Cave functions disappearing in Rising Sun

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Bigeard

Cave functions disappearing in Rising Sun

Post by Bigeard »

I'm playing an Iwo Jima scenario against a human opponent, and we are almost at the end of it with the few remnants of my Japanese cornered on the northern end of the island.

I've just noticed something odd, and I wonder if anyone has an explanation for it. When I move the hotspot to a hex with a cave graphic on it, sometimes it doesn't show 'CV' in the terrain description, and no cave movement is possible into that hex. The hex has the image of a cave, on top of the underlying terrain ( open, rubble etc ) as normal, and it has definitely acted as a cave hex in the past. But now, the terrain description only mentions the underlying terrain - no 'CV' and no cave movement allowed.

I've clicked on cave hexes all over the map, and most of them no longer show 'CV' - just the odd one or two here and there are okay.

Are caves neutralized in some way when an American engineer unit passes through them ?

I have screenshots of this and will add them to the thread, but before doing that, I wonder if anyone has a quick answer.

Regards
Paul
Regards

Paul Kirkland
Warhorse

RE: Cave functions disappearing in Rising Sun

Post by Warhorse »

I thought there had been a problem with caves, and it had been fixed, but could be wrong? So, if you try later, to enter a previously functioning cave hex, now it doesn't even exist?!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Bigeard

Post by Bigeard »

Hi Mike [:)]

Yep, I know the old cave bug of which you speak. I think it was where the game would crash if you did cave-movement into a cave hex that had an Anerican unit in one of the six adjacent hexes. That was sorted out, and I've had no problem with it in this scenario.

More info on this new cave oddity - it seems that 'CV' will only show in the terrain info panel if the cave hex is within sight of a Japanese unit. And as the presence or absence of 'CV' corresponds to whether you can cave-move into that hex or not, we have the curious situation of being unable to do cave movement into a cave hex unless that destination cave hex is within sight of any Japanese unit. The cave is no longer there if no Japanese unit can see it - very odd !

Regards
Paul

Regards

Paul Kirkland
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Ahh, very interesting! You know, whilst playing PBEM against a fellow awhile ago, I could have sworn caves were no longer where I remembered them being, I was the Japanese. This is exactly what must have been going on!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Bigeard

Post by Bigeard »

Indeed Mike, that sounds like the problem. The cave graphic is still there in the hex, but it no longer functions as a cave hex.

Mr. Petho...any thoughts on this ? [:)]
Regards

Paul Kirkland
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

That is an odd one, indeed!

Something to add to the list of things to look at for the next Campaign Series UPDATE.

Jason Petho
Bigeard

Post by Bigeard »

Okay Jason, thanks for that. It's definitely LOS-related, so that might point to where in the code the glitch lies.

[:)]
Regards

Paul Kirkland

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”