What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Twotribes

RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers?

Post by Twotribes »

I want the ability to buy units for my game ( already implemented) and then be able to break up and add singles from a set like a company buy with out the problem of who will be in command. Basically what happens now is if you break up the unit the leader of that unit may outrank the leader of the unit you want to add the singleton to. That means the added unit at the end of the unit quay is now the leader.

I know it is petty but it is what I want ). Love the suggestions.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
TerribleIvan

Post by TerribleIvan »

All these suggestions are great. After all these years I can still feel the LOVE from this loyal community.

Here're 2 things I'd really love to see improved if possible in the next gen SPWAW:

- fix the "city map" generation routine, so that random city maps look more like city (e.g. with streets between mostly rectangular blocks of buildings) instead of a giant block of massive congested buildings with one vertical street and one horizontal street through it.

- improve the AI "deployment" routine before the start of a random battle. Right now ALL countries deploy their forces in one style, as far as I can tell. For example if the AI is delaying, pretty much all their infantry is up front near the start line, then some AT guns in the middle section, and maybe two groups of armors near the upper and lower edge of the map. Ideally the new, improved AI can deploy their forces more in line with their historical doctrine of their country. But even if that's too hard to program, I'd like to see at least some more variations or randomness to this one single, highly predictable force deployment routine.

Thanks for listening to us, Matrix!
kujalar

Post by kujalar »

I would like to see better field fortifications.

I mean entrenchements where you could hide well fortified from machinegune fire unless your troops try to shoot anything and where you could move troops from hex to hex concealed etc.

Then I would like to see modern enchantsments for a user interface and better multiplayer. With better I mean less clikcs and faster gameplay.

Perhaps there could be a possibilites for a multiplayer games with more than 2 players and multiplayer style campaigns.
SteelPanhters ONLINE :) step in as a Company commander or brigade commander or something more!
Maybe even a huge map for ongoing onlinebattles where you could lead your unit to achieve victory.

How could you do this ? I don't know but if someone could do it well it would be great.

Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

"What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers?"

What I would like to see is a new Steel Panthers

MM
Click below. You know you want to!!

Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

I really hope that things are happening behind the scenes.

Then again at the same time I'm conserned that if something does come out of this it will be nothing like the previous game and instead somekind of streamlined and dumbed down adaptation.

In the past there has been projects to make a new "SPWAW" by Matrix Games. However those have all been canceled. I would imagine that alot of work went into those projects and it could be reused in a new game. Or has it all been lost?

Combat Leader:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/284/details/
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja

I really hope that things are happening behind the scenes.

In the past there has been projects to make a new "SPWAW" by Matrix Games. However those have all been canceled. I would imagine that alot of work went into those projects and it could be reused in a new game. Or has it all been lost?

Combat Leader:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/284/details/

Boy. I'd sure like to take a look at the maps/editors, whatnot on that Combat Leader project. I thought it was just vapourware, but I guess I was wrong.

MM

Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

BUMP!

JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

I highly recommend adding our two cents and a vote for SP:WAW in this General post:

tm.asp?m=3821633

BY THE WAY... OUR BELOVED GAME IS THE HIGHEST RANKED GAME IN THAT POST OF OLD GAMES THAT WE WOULD LIKE TO BE UPDATED.

Let's get some more votes for it and make it SO OBVIOUS that it can't be ignored!
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

WOW!! Haven't been here in a while now, focused on helping develop the new Middle East game for Campaign Series. I helped originally to make SPWAW, and always loved it, it doesn't like to play very well sometimes on my new rig, but a new one would be fantastic! We started on Combat Leader way back, but lost track of what ever happened to it? I'm so glad there is even talk of a new one, I loved making the graphics for the "Old Girl"!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

WOW!! Haven't been here in a while now, focused on helping develop the new Middle East game for Campaign Series. I helped originally to make SPWAW, and always loved it, it doesn't like to play very well sometimes on my new rig, but a new one would be fantastic! We started on Combat Leader way back, but lost track of what ever happened to it? I'm so glad there is even talk of a new one, I loved making the graphics for the "Old Girl"!!

