word is a bit confusing. Seems cricket, is cricket would have been clearer to some of us.

Hope you realize I "tossed that out" to elicit the very response you gave.....[;)]

I was pretty sure cricket the game must predate baseball which I believe harkens back to our little spat between the states.

I always enjoy poking our brethren across the pond with whom we share an often incomprehensible language.
Hans

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

If I have a Chinese ID collapse in a terrible attack somewhere in China, I have no issue buying them out for other duty. One still has to let them get R&R to recover and bring in replacements. Takes a good amount of time.

Yep, in fact generally for the Allied player the supply situation in China becomes so dire that your infantry units can't take replacements. As long as they have no heavy guns, you can buy out a fragment (only a few can actually be bought out) and then air transport it to India where you can rebuild it using the thousand or so squads you have accumulated. Not gamey in my opinion because the Allies did rebuild some Chinese units in India.

Here is a trick to save PP which are in very short supply. Depending on the situation in India. I will disband a full restricted Indian division and use the squads and devices to build up a re-purchased division that was lost early in the war (Singapore, Burma) The cost to purchase a dead division and then change its HQ to unrestricted is minimal and this method will save you about 2,000 PP. Then in six months the division you disbanded can be bought back and the process repeated. This helps free up PP for much more important purchases. Some might call this gamey but I don't think so because you are trading the use of an active and experienced division for six months. So, you are trading lost time and any built up experience for more PPs. And will gain perhaps one or two more "bought out divisions" when you go on the offensive later in the war.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I've often wondered , Instead of buying out units , is there any Chinese base that is near the border to which supplies flow heavily? So that I can move my Chinese units there to revamp and resupply without actually crossing over? With all the brilliant players here , I would have thought that if it were possible , someone here would have figured out the best place. Maybe somewhere with a slightly bigger supply line? Or any easier place to airlift supplies into? Please? [:)]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
So, does the community consider the buying out of understrength units to be cricket?

Aye. No problemo. Kosher. Halal. S'alright. Jolly jolly good. Okeley-dokeley. S'cool, bro.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I've often wondered , Instead of buying out units , is there any Chinese base that is near the border to which supplies flow heavily? So that I can move my Chinese units there to revamp and resupply without actually crossing over? With all the brilliant players here , I would have thought that if it were possible , someone here would have figured out the best place. Maybe somewhere with a slightly bigger supply line? Or any easier place to airlift supplies into? Please? [:)]
So anybody? Bueller? ...........[:(]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I want to let you know that I've read your question, but have not answered it because I don't know enough of the Allied OOB / Chinese supply status quo to answer.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I want to let you know that I've read your question, but have not answered it because I don't know enough of the Allied OOB / Chinese supply status quo to answer.
Thanks Andre. I'll experiment in my ongoing games , but I figured someone HAD to have tried it. [:)]
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

If you can find Shangri-La I hear there is plenty of supply and a group of B-25s too.[8D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”