Movement animations are slow and choppy

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

FroBodine

Movement animations are slow and choppy

Post by FroBodine »

I have a good i7 PC running Windows 7 with 8GB RAM, with a good Nvidia GTX760 video card.

The unit movement animations are slow and choppy, almost looks like they are moving on a machine with a very slow frame rate. Is this just how the game engine is, or is there something I can do on my end to fix this?
miller7219

RE: Movement animations are slow and choppy

Post by miller7219 »

Yes, I've thought that as well. I'd prefer to not have any animations at all rather than the slow choppiness you describe. If it is just the way it is, then an option to turn off animations would suffice for me.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Yes, I don't really like the animations. Would prefer them off.
miller7219

Post by miller7219 »

I'm going to say this, buried in this thread, because I think it would be a disservice to an arguably great Civil War battle system to make a main thread out of it. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed with the quality and polish I've seen so far. Great substance and depth, but just plain rough and somewhat clunky with regards to UI, sounds, animations, etc. It kind of reminds me of Command Modern Air Naval Operations when it released. Extremely good game under the hood, but had the polish only a mother could love. Many patches later it's gotten prettier and more polished!

VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

I have a good i7 PC running Windows 7 with 8GB RAM, with a good Nvidia GTX760 video card.

The unit movement animations are slow and choppy, almost looks like they are moving on a machine with a very slow frame rate. Is this just how the game engine is, or is there something I can do on my end to fix this?
Check if Movement Fast Slide is turned on at:
Options > Screen Drawing Options

ORIGINAL: miller7219

I'd prefer to not have any animations at all rather than the slow choppiness you describe. If it is just the way it is, then an option to turn off animations would suffice for me.
Turn on Instant Movement at:
Options > Screen Drawing Options
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

ORIGINAL: miller7219

I'm going to say this, buried in this thread, because I think it would be a disservice to an arguably great Civil War battle system to make a main thread out of it. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed with the quality and polish I've seen so far. Great substance and depth, but just plain rough and somewhat clunky with regards to UI, sounds, animations, etc. It kind of reminds me of Command Modern Air Naval Operations when it released. Extremely good game under the hood, but had the polish only a mother could love. Many patches later it's gotten prettier and more polished!

VPaulus - the movement fast slide did help, but as I play today, the animations are not that choppy for me. Maybe it depends on the scenario and number of units on screen. I don't know.

I have to agree with miller7219 about this. First of all, the game is very fun to play, and I will definitely be spending a lot of time playing it, and hopefully some multiplayer, too. But, I agree some things are not up to snuff, and hopefully some constructive criticism will help improve the polish on this wonderful game.

In addition to what miller7219 said:

1. The firefight details screens are not easy to read at all. Everything is jumbled together. No line spacing between lines, some carriage returns here would really help. They look like a poorly formatted Excel spreadsheet, and could certainly use some clean up. This really bugs me. It is especially bad when zoomed out during firefight details. I can't read any unit names on the map. I know that Erik said there are some fixes around this in a patch very soon, like adding flags to unit names in the firefight details, and letting us zoom in during combat. But still, the text should be more readable when zooming out a little bit.

2. There is only ONE zoom level where the map text is perfectly clear and sharp. Zooming in distorts the text a bit, but zooming out even just a couple levels makes the unit text look really bad! This has to be improved.

3. Zooming the map in and out is not smooth. It's like there is a delay on each scroll of the mouse wheel. This should be much smoother. Also, scrolling the map up/down/left/right is very slow in a similar manner. Scrolling chunks a step at a time, instead of smoothly scrolling. Also, a scroll speed slider option would be very useful to appease everyone.

This went on way longer than I expected. Again, please take these as positive suggestions to improve a wonderful game.

-=Jeff
miller7219

Post by miller7219 »

All easily handled by future upgrades, which I expect there will be many as the system and game in general evolve and develop.

FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I hope so. The text is really bad at all but the one optimal zoom level, and it is unreadable when zoomed out during battles.
miller7219

Post by miller7219 »

Yeah, The game is a little hard on the eyes. I think the developers of detailed games like this may tend to get so embroiled with what's going on under the hood they neglect what's on top of the hood! Most of Gary Grigsby's games are like that along with the modern naval warfare titan Command Modern Air Naval Operations. The polish always comes little by little in post release patches as we complain about it. They new it all along, I think, but the excitement of all the details under the hood gets the best of them. [:)]

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”