Still a Believer.

Welcome Brother, there is many of us already.

MM

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

BTW, the fix works great, it plays now, so cool!! So I take it the graphics won't be top down anymore if it is recreated? A shame, I made a ton of those graphics, simple, but I like the top down look! Does any one know if Alby, Redleg, Wild Bill are still around?
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

Nice to see some of the original SPWAW crew. I have enjoyed this game for at least 14 years now and hopefully I can play it for much longer. [:)] Thank you for your work Mike and I do like the top down 2D graphics.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Thank you sir!! I'm glad you've had fun with it, I had a lot of good times helping out with it, we had a really good team! I'm sorry I haven't been over here in a long time, mostly play Campaign Series now, but just played some SPWAW tonight! Very excited that there is even talk of a new one, I hope it happens!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

I just played around for fun with editing screenshots from the game. It's amazing how good the graphics in this game still look. Just adding in some extra effects with Paint.Net image editor and the results look quite nice I think.

Why not try and reuse the existing graphics for a remake instead of trying to build everything from scratch. Just create a new executable with modern code and use the existing art with some new effects. Just a thought...

Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

.... So I take it the graphics won't be top down anymore if it is recreated? ......

Wait .................... what?

Respectfully Mr. Warhorse - where in the Hell did you get that info??

cheers

MM

JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

I think this is what we want, yes.
Along with some improvements to play.
ORIGINAL: Riitaoja
Why not try and reuse the existing graphics for a remake instead of trying to build everything from scratch. Just create a new executable with modern code and use the existing art with some new effects. Just a thought...
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

@Major Mess-Don't quote me please! I only just started checking in here again, I thought I read yesterday somewhere on here about the graphics maybe going another type, like Panzer Corps or something, IF this ever happens![:D]

I too would like to see the original unit graphics used, top down is great, why change it! I'm currently working on the new Middle East game for Campaign Series, doing unit graphics, and while I like the 3/4 view, doing six different facings for each graphic is a real pain, the top down was great!!

Man, I hope this happens!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

No problems Warhorse [:)]
I thought something might have slipped by me, that's all.

I concur with you, top down perspective is all that's needed.

If I understand right, you're one of the original developers/programmers/worker bees of this fine game? Si?
That's cool that you're still around and still show the Love towards WaW.

cheers

MM

Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

ORIGINAL: Major Mess

No problems Warhorse [:)]
I thought something might have slipped by me, that's all.

I concur with you, top down perspective is all that's needed.

If I understand right, you're one of the original developers/programmers/worker bees of this fine game? Si?
That's cool that you're still around and still show the Love towards WaW.

cheers

MM

Yes, we started it out from a game by Scott Grasse called Steel Thunder, in itself a mod based on Steel Panthers 3!! I mostly did graphics, but did quite a bit early on with the oob's. I started to make a Korean War Mod for it, but fizzled out when I got into the Campaign Series, so I made the mod for that, took seven years!

I'm thrilled at the amount of interest that still exists after all these years! I think I started with helping Matrix out back in '99, or earlier, the thingie on the profile says 2000, but I remember some problem, and they had to reset like a year or so, too long ago to remember!

I'm always grateful for David Heath to take me on, along with the rest of the team, I wonder ifd any are still about?
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Mannock

Post by Mannock »

I love the Steel Panther series and I really hope there is a remake. Maybe Matrix could fund it via Kickstarter?

Anyway, what features to stick to:

In my opinion, stick to the original formula. Don't do anything crazy. Someone stated that there was talk about not having it top down. Please don't do that. Keep it the way it was way back when. I also enjoyed the Mega campaigns a lot, so I hope you will do them too.
Always from below, seldom on the same level and never from above. - Mannock revised.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”