Q re Star Bases

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Siddham

Q re Star Bases

Post by Siddham »

Will Star Bases function as refueling depots in systems that one has no colonies in?

Or, how can I design or get a Star Base to do that?
Shark7

RE: Q re Star Bases

Post by Shark7 »

Quick answer...yes if fuel is available.

Long answer:

I design star bases to specifically act as refueling depots. You'll want to add 2 gas extractors and a minimum of 20 cargo bays to make them truly useful as refueling posts, but DO NOT include a commerce module if you don't want the freighters hauling away all the fuel. And your ships and fleets will utilize them to gas up.

Built to this design, they work best in gas clouds or at gas giants that have only 1 type of gas available, since the other types of gas harvested will not be picked up by freighters. I only build these in caslon or hydrogen rich gas clouds.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Siddham

Post by Siddham »

So you use the Star Base as a mining station?
Never thought of that!

But why use a Star Base format?
Would a Mining Station format not do just as good?

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

When I use star bases that way, I do not want the caslon or hydrogen being taken away to planets. Those stations will always have enough gas on board to refuel my fleets because with no commerce module, the freighters won't pick it up.

Basically, its a way to reserve fuel to be used only by my military ships. Freighters can refuel there, but they will never fill their cargo holds and haul it away.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Siddham

Post by Siddham »

So the crucial factor is the commerce centre
and one cannot build a mining station without one
so therefore a star base
Good, thanks.

So the starbase template gives the player a generic base that can be used creatively for multiple player designed functions
unlike the other dedicated templates that have specific requirements, eg a mining station must have a commerce centre

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”